The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 168 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay here is the other side to my post about the worst deal.
What is the best deal you ever made. I'm not talking about a rip-off here. Like last year where a guy bought a 59' Les Paul from an old widow in Montreal and knew he was giving her 2,000 for a 250,000 guitar. Just what turned out to be a good deal. Doesn't even have to be a financial good deal. it might be something you bought years ago that has given you lots of enjoyment far beyond what you paid for it.

I have a couple.....

First and foremost..... I bought a 56' Strat from Mike McKenna for $400. Now this was in 1973(?). I had already had a Strat that I paid $225 for.
So paying $400 was a bit steep in those days. There was no vintage maket per se. Other than Bursts which it seems have always been rare and expensive. But somehow Mike knew it was a 56'. Mainline (Mike's band) had played at my high school that past year and he had used the Strat at the show. That was enough for me. I loved Mike's playing and to get a guitar from him was really thrilling. I still own that guitar today. I have played that guitar constantly for over 30 years. It has given me three plus decades of musical bliss. It is like coming home for me. Not to mention the appreciation of it's value.

Back in 82' I was playing in Guelph at the Chooch. I was perusing the local Buy and Sell newspaper. And there was an ad that read something like..."Fenre teltre with amp, $225, apply in preson 274 Gilbrt Ave".....totally mispelt and you needed to have a decoder to know that what he had was a Fender Telecaster and amp. The next morning the bass player and myself went on the hunt. There was no Gilbrt ave. So we bought a little map of Guelph and started looking for names that were similar or rhymed with the printed name. We spent all day and no luck. It got to be eight o'clock at night and we needed to be back at the club. I said lets just try one more place. BINGO !!! A young woman answered the door, I asked if she had a guitar for sale. She seemed surprised, but said yes and went to get her husband. This burly guy comes to the door, he just woke up and had a migraine headache. He said follow me. We went into this very dark house and he goes into his bedroom and opens the closet. There are no lights on in the bedroom. He is back lit from the light coming in from the window. all I can see is clothes flying out of the closet. I hear him say.."where is that fu*king thing". A few seconds later he comes out of the bedroom and hands me (without a case) a Lake Placid Blue 66' Tele. :D In my haste to give him the 225 I almost forget that the ad said.."with amp". As I'm leaving I inquire, quite sheepishly, "Oh, is there an amp that goes with this ?" He says yes and it's in the basement. Down we go and it's a black face Super Reverb.......As I'm leaving my conscience gets the better of and I say,"You know, all this stuff is worth far more than what you are asking" He says "How much then ?" I gulped and told him what the value of a custom colour 66' Tele and a BF SR were at that time. He said...." I've got two other speakers that go with that amp if you want them". So back down we go and he gives me two ten inch JBL's! I gave him the $225. We said good bye and I sold the extra JBL's for $200 the next week. That guitar needed a lot work to bring it up to snuff. But once it was, it was a really good one. I had it for many years and got a lot of enjoyment playing that thing and recounting it's tale.

let's hear some from you all.

cheers
pete

·
Registered
515 Posts
Yup here's the best deal I ever got. I was friends with this fellow at a place I used to work back in '86 I believe. We started talking and I mentioned that I played guitar and was in a band. He told me he had a guitar and an amp that he bought when he was a kid, and they were sitting in his closet, and he had no use for them. He said take them they're yours. So I happily took home a 1963 Gibson Scout amp (with the original Gibson tags) and a 1963 Les Paul Junior with the original hard shell case.

I also picked up a 1984 Flying V at a pawn shop for $250.

Those were the days.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Best deals

Here we go again !Back in '76 I was working at a local Radiator shop and thought it was high time to get some wheels. One of the Radmen working there said" i have a car for sale" He wouldn't tell me what kind of car it was,just that he wanted $75 for it. $75 back then was almost a weeks pay for me! So after work i got a ride to have a look at this Jalopy as my co-workers called it,,,To my suprise there sat in his driveway was a 1959 chev impala 4 dr HT with the wrap around back windshield,this thing was mint! All it needed for a safety was a steering wheel bushing.I had that old car for 3 years until the motor calfed out on me .This car was a babe magnet,my pals and i would cruise every night,This one guy wanted that car really bad so when it died i told him i would sell it to him.I told him to make me a reasonable offer...I got $700 for it with a blown motor!!But i still wish i had that car today.Oh yeah ,,my "63 Tele i paid $300 for it in "82,,but thats an other can of worms ! Lets hear some more of these good deal stories,,this is a cool thread!-Lenny

·
Registered
140 Posts
good deals

Back in the late "70's and early "80's there really was'nt much of a vintage market,,but wait a few years,,you'll see !

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
A couple things for the younger guys to keep in mind.
- they weren't vintage back then, they were used guitars. When I bought my Les Paul '55 Special, for about $250, it was just a 12 year old guitar. So it'd be the same as you buying a '94 right now.
- $250 was a LOT of money back in the '60s. As someone said above, $75 was a weeks wage. Gasoline was, what, 35 cents a gallon?

