The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well its that time to replace my power tubes. I'm looking at some NOS tubes at KCA NOS but wondering if its even worth it. I think the pickings is slim. Just wondering if anyone has a recommendation on the best current production 6L6 for comparison.

·
Registered
5,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What’s wrong with your power tubes?
Nothing. I don't know how long they've been in there. I've replaced the preamp tubes already and put the originals away for backups. Now I want to put new power tubes in and put those away for back up. Now that I'm down to one amp temporarily I think its wise to have backups. It would be kind of silly to buy new ones and put the new ones away for backp, so I'll put the new ones in and the old ones will be backup.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Just wondering if anyone has a recommendation on the best current production 6L6 for comparison.
Ruby 6L6GCMSTR are highly recommended. That is what mesa uses for their STR440, so those may be more easily found. The ruby's can be found at magicparts or dougstubes; the mesa's at L&M or other mesa dealers.

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
The Ruby is a good reliable tube, in my experience, if you use it in a high gain amp they can be a little one dimensional sounding.
Nice glassy cleans.

I like the Tung Sol 6L6 GC STR the most of current offerings for tone and reliability.
A bit warmer than the Ruby.

JJ’s 6L6 GC is my favourite for tone, they have a nice pronounced mid range for a 6L6, but they haven’t lasted long lately.

All Imho.

·
Premium Member
16,835 Posts
I've been enjoying my Preferred Series from The Tube Store. Supposedly a tweaked TAD 6L6GC
My local tech (because my JCM800 has been to 3 now hahaha) also suggests the preferred series 6L6's (but Not the EL34's - as my experiences are agreeing with).

I just had said preferred series put in my '65 twin reissue with a bias, next year's tour season will tell all.

·
Registered
5,493 Posts
This is at the top of the list of ones I may try. Was waiting to see if anyone would mention it.
My local tech (because my JCM800 has been to 3 now hahaha) also suggests the preferred series 6L6's (but Not the EL34's - as my experiences are agreeing with).

I just had said preferred series put in my '65 twin reissue with a bias, next year's tour season will tell all.
I don't have much to compare them to, as they're all I've used in my only 6L6 amp, but they haven't left me desiring more. They sound great with all my guitars (335, Teles, Strats) in my '75 Super Reverb based Vibroclone.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
the Ruby 6L6 that came in the used amp I bought sound good. A lot of people on line like them also in the Traynor Custom Special 50 amp.

P

·
0 Posts
I bought Tube Amp Doctor (TAD) tubes last time around. I wouldn't spend a ton on nos tubes. I save the new tubes as spares until the old ones croak. You might get another 10-50 years out of them.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts