1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,823 Posts

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
I'm slightly bewildered by this...

There's no doubt that the Klon is a great sounding pedal (I've got a Klon type in my rig), but is there an unidentifiable ingredient that makes the real Klon better than an exact clone? Until I saw this eBay ad, I figured that there must have been caps or pots used in the original release that aren't available now. Guess not. Bill is still getting ahold of the parts, so what stops a guy like Ceriatone 0r @Morattoampshop from making a true exact copy? Or, maybe the secret ingredients are gone, and this new Klon reissue won't have the same magic as the originals. In which case it's just a stupidly expensive klone.

Anyone?

·
Premium Member
13,020 Posts
What. It will only cost an arm, a leg and two testicles.

Reactions: mawmow

·
Registered
24,342 Posts
The pedal is intended, and desiged, to help an already great-sounding amp move from almost breaking up to breaking up beautifully. As the customer comment Bill would include in his intermittent ads would say: "It sounds like my amp, only bigger". So, based on that, I figure three outcomes of these ads:
1) The intended purchaser is fabulously wealthy and has a great amp.
2) The intended purchaser will not be able to afford a great amp after buying the pedal.
3) The intended purchaser has absolutely no idea what the pedal is intended to do.

·
Premium Member
8,478 Posts
The pedal is intended, and desiged, to help an already great-sounding amp move from almost breaking up to breaking up beautifully. As the customer comment Bill would include in his intermittent ads would say: "It sounds like my amp, only bigger". So, based on that, I figure three outcomes of these ads:
1) The intended purchaser is fabulously wealthy and has a great amp.
2) The intended purchaser will not be able to afford a great amp after buying the pedal.
3) The intended purchaser has absolutely no idea what the pedal is intended to do.
And that's why I sold my original and the JHS clone (which is the only clone Bill got angry over - do you know why? Ask him....).

I hate the sound of most amps breaking up.

·
Premium Member
64 Gretsch 6120, 65 Fender Tremolux and a 58 Supro 1624T
3,104 Posts
Hey,I saw this in the now defunct Book of Face, but it seems that Bill Finnegan builds them to help out his neighbor from time to time to help pay the bills.

Klon Centaur Professional Overdrive, silver finish | eBay
I won't get into the debate of weather or not the Klon is a great pedal. We don't need a gear page incident here. But it's been well known for a while that Bill is a douchey prick. He claims he's helping out a friend that's a single mom or some BS but he's really just capitalizing on the hype and selling new pedals under pseudonyms. He admitted in a interview once that Klon number one is actually number 10. He made number serial number 2 thru 10 first to fill orders then went back later to make number 1 for himself.

·
Premium Member
64 Gretsch 6120, 65 Fender Tremolux and a 58 Supro 1624T
3,104 Posts
And that's why I sold my original and the JHS clone (which is the only clone Bill got angry over - do you know why? Ask him....).

I hate the sound of most amps breaking up.
Josh is a douche to that just steals designs.

·
Premium Member
3,177 Posts
I'm slightly bewildered by this...

There's no doubt that the Klon is a great sounding pedal (I've got a Klon type in my rig), but is there an unidentifiable ingredient that makes the real Klon better than an exact clone? Until I saw this eBay ad, I figured that there must have been caps or pots used in the original release that aren't available now. Guess not. Bill is still getting ahold of the parts, so what stops a guy like Ceriatone 0r @Morattoampshop from making a true exact copy? Or, maybe the secret ingredients are gone, and this new Klon reissue won't have the same magic as the originals. In which case it's just a stupidly expensive klone.

Anyone?
The entire circuit is known save for one (unlabelled) and important part - the clipping diodes. Bill himself considers these critical and therefore a carefully guarded secret. The original boards were 'gooped' to make tracing the circuit harder. Before the Klones came out (enabling them to come out) a number of internet-famous DIY pedal builders (mHammer knows em) degooped and traced the citrcuit, and also extracted the diodes from multiple Klons and tested them; using these measurements they speculated on what the diodes could be and suggested work-alike alternatives. The debate is how close to being right they are about that.

Mass produced Klones (e.g. EH Soul Food) are less likely to use anything close to the original diodes; they'd use something more commonly available as new prod today. Some boutique Klones are "better" for that reason.

In my build I used the (widely accepted, but still debated, to be [close to] what was used by Bill) - Russian D9E germaniums.

·
Premium Member
8,478 Posts
The entire circuit is known save for one (unlabelled) and important part - the clipping diodes. Bill himself considers these critical and therefore a carefully guarded secret. The original boards were 'gooped' to make tracing the circuit harder. Before the Klones came out (enabling them to come out) a number of internet-famous DIY pedal builders (mHammer knows em) degooped and traced the citrcuit, and also extracted the diodes from multiple Klons and tested them; using these measurements they speculated on what the diodes could be and suggested work-alike alternatives. The debate is how close to being right they are about that.

Mass produced Klones (e.g. EH Soul Food) are less likely to use anything close to the original diodes; they'd use something more commonly available as new prod today. Some boutique Klones are "better" for that reason.

In my build I used the (widely accepted, but still debated, to be [close to] what was used by Bill) - Russian D9E germaniums.
Do you know what JHS used? That's the only company that bill confronted, so maybe there was something to that.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,177 Posts
Do you know what JHS used? That's the only company that bill confronted, so maybe there was something to that.
Not a clue; haven't bothered to try to find out cuz don't care ( I build my own). I suspect the confrontation was based on JHS being just big enough to make the point, but not too big so as to fight back
hard with a crack team of lawyers ( EH).

Even without the same diodes, the Klon circuit is unique enough to make the case IMHO ( evidence: people copy just the buffer section as stand alone pedal, though I'd say the rest of the circuit is even more unique). It's not just another tube screamer or DS/OD -1 variant for example.

P

·
0 Posts
I have 2 klones. They sound slightly different but both are very useful. Together works great too.

P

·
0 Posts
Oh yeah; they stack well.
I have a 2nd run Aluminum Falcon II (1st run had errors) and a Rimrock Lil Mo. I keep the drive very low. The AF2 is a little softer and sweeter sounding, the Lil Mo is tougher sounding. Both are great.

·
Premium Member
304 Posts

Great info, thank you. I suppose that's what makes the Klon so easily tweakable to suit each individual builder. All they've gotta do is mess around with a bunch of diodes and decide which one suits them best. I've heard a lot of builders describe their pedal as sounding better (to their ear) than the original.

I recently bought a Mythos Mjolnir (Klone) Joey Landreth Signature. It runs Russian Germanium Diodes. To my ear, it's the best sounding Klon/Klone that I've played.

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
To be quite fair, it's rediculousness like this that i started building my own pedals
Granted, my OCD has a little noise, and my RAT oscillates at high gain, these cost me a third of what buying them would've, and i appreciate them more...my sound is in fact me
But a pedal thats current got a bid of over $1700, just aint for me...
Id fear it being stolen
Id fear it getting broken
If i spent that much for a pedal, the rest of my gear much be insane...
And finally, is it really worth more than the $50 it would take to build it yourself?

And before i get flamed...there are pedals that i like, that i cant build, that are a couple hundred bucks...i would like them, cant afford them...and have nothing against people that can pay a couple hundred for a pedal...thats not my qualm...its the rediculous price tags like this...
But really...is it any different than Gibson? I would love to own the Joe Walsh 1960 signature LP...starting at $10k, no thanks...i think ill just get an R0 and not worry about the other $8k that the signature brings...but even then, i have a hard time wrapping my head around any instrument being worth over $2k

1 - 20 of 52 Posts