The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
9,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Big hair bands!

Fess up, you probably listened to them as much as I did. The 80's and 90's Glam bands, Big hair bands whatever you want to call them had a huge impact on me. What kind of impact did they have on you? Did it help to shape the kind of musician you would become?

IMHO I think the 80's decade had some of the best bands ever.

Who was or still is one of your favourites and why?

Did you rock the big hair or at least try to? I certainly did. I had blonde spiked hair and loved it.

I had a great appreciation for Wasp. Some killer guitar licks and great vocals. One of many big hair bands that I loved and constantly listened to and still do.

·
Premium Member
8,578 Posts
Yeah, I bypassed that era with a few exceptions - Van Halen principally. Mostly I was still exploring 60's and 70's classic rock, right up until a year or 2 into the 'grunge' era.

I couldn't name you a single Ratt or WASP or Poison song, and I consider myself to have a really good music knowledge background. I might know it if I heard it, but then turning it around, I probably couldn't tell you who the artist is. It's a blind spot of mine, but I just never really got into it.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Here's me in like grade 10. I was into all those bands, Bon Jovi, Poison, etc but then grunge hit and it was game over. I think a lot of people were tired of how shallow and pointless the hair bands were. There was more to life than "Cruising down the road with my baby yeah!". lol

Nirvana, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Alice In Chains, etc. It was like a wave that just took over.

Not sure why this is posting the pic twice and i think I drew on the pic with highlighter at some point.

·
Registered
9,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here's me in like grade 10. I was into all those bands, Bon Jovi, Poison, etc but then grunge hit and it was game over. I think a lot of people were tired of how shallow and pointless the hair bands were. There was more to life than "Cruising down the road with my baby yeah!". lol

Nirvana, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Alice In Chains, etc. It was like a wave that just took over.

Not sure why this is posting the pic twice and i think I drew on the pic with highlighter at some point.

You remind me if the band "Flock of Seagulls".

·
Premium Member
11,867 Posts
I tolerated the 80s. It was a good decade for the amount of live music that was out there, but the content left much to be desired, IMO. I had quite a few friends playing for a living at the time while I chose post secondary education and a real career.

The only musical highlight I can think of were Saga. I'm glad Pantera slammed that whole big-hair era closed with a resounding thud.

·
Premium Member
9,752 Posts
I keep waiting for the same thing to happen to rap. Yet it keeps going right along that same road. Even the stuff with a "message" is pretty tired and overdone.
I think the image and excess of 80's bands needed to be toned down to more realistic levels. But the music was great, and on the whole I think the talent has yet to be surpassed by any particular genre /era. funnily enough, the excess I referred to still pretty much continued on into grunge... they just weren't as proud of it. substance abuse wasn't just "having fun". they recognized it as pitiful....but did it anyway.
the other funny thing I remember about the '80s was, everyone was so homophobic....yet looking back, we all looked pretty gay lol. and it wasn't just the hair bands...pop, alternative, r&b....all very effeminate.

·
Premium Member
9,752 Posts
I'm glad Pantera slammed that whole big-hair era closed with a resounding thud.
errr...right.

on the same note, some of us remember when Zakk Wylde

used to look like this

someday ppl will realize that when you got past the hair and spandex, how influential the music of the 80s was (to rock at least).

Reactions: Dorian2

·
Registered
11,265 Posts
I keep waiting for the same thing to happen to rap. Yet it keeps going right along that same road. Even the stuff with a "message" is pretty tired and overdone.
Rap is popular and keeps growing because it changes with the times. I'm not a fanboy but I have to give them credit for evolving the form and adapting.

·
Registered
11,265 Posts
This killed hair metal.

I was still in elementary school and I remember how big this was. I just started to hear about bands like Bon Jovi, Motley Crue and Guns and Roses then Nirvana and Pearl Jam hit. I took a detour but eventually went back to rummage through the hair scene, thankfully it was more of a learning expedition before moving on to the 70's and 60's. These days I take a little bit of everything but try to focus on the current stuff.

·
Premium Member
9,752 Posts
Rap is popular and keeps growing because it changes with the times. I'm not a fanboy but I have to give them credit for evolving the form and adapting.
can you elaborate? I don't see it at all, but id love some insight to its longevity.
To me, it seems to come in 2 forms...the superficial "...rolling in my lambo, with big ass hoes, drinking henny..." stuff, and the "deeper" overdone angry thug life crap about the streets and bad cops etc that is mostly a fantasy world for 99% of their listeners. And it really hasn't changed except for whatever brand names they drop in their songs.

·
Registered
11,265 Posts
can you elaborate? I don't see it at all, but id love some insight to its longevity.
To me, it seems to come in 2 forms...the superficial "...rolling in my lambo, with big ass hoes, drinking henny..." stuff, and the "deeper" overdone angry thug life crap about the streets and bad cops etc that is mostly a fantasy world for 99% of their listeners. And it really hasn't changed except for whatever brand names they drop in their songs.
I can't remember the whole discussion but tuning in to a music talk radio show the panel talked about how since its inception and time in the mainstream rap has changed and given the listener something new multiple times while other genres have not been as progressive. I realize this isn't much of an elaboration mostly because I wasn't paying enough attention to remember everything but I do remember thinking they were on to something. It was mostly a rock and pop panel so they weren't all biased but who knows? I do remember them mentioning rock hasn't given us anything new in a long time. What was the last big thing? Grunge? I'm seriously asking, not arguing. Its also hard to pick out specific changes in rap when I don't listen to or follow it but you can't argue that something isn't being done right with how big it is in the popular culture of today.

·
Premium Member
11,867 Posts
errr...right.

Exactly my point. /\ before CFH. \/ after CFH.

This was the future for metal, transitioning from the 80s and into the 90s. Extremely influential for the rest of that decade.

Bigger picture, the whole popular metal 'wave' was crushed by Grunge in the early 90s, by primarily Nirvana. But metal did carry on, just in a very different form than the hair metal of the 80s.

1 - 20 of 113 Posts