The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
combo?

gotta agree [to a degree] on the 2554....
very small combo packing 25-50 watts through a single vintage 30...?
yea thats something!!!...they are indeed nice amps for what they are.
recently picked one up for grins... doesnt do everything my masters can, but
it is compact.
I just wish marshall wouldve had the good sense to offer a matched one or two 12 extension cab to match those jub combos.

back in the day I found the 2554 to be more of a cruel joke and never took them serious... today, theyre a back saver....
as much as I like the sound of my 2 vintage marshall 2x12 combos around with their matched 2x12 cabs that I a/b between...my back doesnt like lugging them round so much :)

its my understanding that the transformer in the 2554 and 2558 are different [wimpier] than the heads due to the limited space inside of the combos ? this is true correct ?
I will say the combos sound nothing like the 2550,2553 head counterparts.

I've heard rave reviews on that 18 watt marshall... is that the mini bluebreaker look a like ?

I'll still maintain the 50 watt master combos from late '76 -78 are the finest.
but everyone hears things differently.

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Hey Big White, I have one of those 4010's too.

What a killer little amp they are.

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
dwagar said:

I'm jealous...the 2203 is my favorite Marshall, so I'm sure the combo is amazing too.

·
Registered
375 Posts
dwagar said:

Yes, I went on a major search for a Marshall when I bought mine,tried almost every model and configuration. I think they sound great, and I like the small combo. Its so easy to grab and go, it fills a room nicely, and if you want , hook up a cab and youve got the same thing as a head. It just makes so much sense to me to have a little combo, rather than packing a big head and cabinet. I doubt the combo weighs much more than 10 ponds than a 2203 head. And theyre about the same price as a head alone.

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
sometimes you just get lucky.
I got mine about 15 years ago, decided I wanted a tube Marshall combo, knew nothing about them. God knows what I could have ended up with.
This one popped up in the Bargain Finder, $350. Price was right so I grabbed it.

I've since bought a JTM60, 2-12 with the 2-12 ext cab, I normally use it for gigging, I like the channel switching. And I've got a lot more $ into it than the 4010. But it really isn't 1/2 the amp the JCM800 is IMO.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts