The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've recently fallen back into the fold with my first guitar in 25 years.... Now that I'm in full addiction mode, I figured I'd like to buy an acoustic to go with my Les Paul.

I'm looking for something that isn't as small as a parlour sized acoustic but isn't a "full sized" model either.... I'm not even sure this is a thing (again, full rookie here) but I'd like it to be... Is there like a parlour+ size? I look online and it seems like there are so many options I don't even know where to start.

Can anyone suggest something to look at in the $500-$750 range? Or perhaps give me an idea of a description/name/type that I can use when looking online?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Grand Auditorium, Grand Concert... those body sizes are smaller than a dreadnaught (which I assume is what you mean by full sized). Lots of options from many manufacturers- FS series from Yamaha is a great option that's reasonably priced and offers good value. LS6 fits your range also though at a higher pricepoint than the FS guitars.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
I have a 1991 model of this guitar:

Norman Guitars Canada - B20 Folk

It's very comfortable to play, considerably smaller than a typical dreadnaught, but still with a full size neck and scale length.

It's noticably quieter than a typical dread as well.

I haven't played a NEW one of these in years, so I'm not sure what the current models are like, but I certainly enjoy mine very much.

·
Registered
18,593 Posts
I would take a look at the following:

In alphabetical order.

Alvarez Masterworks
Blueridge
Eastman
Seagull or S & P
Yamaha

Reactions: Speirsy11

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
I agree with most suggestions so far, orchestra models.
But as you are an electric guy, I think scale lenght and nut width would matter.

You are looking for something about 25" scale lenght ?
(parlor go as short as 24")

Well, should I guess you also look for narrow string spacing ?
Acoustics stand between 1 5/8" and 1 3/4" nut width.

I wish you the best in your quest. ;-)

Your feeback would be interesting to some others wishing to follow same path.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wow, got busy at work and haven't had a chance to reply. Thanks for all the help everyone.

I went down to Long & McQuade on my way home from the office as well as St. John's Music. Both had several options that have been suggested here as well as a couple of others. I've narrowed my choices down to either the S&P Songsmith Folk or the Seagull in the same price range. Going to make my final decision today at lunch and pull the trigger. Leaning pretty heavily towards the S&P as it just felt like the right size, shape and sound for me.

St. John's music also had a Line 6 Variax 700 acoustic that really caught my eye. Size wise it seems like a great fit and has all those cool features for my son and I to play around with.....

I don't remember having so many choices years ago....... What a great hobby.

Thanks again; will update once the final purchase is made.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So, sometimes its better to be lucky than good.......

Walked into Quest Musique over lunch and as I'm walking in they are putting out a Seagull Excursion Folk that they just took on trade......

Excursion Natural Folk Solid Spruce

Pulled the trigger on it, got it for $245 with a gig bag. Can't beat that. Thanks again for the help prior to purchase everyone.

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Congrats. Just a quick note that you may already be aware of. Play the shit out of it. Play it hard and play it long. Those Seagulls open up over a bit of time and playing an sound fantastic once they're worked in (depending on how new that one is).s Might already be broken in a bit.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.