The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its a question that has been asked countless times before,
But each pedal has its quirks and shortcomings.

I'm thinking of getting one, but with so many options its hard to choose.
I'm looking to get that dub reggae oscillation vibe.

Share your thoughts and comments below

·
Premium Member
5,706 Posts
low budget, look for joyo.

·
Premium Member
28,370 Posts
Opinions vary, but my own contention is that a big part of what people like about analog delays is actually the filtering, and not the means of achieving the delay. Historically, analog delays preceded digital. Analog delays were limited in their bandwidth, and required heavy filtering to keep the clock whine out of the output, especially when aiming for long delay times that necessitated clocking in the audio and audible range. So when digital delay permitted much greater bandwidth, manufacturers lept at the opportunity. Trouble is that echoes and revereration in the real world get absorbed by the environment around it, killing top end. So in many respects, analog - despite having many shortcomings - provides better emulation of real-world ambient spaces. BUT, there is no reason why similar sorts of filteringcan be applied to digital delays, and many manufacturers have learned that lesson.

Roger Mayer, in an interview in Dave Hunter's guitar pedal book, espouses some ideas about why he believes analog delays sound better than digital. The crux of it is that the decay sounds better in analog, because analog has essentially infinite resolution, whereas there is a decreasing number of bits to encode the signal as it dies out. As resolution in pedals moves upward from 10 bits to 12,16, and 24, that argument starts to matter less. In fairness, Mayer's comments were from well over a decade ago. But the upshot is that one should not be afraid of budget digital delays any more. That doesn't mean that there is NO audible difference that may appeal to you, just that there won't be any "dear lord, what IS that ungodly sound?".

The brunt of budget digital delays will use the Princeton Technologies PT2399 chip or PT2395. The 2399 includes its own RAM and is capable of arond 350-400msec on its own. The 2395 uses a higher-capacity external RAM chip and can take you out to around 800msec. With the right design, several 2399's can be cascaded to yield longer total delays. The 2399 chip (Used in the FAB delay) can be bought for under 50 cents.

Panasonic used to make the most commonly used bucket brigade chips, but stopped production in the late 80's or early 90's. Behringer still needed BBDs for their chorus and flanger pedals, as did those Asian companies making karaoke machines, so several companies purchased or leased the dies from Panasonic and began their own production. Coolaudio makes the chips for Behringer. More recently, Xvive began makng clones of the earlier 2ndgeneration delay chips that were used in the Memory Man and early-release DM-2. Xvive makes their own oedals, but gutshots show that EHX also uses them for the Memory Boy pedals.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'd like to add that it doesn't have to be ANALOG, hybrids and such work just as well.

I should have said "analog style"

I'm looking for the warmth and the oscillation

·
Registered
929 Posts
The Ibanez DE7 is fabulous but may be hard to find as I think it's out of production. I'm currently running a Seymour Duncan vapor trail. It's incredible. Very comparable to the carbon copy but with more visible, accessible controls.

·
Premium Member
3,806 Posts
low budget, look for joyo.
Joyo (as well as Biyang and other rebrands of both - e.g. Akai) are NOT analog. They are based on the PT2399 digital delay chip which is 'analog modelling' in that it allows for making the repeats get darker with every generation (like a vintage original gen analog Memory Man; see also @mhammer 's post above) but they are still not analog. Yes, I am aware that the Biyang in particular says 'analog delay' right on the thing, but I have one and have opened it up. It is a good sounding pedal (not as good sounding as my old Memory Man, but a hell of a lot quieter and longer delay time), but some cheap parts in there (e.g. the max delay time switch, which doubles the delay time by putting a second chip into the circuit, on mine broke; tried replacing it but the cheesey PCB couldn't take the heat and I buggerred a trace; had to hack it with a jumper). Don't buy used, you can get one (like one version/brand or another) for $60ish new and the used ones are going for 50 aslks (dunno if people buyin at that price) and since they don't take abuse well it's worth the extra $10-20 to make sure you have a new one that ain't broken.

This is the one I have (you can have mine for $25 local pickup - that's what the enclosure/knobs/chip /jacks alone are worth if I part it out; works with the caveats mentionned above):

And here's the Akai (exact same pedal; diff paint job; cooler brand name):

The Joyo is the same circuit (1 chip only thho - no switch) but different PCB and enclosure. Also more honest about being digital vs Analog. I never used one, but I have used and modded my friend's Joyo Fuzz and I think it wouldn't break as easy (for one thing it doesn't have the switch, which is a weak point):

The new Boss Wazacraft pedals are getting good reviews. The DM-2W is $199 new at L&M.

Boss - Waza Craft Delay Pedal

+1 on this. Great deal when they came out ($100 special at L&M; you can get them used for about that much, perhaps a bit more... I shoulda bought more than one!).

There's 2 modes - classic DM-2 (analog) and extra long delay time (digital - not openned it so not sure but probably PT2399 based; it's a good chip though, nothing wrong with that).

I currently rock this as my second, short delay (original mode), and use a DIY PT2399 based thing with modulation on the tails for my long delay.

·
Registered
349 Posts
There's 2 modes - classic DM-2 (analog) and extra long delay time (digital - not openned it so not sure but probably PT2399 based; it's a good chip though, nothing wrong with that).
Are you sure custom mode is digital? The pedal's very clearly advertised as 100% analog circuitry (although it does also talk about 'analog tones' in custom mode). I was just doing some searches and haven't found anything else that says it's digital in that mode.

Anyway, +1 on the DM-2w, love mine, regardless of the possible digital content!

·
Premium Member
3,806 Posts
Are you sure custom mode is digital? The pedal's very clearly advertised as 100% analog circuitry (although it does also talk about 'analog tones' in custom mode). I was just doing some searches and haven't found anything else that says it's digital in that mode.

Anyway, +1 on the DM-2w, love mine, regardless of the possible digital content!
Y'know I am not sure. Coulda swore I read that in the prod lit before I bought mine but can't find anything to confirm it either way right now. The 2 modes do not sound the same.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.