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
best/worst

In 1984 I bought a 62 fender tremolux head with a 12 inch JBL in a home made cabinet for $225 in a private sale here in Ottawa. The seller also threw in an early 80's MXR Distortion plus pedal. The head had been painted black but with a bit of elbow grease I got it all off. All the knobs and major parts except the power transformer were original. I sold the cabinet for 100 bucks a few weeks later. Still have the amp and it sounds great. My worse deal was the one I did not make. In 1981 I had a chance to buy a mid 1970's sunburst Gibson Les Paul deluxe for 600 dollars from a store in Kingston Ontario. The back of it was pretty badly scarred and the finish was worn through. Bought a white double neck Ibanez instead for around the same price. Gave it away a couple of years later for 400 dollars.

·
Registered
140 Posts
deals

Dwagar that was me talking about $75 a week !! And yes , it didn't matter what size engine you had gas was cheap !!And you are right about guitars,,so you figure,, if you bought a strat in "90 it's already 16 years old !,in another 10 years she is on the verge of being an antique! So hang on to those "old" axes !!-Lenny.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Best Deal

Purchased a Traynor Custom Special Head and Big B bottom from Larry Sykes Music on the Danforth in Toronto. Was paying the store a whopping $10.00 a week and the store closed down without notice to me. Went out of business.
I ended up paying $50.00 in total for the beast. I still have it and it still rocks
I'm trying to transfer over pics of my herd but its not working. Just so you dont think I'm Bull Sh**ing everyone.
I'll have to talk to my kid, she'll find a way to do this, damn kids are a great deal smarter then me when it comes to this stuff.
:rockon2:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Bought a 1959 Supro dual tone from a yard sale in Belleville Ont for 20 bucks about 15 years ago. kept it for about five years, installed a Bigsby (improperly I might add). later sold it to a collector (this qualifies for the "worst deal" thread also).

very long story short: it's the actual one bowie used on his last tour and is pictured on the DVD of same.

p.s. if anyone has acces to a time machine, could you please use it to go back and kick my teeth in for eer letting it go? thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
4,298 Posts
Got a 1988 Fender The Twin (Red Knobs) in a pawnshop, 10 years ago for $350.00. Altho not vintage I suppose, but I still have it and still using it.

·
Registered
69 Posts
In 1967 I picked up my first REAL instrument, a 1962 Fender Precision bass. The pawn shop instruments and Vox Phantom IV (just terrible) I owned previously didn't count. It cost a hard-earned $100 plus my Electrovoice 664 mic. This instrument had seen some use, and me not recognizing mojo for what it was, promptly sanded the finish off. *sigh*

So today I've got some pretty fancy bass gear, but the old Pbass was my "main axe" for over a quarter of a century and it still inspires me to play, write and create. You should hear it through my old blackface Showman with two D140Fs!

·
Registered
40 Posts
I was once walking somewhere and walked past a barbershop that had 3 or four guitars hanging on the wall. I was about 15 and I had a sears guitar that I had delivered TVguides for a year or so to get the $30 bucks to buy it with.
One of the guitars on the wall was a Tele and after getting my hair cut and visiting him a bunch of times and listening to the guys life story about bands he had been in, he told me he wouldn't think of selling it for anything less than $60 bucks. My moms, single mom, paycheck was $63 a week. The world sucked.

Within about 2 weeks I had sold the sears guitar, sold all my records, sold my record player, sold my clock radio ( it had FM and no-one had an FM radio in their bedroom to listen to that freaky new hendrix guy and that steppin wolf band).
I think my mom came up with 10 bucks, probably borrowed from my grandma. And for the last bit, I borrowed from a friend, George, who at the time was the only person I knew with an amplifier and whose family seemed to have more money than god.

I made the trip to the barber, asked about the Tele, got the nothing less than $60 story again and at that point I whipped out the stack of cash and told him I wanted it. I remember it still took over an hour to get out of there because everyone was looking for me, they were sure I got mugged for the money.

That was the Best Deal I ever made.
The worst deal was when I sold it about 2 years later to get the money for a motorcycle, think I got $160 for it.

Worst still, about 6 years later, wanting to play guitar again, standing in Long and Mcquade on Wilson ave hassling with the salesman about a used tele they wanted $380 for and I only had $350, while I'm hassling my salesman, another guy comes in and talks to another salesman, whips out the $380 and buys the damn thing right in front of me!

I think there was two lessons I learned from all this;
1. When you are really sure of the quality of the item, try for a better price of course but be prepared to 'pay up sucker', to get that quality. That has applied to guitars, houses, cars and vacations. Once you have done your research and found the best quality for the best price don't be surprized to have to pay that price. When you do your best to barter and the price ain't moving, most of the time you have reached the correct price. When the price does move, most of the time it's a lemon.

2. Never sell your guitar(s). As long as they are paid for let your kids or estate have them when your gone. Maybe when your old and arthritic you can sell one of them to some kid for $60. Wouldn't that put a smile on your face?

PS. Almost 30 years later and I still have not re-bought a Tele. I still like them alot but since then I've been a little pissed off about them. Writing this has been a bit cathartic though, maybe I need a rethink.

