The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Basically what the title asks. When's the best time of the year to buy a guitar, to get a great deal?

My guesses would be either before or after christmas.

What do you think?

·
Administrator
15,823 Posts
Good question, tough answer. Could always pick up a deal on that unwanted Xmas gift... lot's of buying going on at the end of the year with those bonuses. Thats when I used to splurge a bit. Not sure thats the best "buying" time though.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I always thought around Xmas would be the best time. But I've never really noticed any big difference (maybe a little but not much) between sales around xmas from sales at any other time. Most stores seem to always have the same sale every time, no matter what time of the year it is.

Does anyone know of any store that has great sales?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh, believe you me, the funds are very available...

I have more then enough (way more then enough... you'd be surprised how much money a 22 yr old can save working for his uncle since he was 16) to buy any Gibson (including custom shop) if I wanted one... but I'm a real cheapskate, and don't like Gibsons anyways. :tongue:

And, well, I'm just trying to save as much money now, while I'm young, and I don't want to spend a butt load of cash on a guitar if I can be satisfied with a cheaper one. BTW, to me a butt load of cash would be anything over $1000.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I don't think that guitars are like home electronics in that way. I haven't noticed any great times to buy guitar stuff

·
Registered
33 Posts
I agree with Nine. I rarely ever see any seasonal sales for guitars and the like. Most of the ones I've seen have been anniversary sales, and those are just one day (maybe one week for a larger shop with an advertising budget).

So, what are you looking for?

·
Registered
34 Posts
To be honest, whenever the fall comes around (like it has lately) I get a jonesin' for some new and exciting piece of gear. The leaves falling, the smell of the air, the colour of the sky... it all just makes me crave a new guitar. I guess it doesn't help that the last few guitars I've bought were all in autumn, so as to cater to this urge. The more I feed it the more it grows...
what will I buy this year? Drool

·
Registered
635 Posts
The Nazz Are Blue said:
To be honest, whenever the fall comes around (like it has lately) I get a jonesin' for some new and exciting piece of gear. The leaves falling, the smell of the air, the colour of the sky... it all just makes me crave a new guitar. I guess it doesn't help that the last few guitars I've bought were all in autumn, so as to cater to this urge. The more I feed it the more it grows...
what will I buy this year? Drool
Your body knows that you're about to be stuck indoors for 9 months. Unfortunately, your bank account doesn't share this seasonal "guitar sense" and will be shocked. :smile:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
^ LOL.

I guess there really is no "best time to get the best deal". Damnit:mad:

bubkusjones said:
So, what are you looking for?
I knew that if I mentioned a $1000 price limit someone would get curious about what I want. LOL

Nothing to spectacular though. My goal is to find a very nice playable MIM strat or tele, and use a little of the left overs to get a new bridge, pups and elec, and tuners... But, alas, that is proving to be very difficult.

Really though, any model fender in the $500 - $1000 range will do... I'd really not want to spend more then $800 though, but if I likes enough I buys it.. I've had close calls but still no cigar.

I played an Eric Johson factory 2nd last week at the Long & Mcquade near my house... was going for like $1600. But I just can't justify spending that much on a guitar. I mean, it played better then any other guitar in the store, and I have the money for it.

I went back today and played it again, one clerk said he would'nt charge tax if I could pay for in full right then, but once again... I'm a cheap bastard. If they would sell it for $1000 no tax, I'd be all over it in a second. But that aint ever gonna happen.

Besides if I get something that expensive for me I'l have to get something expensive for my girlfriend, which will end up putting me about $2000 in the hole.

·
Registered
546 Posts
I would after Christmas is the best time.

Jan. Feb. are slow. If I wanted a particular piece, I'd make offers then.

The stores that haven't had a great christmas will be willing to move stuff.

See something you like make an offer. Be prepared to walk away. It's fun and it works.

"Ok then if you can't deal put it back on the rack"

Rent costs the same in Feb as December:smile:

·
Registered
546 Posts
NoTSoAgILe said:
^ LOL.

I guess there really is no "best time to get the best deal". Damnit:mad:

I knew that if I mentioned a $1000 price limit someone would get curious about what I want. LOL

Nothing to spectacular though. My goal is to find a very nice playable MIM strat or tele, and use a little of the left overs to get a new bridge, pups and elec, and tuners... But, alas, that is proving to be very difficult.

Really though, any model fender in the $500 - $1000 range will do... I'd really not want to spend more then $800 though, but if I likes enough I buys it.. I've had close calls but still no cigar.

I played an Eric Johson factory 2nd last week at the Long & Mcquade near my house... was going for like $1600. But I just can't justify spending that much on a guitar. I mean, it played better then any other guitar in the store, and I have the money for it.

I went back today and played it again, one clerk said he would'nt charge tax if I could pay for in full right then, but once again... I'm a cheap bastard. If they would sell it for $1000 no tax, I'd be all over it in a second. But that aint ever gonna happen.

Besides if I get something that expensive for me I'l have to get something expensive for my girlfriend, which will end up putting me about $2000 in the hole.
2 Things.

1. Are you married? If not why $1000 to the girlfriend. If she has to be compensated for your toy buying with your money you have a problem.

2. You want a top drawer guitar, but you don't want to pay for it. You won't get one ( unless you get real lucky. I hope you do:wink: ). Margins on the high end stuff are not that high. The stores don't have a lot of money to be made there.

Just my humble opinion

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
when they`re used...any time of year. Generally over here the shops will have sales once or twice a year, I mean big sales and I`ve taken advantage in the past but nowadays...it`s used for me...unless they make me an offer I can`t refuse.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
elindso said:
2 Things.

1. Are you married? If not why $1000 to the girlfriend. If she has to be compensated for your toy buying with your money you have a problem.

2. You want a top drawer guitar, but you don't want to pay for it. You won't get one ( unless you get real lucky. I hope you do:wink: ). Margins on the high end stuff are not that high. The stores don't have a lot of money to be made there.

Just my humble opinion
I'm not married to her but I will marry her somday, we've already had the marriage talk and we'd both love to get married in the future, just not while we're this young.

LOL I feel you misunderstood me. IF I would've bought the EJ strat for $1600 I would feel like I'd have to buy her something real nice. Which would have put me about $2000 depending on the gift. It's not that I'd have to buy her something just because I got something, she could careless.... I'd want her to have something nice so she would feel just as good as I do because I've got a new guitar. And she would never let me spend $1000 on a gift for her, we have a limit of $500, and we've rarely ever get near there anyways.

I'd really like a top drawer guitar, but, yes, I wouldn't want to pay for it. I find that even MIA's aren't worth the price they sell for here in Canada. But if I can find a fender MIM that plays as good as, or better then my agile strat copy I'll be happy to pay for it, and just upgrade what I don't like. It's just really hard trying to find an MIM without sharp frets, or fret buzz for some reason... I know the're out there, I just haven't found one yet.

Thanks for all the input guys. Would buying a guitar before xmas be just as good as after though. Wouldn't they want to get rid of most of their stock while people are searching for gifts. Or would they just wait t'ill someone wants to pay sticker because of the same "gift" reason.

·
Registered
217 Posts
You know I was thinking before Xmas 'cause you've got all these broke musicians wanting to buy gifts for their kids or girl freinds and fund those purchases by selling off one of their guitars.

You can without too much problem pick up a good Fender for under a grand, second hand and by the e bay route.
Personally, never having played an MIM Fender, I would go with the Japanese Fenders, especially look at the Squire series for much better pricing and arguable equally good guitars to the MIA's.
Go to the Fender Forum and read all about em.
Benee Wafers

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Well, whenever I completely give up on trying to find a good Fender MIM, then I will probably buy an MIA, or one of the better MIM models, untill then I'm shooting for an MIM. The main reason why I want to get an MIM standard is because of the smaller 42mm nut width, it feels a lot more comfy then the 43mm MIA's.The classic series look like good guitars, and have my prefered 42mm nut width, but I haven't found one yet so I'm not sure if I'll like them or not. I'd also love to find a MIJ because I've heard great things about them, but I just can't find any around here. No way am I getting a squier. Can't stand the feel of them, I mean I could always swap out the neck with the left over cash... but, in my mind it's still gonna be a squier.

And ebay is not an option because I want to try it before hand... it seems there are a lot of MIM duds floating around and ebay seems like the perfect place to get one. If I can't find a good one that I've actually played, then I'll be way to worried that I'll find a bad on ebay.

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
best time to buy anything if when no one else is buying.

"rent is the same in February as it is in December" sounds good to me.

make an offer and let them walk away from it if they dare.

reguardless of what retailers may tell you, there is plenty of markup to play with.

Allways talk with the seller that can finalize a deal. Not everyone in a store has the capacity to offer a discount.

Do your homework and shop around. Only then will you know if your getting a good price. If you are getting a decent price from a seller, stop procrastinating and buy the dammed thing. Thats why you went thru this quest in the first place.

OK..the sermon is over.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Hey Notsoagile,
You sound like a very smart guy at 22! Your girlfriend better stick with you. Sounds like you are interested in a strat type guitar. I really like the MIM strats! They feel nice and are well set. Priced very nice. I don't like the fact they only have 20 frets though. If you are looking at the $500.00 range of guitars, I'd say thats your best bet. Schecter makes some really nice guitars. You should give them a try.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Dat's It!!

There are many places on where to find good deals on all kinds of gear. The Triad (which has just about anything your looking for) is good for good used gear at decent prices, ebay of course, local papers, music123.com , theottawamusician.com , etc. Basically, if you have patience and are willing to do the grunt work, you'll find what your looking for at a price your willing to pay. Don't forget, an asking price is just an asking price! This site also has it's sources:tongue:

1 - 20 of 40 Posts