The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

Best HSS

4K views 48 replies 22 participants last post by  TimH 
#1 ·
Hello fellow gear junkies!

I am shopping around for yet another HSS configured guitar. My top choice is a Suhr Classic Pro. But being that there are close to 0 dealers in Canada, I thought maybe I am missing out on options I am unaware of.

If you are an HSS fan, what are you currently hooked on playing, or dreaming about buying?

What do you think are over rated, what are under rated?

Let's find me a new guitar! Haha

#9 ·
Do you have a strat-ish guitar that has some OTHER pickup config?

Switching a strat to HSS is not a difficult thing to do.
Yup you bet. Also a couple that are already HSS. I just love guitars and specifically that set up. So looking for another. But I would like to get something other than a fender or partscaster this time. That's why I'm looking for some other suggestions I may be over looking. But if I can't find something, I won't be disappointed with a fender elite

#16 ·
Do you have a strat-ish guitar that has some OTHER pickup config?

Switching a strat to HSS is not a difficult thing to do.
Just pick up a nice Strat which is either HSS already or do a full new pickguard and convert it to HSS with the pickups and wiring you like.

I did this with my 96 Strat this year, I bought it when I was 16 but didn't play it much anymore but wanted to use it. I rewired it completely with Vinham Pickups (Texas Reds (SC's) and a 6070 (HB) and it's shocking how even the pups are with NO spike when going to the Humbucker, plus Craigs Pups sound amazing! I did the wiring a little fancier with an S1 Vol/Coil split for the humbucker, a volume for the single coils and a master tone. This guitar is now rivaling my LP Standard for my #1, it's crazy versatile, dare I say more versatile than my Standard!

#25 ·
Just pick up a nice Strat which is either HSS already or do a full new pickguard and convert it to HSS with the pickups and wiring you like.
If you're going to do this, the only caveat I'd add is try to find one that's routed for a humbucker in the bridge. Some of Fender's vintage-style guitars are routed for SSS, so you'd need to route one of those out to add a humbucker. It's not undoable, but a bit more work.

I added a humbucker to an American Deluxe a while back and it was pretty straight forward to do. I used a Duncan JB with two Vintage Hot Stack Plus pickups and they match really well.

#17 ·
Surh or Tom Anderson are both exceptional. However, if you like the neck profile of the American Fender guitars one can be very happy with a simple pickguard swap as suggested previously. For me, suhr electronics make the guitar really nice for a fairly low cost.

#30 · (Edited)
I have taken several really good Strats and installed various loaded HSS pick guards, but they seem to lose that special something in the quack department. I need my SSS tone to be there, as good as it can be.

I took a chance and bought this from a forum member several years back. It ticks all the boxes and is my favourite with pedals. The extra S1 settings and blower features get used. The trick was getting the N3 pickups dialed in and balanced to the Fender supplied humbucker. It has a really great neck, and does a great jack of all trades thing. At this time it is my best in this category and price point, used.

2011 Fender American Deluxe HSS Stratocaster

Guitar String instrument Musical instrument Plucked string instruments String instrument

#34 ·
The Arts in Newmarket (Ontario) is a Suhr dealer.
You mean Cosmo in Richmond Hill (no suhrs at the arts). Coincidentally, I was in The Arts today. The Elite series by Fender is blowing me away with the quality. They are so well made. the necks are really thin on the starts though.

I actually went in to play a Classic Series 70s strat - it was the only one I could find around and it sold. It has the perfect neck for my hands (I had to call Fender USA to get the specs). I gave these specs to Danocaster.

I much prefer Anderson to Suhr

#36 ·
(Fanboy warning.)

For my money (which isn't much), and miles below your budget, I'd seriously consider a Godin Session. I looked at one at L&M last week, and though I didn't have time to plug it in, everything else was excellent...light, balanced, resonant, nice fretwork. Wish I'd tried the pickups, but at the price I wouldn't mind changing them if I had to.

Godin Guitars - Session

The Progression comes in an HSS configuration, but it's not a full size humbucker.

The best sounding HSS I had was a Godin Richmond/Belmont, but as good as it played and sounded, it was an anchor to carry. In a way I wish I hadn't sold it, but the weight just wore me down.

#43 ·
My favorites include James Tyler and recently, picked up a Patrick James Eggle that is really nice. I thought the neck carve might be a challenge as I typically like a bigger carve in the upper fret area (I was told 0.87" - 0.91" on the PJE '96) but the carve on the PJE really works. Sounds fat on the humbucker and single coils sing beautifully. Lightweight at just over 7lbs, Pau Ferro fingerboard, flamey back of neck, Very impressive guitar.
Guitar String instrument String instrument Plucked string instruments Musical instrument
Guitar Electric guitar Musical instrument String instrument Plucked string instruments
Guitar Musical instrument Electric guitar

#44 ·
My favorites include James Tyler and recently, picked up a Patrick James Eggle that is really nice. I thought the neck carve might be a challenge as I typically like a bigger carve in the upper fret area (I was told 0.87" - 0.91" on the PJE '96) but the carve on the PJE really works. Sounds fat on the humbucker and single coils sing beautifully. Lightweight at just over 7lbs, Pau Ferro fingerboard, flamey back of neck, Very impressive guitar.
View attachment 180321 View attachment 180329 View attachment 180337
That guitar just looks fucking great.

#46 ·
I don't know much about PJE other than he sold his company in the 90's and then recently (?) started building again. The middle initial E separates his guitars from the other Eggle's currently being built. I've seen them around for the last couple years and a dealer I was exchanging with, was really fond of them. Fast forward a year and saw this one on the World Guitars website in the U.K. and decided to give it a go. I'm glad I did.

The scratch plate is metal which is kinda cool - the neck and body are so smooth which makes the playing experience a joy! It's just a super well built guitar, great vibe and tone. I was trying to figure out the serial number logic to no avail and contacted PJE and he indicated that the serial numbers are random(!). My guitar was built in January of this year.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.