The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know Gibson is probably out of my range. I want to buy new preferably.

Would the epiphone elitist, etc series be good?
Heritage?
I dont know...I just started getting into les pauls lol
I would prefer something with decent pickups, but yeah I could also go get a set from guitarfetish anyway, so not problem.

I think it might be final...Les pauls are now my favorite style guitar :|

·
Registered
131 Posts
PRS Singlecut SE. Elitist Epis are around the $1000 range. You're looking at the regular production Epiphone LPs with your budget. But with $600, you can definitely get an LP Custom if you like the looks of the guitar...I certainly do.

Still, my vote goes for the Singlecut SEs - I have heard nothing but good things about them.

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
If you are not concerned with the "coolness" factor, Yamaha AES620 is a great guitar for the money. Might even be a great guitar period. Solidly built, good components, JB humbucker in the bridge and Yamaha custom pickup in the neck. You can probably pick one up on Ebay for $400 or so maybe $500. I have one and have gotten over not being "cool".

But just for the record, I AM cool!

·
Registered
233 Posts
If your looking for something LP-ish you may want to consider one of the Roxbury custom shop guitars I carry. Similar to the PRS singlecut but in my opinion (if that matters) they are a better quality than the imported ones, lots of great features and they eat up those Epis.

·
Premium Member
5,121 Posts
I got an Agile recently (2500 Goldtop) and an really impressed with it. Better construction then most Epiphones I have played, and has better stock pickups and hardware. And the craziest part is you can find them used for half your budget.

Reverend makes a cool LP-ish guitar too. As far as guitars in the under $600 price range go, Reverend are probably the best guitars I have played.

·
Registered
3,310 Posts
Used Agile (ebay): save a ton off the new price AND get it shipped USPS to avoid all the BS boarder charges! :food-smiley-004:

However, I would really look into a Japanese made Edwards. We have a board member here overseas who has been selling some very cool Japanese guitars. Give him a shout. Edwards come stock with SD pickups, good wood, hardware, etc etc.

TG

·
Registered
131 Posts
I'm kinda surprised no one's mentioned Tokai.
You wouldn't be able to pick up a Tokai around here unless it were from the used market. I would also comment that the lower end Tokai models are probably not as well built as their upper end guitars, which would exceed the $600 budget.

·
Premium Member
16,576 Posts
If it doesn't have to be new, a Gibson Les Paul Studio is in your range. I bought one fo about $650. I didn't like the pickups and so I sold them but kept the guitar pending a pickup upgrade.

It's in my closet right now.

If you want one to work on (you'd need pickups), PM me with an offer.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
interesting, I was just going to suggest trying to find a used Studio in that price range, but if you couldn't you might find a Special.

Buy that one from Milkman, add pickups, and you'll have the real thing.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Or....

Try out a new Hagstrom Swede; the old ones were incredible guitars and the new ones are made to the same design in Korea. Materials may differ slightly but a good design is a good design.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Try out a new Hagstrom Swede; the old ones were incredible guitars and the new ones are made to the same design in Korea. Materials may differ slightly but a good design is a good design.
I second that about the Swede. I work on a television series with a musical component. A nice trans wine-coloured Swede came in as product placement last year and we still keep it on set. I just came away from playing it for a few minutes - sort of my own personal stress buster. Anyway, what a great guitar. Well built, nice design, thick and resonant... great headstock shape and binding, too. And an effortless neck to play... I am constantly surprised by how supple it feels.

Brand new these guys go for about six bills and though they're made in China this and the other Hags we have kicking around are pretty damn nice. I have dibs on the Swede for when the shooting season is done. I only hope it doesn't get banged around too much by the shooting crew... sometimes the grip guys can run roughshod over things.

Edit: I also cast a vote for the Yamaha AES620... very nice guitars and they're highly thought of in some circles. Yamaha doesn't have a cool rep here in North America (at least not in popular/rock music circles) but I am often impressed by the build quality and craftsmanship of the ones that I encounter.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Terrible how that happens, ain't it?

·
Registered
652 Posts
It kinda helps to know what kinda music you can play.
The Epi Standard is a great Blues guitar. For more raunch you may want a hollow body. For metal you would need EMG's..:food-smiley-004:

1 - 20 of 85 Posts