·
Premium Member
2,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
jxoco said:
I was once walking somewhere and walked past a barbershop that had 3 or four guitars hanging on the wall. I was about 15 and I had a sears guitar that I had delivered TVguides for a year or so to get the $30 bucks to buy it with.
One of the guitars on the wall was a Tele and after getting my hair cut and visiting him a bunch of times and listening to the guys life story about bands he had been in, he told me he wouldn't think of selling it for anything less than $60 bucks. My moms, single mom, paycheck was $63 a week. The world sucked.

Within about 2 weeks I had sold the sears guitar, sold all my records, sold my record player, sold my clock radio ( it had FM and no-one had an FM radio in their bedroom to listen to that freaky new hendrix guy and that steppin wolf band).
I think my mom came up with 10 bucks, probably borrowed from my grandma. And for the last bit, I borrowed from a friend, George, who at the time was the only person I knew with an amplifier and whose family seemed to have more money than god.

I made the trip to the barber, asked about the Tele, got the nothing less than $60 story again and at that point I whipped out the stack of cash and told him I wanted it. I remember it still took over an hour to get out of there because everyone was looking for me, they were sure I got mugged for the money.

That was the Best Deal I ever made.
The worst deal was when I sold it about 2 years later to get the money for a motorcycle, think I got $160 for it.

Worst still, about 6 years later, wanting to play guitar again, standing in Long and Mcquade on Wilson ave hassling with the salesman about a used tele they wanted $380 for and I only had $350, while I'm hassling my salesman, another guy comes in and talks to another salesman, whips out the $380 and buys the damn thing right in front of me!

I think there was two lessons I learned from all this;
1. When you are really sure of the quality of the item, try for a better price of course but be prepared to 'pay up sucker', to get that quality. That has applied to guitars, houses, cars and vacations. Once you have done your research and found the best quality for the best price don't be surprized to have to pay that price. When you do your best to barter and the price ain't moving, most of the time you have reached the correct price. When the price does move, most of the time it's a lemon.

2. Never sell your guitar(s). As long as they are paid for let your kids or estate have them when your gone. Maybe when your old and arthritic you can sell one of them to some kid for $60. Wouldn't that put a smile on your face?

PS. Almost 30 years later and I still have not re-bought a Tele. I still like them alot but since then I've been a little pissed off about them. Writing this has been a bit cathartic though, maybe I need a rethink.

Sounds like you've worked out something here. Time for a TELE now.

·
Registered
69 Posts
jxoco said:
I had delivered TVguides for a year or so to get the $30 bucks to buy it with.
I did the same thing, well actually it was delivering flyers, to get the money for my Pbass.

Anyhow, I concur with faracaster... Telecaster time!

·
Registered
13 Posts
I can't save Ive been lucky enough to score any sweet vintage gear for cheap. But I must say I got a wicked deal on my Bass cabinet. It's a fender BXR Spectrum bass cab from the 80's. It's got 2-10" and 1-18" and it shakes the roof off. I score it from a guy in the White Rock area for $125 bucks Canadian.

·
Registered
100 Posts
A friend of mine was moving, and he said he had an old guitar he was going to throw out. I offered to take it, and just recently listed it on ebay. I got $460 for it.

·
Registered
81 Posts
jxoco said:
i have lived by this rule for a LONG time.
i have had a few good deals.
the first was my first good guitar. i already had a tiesco del ray semi-hollow bodt that my folks had gotten from sears. it was a cool guitar, but short scale. in the late sixties i really wanted a les paul or a strat, but the were really expensive and altho' my folks were pretty affluent, they were in NO WAY gonna spend more than $500 on a guitar. gord taylor, in guelph, had a '72 blonde tele in his store and my dad talked him down to $300 for this 'used' guitar. at the time i wasn't really al that fussy about the tele 'cuz it kinda was a bitch to play and make sound really good. i grew to love it and over the years it has been with me ever since. it still has the original finish and and all the original parts, but has had the PUPs rewound. it looks like it's been played to death (it has), but it sounds FANTASTIC.
i also spent a TON of money on a rather beautiful '58 lester in 1974. almost $3K. i played that guitar a LOT but when the vintage market started to get crazy and the price on lesters of that era were well into the five figures, i was persuaded to sell it. sometimes i have regrets, but for the most part, i'm cool with choosing to sell it for what i did. i really only wanna have a guitar around if i don't feel weird taking it out to a gig. when i sold the guitar in the mid nineties it attracted WAY too much attention.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Five years ago maybe, Ward Music (now L&M) had a super summer sale of some kind where they had a raffle for a Fender California Stratocaster. A couple months later I WON the guitar! A cream Strat with a rosewood 'board. It was a very nice guitar.

·
Registered
137 Posts
One more.....

My Aunt's/Cousin's house was abandoned and being demolished to make way for a new subdivision. She said me and my dad could go take one last look through the house and take anything we wanted as she had already moved out. I came across a 1964 Standel Ampifier. It just needed a couple new capacitors and a good dusting off but works fine and has two original 10" Jensens that sound sweeeeeeeet.

I also found a drummer's stool that was perfectly fine that I now use when I play guitar.

1 - 20 of 168 Posts