The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
tapping into the GC collective brain trust...

I need one of those big cans of it....and maybe a couple smaller bottles too?

thx!

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Gotta watch you aren't buying last years or watered down. I don't trust the early march roadside stands (frozen year old).
Rowe Farms has a great name. That's the first I've heard of them having it

·
Registered
18,597 Posts
Costco has 1 litre bottles. I buy those regularly.

Reactions: fretzel

·
Premium Member
6,692 Posts
I have a friend in southern Quebec, who between him and a neighbor do a batch of syrup every year "the old fashioned way". They cook it down over a real wood fire using wild cherry lumber. He says commercially produced syrup uses natural gas fires these days and it adds a taste. They can it for their own use and family/friends. The whole industry is horribly over-regulated, and it sounds like a real scam of a system. Somebody is getting rich and it sure isn't the tree owners.
Anyway, he sends me syrup every year, and it's wonderful. :)

·
Registered
18,597 Posts
+1. I buy the dark/fonce stuff. It's stronger tasting so you can use less, too.

Occasionally, I like to add a little maple syrup to strong black coffee ;)
I like the darker ones as well. Springridge Farm out in Milton should have what you want.

Reactions: bolero

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I like the stronger taste of the dark stuff, drink it in orange pekoe tea

I'll get some light, for pancakes though!!

Thx all

·
Registered
7,501 Posts
Lots around the St Jacobs and Elmira area.
Sometimes the Mennonites from the Elmira, St Jacobs area set up road side stands to sell their syrup. I've seen them on the 24 highway in between Cambridge and Brantford. When I see them I always stop and buy if I've got cash on me.
I make a big breakfast for the family every Saturday that includes pancakes so I go through a lot of maple syrup. I usually just buy the real syrup from Zehrs as its convenient. Its expensive but I refuse to buy the cheap fake stuff.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.