The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading the worst deal thread and figured there must be people who bought those beauties. Here's mine.

I'm new, so it is not vintage, but I bought a MIM Fat Strat with Crate amp for $300 from Retrotown Music in Ottawa. You guys can do better than that. :bow:

·
Premium Member
1,768 Posts
I bought an original Boss CE-1 in mint shape with the original box and manual for $50.00 from a Cash Converter a few years ago. I sold it for over $350.00 US to a collector.

·
Registered
598 Posts
JCM800 50 watt head and FULL stack, mint $600. Mind you, this was 6 or 7 yrs ago...

My nephew, who was in high school at the time, traded his cheap Samick electric (worth maybe a hundred bucks) to another kid straight across for a really beat-up guitar his Dad gave him. The other kid wanted to trade because the Samick had humbuckers and wasn't so beat up. My nephew got a custom shop Relic Telecaster with case and all - maybe 3 grand?

·
Premium Member
2,069 Posts
bluejay said:
I was reading the worst deal thread and figured there must be people who bought those beauties.
This is already a thread with quite a few of these stories.:tongue: You just didn't go to page two of the vintage section:wave:

It is located here http://www.guitarscanada.com/Board/showthread.php?t=1552

Not that a retelling of these stories is a bad thing.....

Cheers
Pete

·
Premium Member
2,135 Posts
This was not the best deal I have ever made but rather the best deal by far that I witnessed a couple of years ago...a friend of mine called me one morning in a frantic state. He told me to check teleannonces which is a buy/sell site in Quebec. He proceeded to tell me that a 1959 Les Paul was up for sale for....wait for it....$2300!!! I immediately went to the site and there in the list was a 1959 Les Paul for sale. The seller turned out to be an older woman who's husband passed away and decided to sell it without investigating it's value. Needless to say some guy got it soon after it was posted. Apparently, he flipped it soon after for over $200,000. Although this story will illicit different opinions as to the actions of the buyer, It does underscore the lesson that one should ALWAYS know what your selling before you advertise it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Best Deals

Went to a Department of National Defence 'sale' in the mid 80's that included musical instruments. Was mostly band instruments, except for 2 Gibson acoustics. One needed extensive work, but the other, not sure of the model, but is was Jazz style, needed only a trapeze tailpiece repair. I picked it up for $15.00, fixed the tailpiece at home, put it on consignment at the Twelfth Fret, and got $500.00 for it.... OF COURSE I SHOULD HAVE KEPT THE DAM THING AND PLAYED IT MYSELF!!!! I ALSO SHOULD HAVE PICKED UP THE OTHER GIBSON AND HALF THE BAND INSTRUMENTS FOR THE PRICES THEY HAD..... but anyway....

other deals:
Traynor Custom Special (Cash Convertors in 2002) $125.00 - Sold for $490.00
1971 Pbass (bought in 1974) $300.00 - STILL HAVE IT!
1970 Gibson 335 (9.5 condition) - gift from best friend's parents (friend passed away from a bicycle accident)

there are others... but anyway

·
Registered
8 Posts
.... one more

My brother bought a 1968 (YEAR) 4 x 12 Marshall cab. at Long and McQuade in 1973/4 for $150.00.... still has it. Tolex is a little worn, but everything is original. Monster sound.

·
Registered
16 Posts
bought a 50w plexi marshall head around 8 years ago for $500, wasn't digging it, sold it a couple of years later for $1200. Walked into Capsule Music in Toronto 2 years ago and saw it sitting there (i remembered the serial #), tried it out, someone had done some work on it, bought it back for $2k. yes, i am an ass, although I've had offers of 3-4k on it now, but I like it too much to sell it again.
also walked into L&M in edmonton 3 or 4 years ago and found a 1962 jazzmaster, all original, for $1250. ahhh, those were the days.....

·
Registered
140 Posts
Best Deal

The best deals huh ??Back in '90 I picked up a 1959 gibson ES-175 from the original owner for $600,and in '88 I bought a 1963 Cherry Tele (pre cbs) for $400.Now thats a deal !!--Lenbone.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I went through a stretch of around 10 years where I really wasn't playing much guitar so I sold my Music Man for about $550. I still miss that amp but I know play in a band with the guy that bought it from the music store where it was up on consignment. Of course I ended up becoming the guitarist for a jazz/funk band about 3 months after selling the amp. Since I had a toddler and another on the way I was hoping to keep the price down to about $5-600. While on my search I happened to find a Mesa Boogie combo and a Fender Concert amp (one of the Rivera-designed models) on consignment in a local PA rental place. The Boogie was $800 and the Concert was $550. There weren't any labels on the Boogie and it didn't have any special features like reverb or eq and only had 2 power tubes so I assumed it was an early Caliber 50 or something. I A/B'd the two amps and as much as I wanted to like the Concert more the Boogie was a far superior amp in every way. I talked to a former bandmate and Boogie owner and told him about it and he told me it was probably an early Mark series amp and that he would race me back to the store. Luckily he was working at the time so I 'boogied' back and bought the amp. I googled 'boogie serial numbers' and discovered that it was a Mark IIC+ - the amp that was the basis of the California Crunch model in Line 6 modellers as well as Pertrucci's amp of choice. I've since seem similar amps sell for around $2000. Sadly, that store hasn't had any deals even close to that in the past few years.

·
Registered
283 Posts
my dad bought his 1968 stratocaster in london for 100 pounds in 1969. that was a lot back then but it's worth way more than that now. in 9 out of 10 condition. my uncle bought his 1962 strat new in 1962 for 200 pounds. if you understand how money was in england in the 60s those guitars were quite steeply priced. houses were about 2000 pounds in the late 50s and early 60s when the shilling was still being used obviously.

·
Premium Member
13,090 Posts
A Hamer P90 Special, HSC, and a Vox Pathfinder 15R thrown for free for $500 Cdn.

P

·
0 Posts
best deal? nocaster.

a fender nocaster tele....got it at a rummage sale in wisconsin back in '84 for $65.

it was NO beauty prize, but it was a totally original piece with a very beat up original case...unfortunately I sold it to the japs when they came through back in '85...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts