The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys.

I've had a couple of equipment failures at my last 2 gigs and i'm going to be doing some revamping of my rig and gear which is going to include some new cabling.

Looking for recommendation on where to get the best bang for my buck.

·
Premium Member
Air guitar
3,254 Posts
If you're talking just instrument cables the Studio One Cables from L&M are a little on the spendy side of things but they have a lifetime warranty. I have returned a few and they just exchange them no questions asked.

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
L&M had 20' braided cables for a while. They were in a bin by the cash, like they weren't a stock item. I have one and it has been worry free. I went to get another one and they were out. I bought a studio one. Seems like a fairly heavy duty thing. I use two and I always keep a third in my kit. Even the best cables malfunction.

·
Premium Member
12,980 Posts
For pedal interconnects, I bought some cheap cables with really cheap pancake right angle connectors. What a waste of money. They ended up being no end of problems. I also have some slightly less cheap molded ones that are still working after a decade or so. If you gig, there is no amount of savings that will justify troubleshooting a pedalboard while the rest of the band is tapping their foot, waiting for you to get your shit together.

I've since increased my stock of good Switchcraft 228 right angle pancake plugs and have made my own (had to interconnect 2 new pedalboards a decade ago). I have Switchcraft 228's from the 70s that are still working flawlessly, after being stepped on and tripped over and probably anything else you can imagine. I haven't had any intermittent pedalboard issues since.

But I did recently buy a few stereo cables off of Amazon for what I consider 'non critical' applications: they are used for my footswitch and don't carry audio. I can live without my footswitch for a night but a bad audio path is unacceptable. So far, those cables have worked fine. The quality of the right angle plug on the one end, although Asian, is far superior to the ones I bought a decade ago (they were complete crap).

·
Premium Member
3,472 Posts
That doesn't sound like very good quality to me. Nothing worse than have a noisy crappy cable during a jam.
I am also trying to fond a good reliable cable as well.
Considerring the punishment some (most) musicians put their cables through, it's damn near inevitable - that's why we carry spares (like @Fuzzy dagger said). That's also why I don't use molded. As long as they use quality parts (they do - Amphenol connectors, which is my preference for 1/4 TS and TRS - yes, I prefer them to Neutrik) then there's hardly more one could expect (Yorkville's workmanship is not sloppy either).

That said I have not used these in particular (I been rolling my own for years now), but if I were to buy a cable, Amphenol connectors AND lifetime warranty redeemable at any L&M; I know what my choice would be.

·
Premium Member
Air guitar
3,254 Posts
That doesn't sound like very good quality to me. Nothing worse than have a noisy crappy cable during a jam.
I am also trying to fond a good reliable cable as well.
I returned one because a cat bit through it and the other was my own stupid fault putting a chair with steel legs on it and cutting through it... never had any actual failures from manufacturing issues!

·
Registered
806 Posts
Been using Planet Waves for years now -- also a great warranty but never have had to use it. I have the Custom Series version.

·
Premium Member
1,037 Posts
Were your cable failures by instrument cables, or on your pedalboard?

I'm a sucker for fancy schmancy instrument cables, particularly ones with silent plugs. But they're not cheap regardless of where you get them. Here's a run down from my experience. None have failed me.
1. Custom cables made by Mike Vegas at Nice Rack Canada.
2. Lava's Ultramafic and Retro Coils. Light weight and well made.
3. Divine Noise coils. Very heavy so I don't like them pulling on my guitar. I use them from pedalboard to amp.
4. Bullet coils. Ugly and heavy. My wife doesn't want to see them.

·
Registered
12,721 Posts
Spectraflex make some good affordable cables.
The last ones I got though were within the forum when Scott was selling gear, a good while ago.

For pedalboard cables, check out EBS Flats.

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
Spectraflex make some good affordable cables.
The last ones I got though were within the forum when Scott was selling gear, a good while ago.

For pedalboard cables, check out EBS Flats.
EBS flats are amazing. I found them by accident a couple weeks ago on a visit to Cosmos music. I put together a very small compact pedal board so was looking for something just like that. Seem like really good quality. So far so good.

·
Premium Member
18,779 Posts
@amagras and @Judas68fr

Thanks for the vote of confidence!

It is pleasing to know that the cables are holding up and being used. @Fox Rox also told me recently that he like the cables I made for him.

Unfortunately, my plate too full at the moment to take on a project of this nature.

If anyone else wants to make up some cables with Mogami, please PM me and I will provide (likely a bit outdated by now) all the information I can to assist. You need buy at least 200 feet (61 meters) or more to get a decent price/unit length.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
I'm looking up the prices on these cables and they don't seem expensive to me.
OK, what's expensive to you? When I was first buying them they were less than a dollar a foot, but they are more than twice that now.

The blue Studioflex ones are even better. I think they used to make the green ones with Canare GS-6, but that's only on the blue ones now.

They used to have the bigger Neutrik NP2C ends that I like, I think you can still get them, but the catalogue has the skinny NP2X plugs.

I've been pretty resolute to make my own cables, but the price of GS-6 cable, and generally the convenience of gettimg something done well, keeps me from doing it. I'm pretty sure you can get very good at it pretty quickly.

·
Premium Member
3,472 Posts
@amagras and @Judas68fr

Thanks for the vote of confidence!

It is pleasing to know that the cables are holding up and being used. @Fox Rox also told me recently that he like the cables I made for him.

Unfortunately, my plate too full at the moment to take on a project of this nature.

If anyone else wants to make up some cables with Mogami, please PM me and I will provide (likely a bit outdated by now) all the information I can to assist. You need buy at least 200 feet (61 meters) or more to get a decent price/unit length.
Well if Greco is bowing out, I've got a km or 2 of Gotham GAC-1 guitar cable (black) and black Amphenol M series jacks - mostly straight but some r angle. No gold; waste of money (rubs off after a while with repeat insertions). The Gotham is every bit as good as the Mogami but much cheaper; in some ways maybe better (double Reussen shield is better at EMI rejection; a conductive PVC layer over the center conductor's insulation allows any static build up from movement to leak to the shield and be grounded before it has any harmful effects such as microphonic pops and clicks - that's out of their prod lit; never had a problem with pops and clicks with any cable as far as I recall, but I have always used the shortest cables possible, which also helps). Well respected in both guitar and HiFi circles. I have built a few things for folks around here.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts