The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes, this thread is for some of us older guy's... what was the best concert and best show you ever seen in the 80's ? There is a difference. They may be the same but often not. For example. The best show I ever seen in that time frame was the Jackson's at Buffalo Memorial Auditorium in August of 1981

Some can laugh.... but they put on a show that was unbelievable.

The best "concert" that I seen in that time period was Frank Zappa at Shea's Buffalo in March of 1988. This was an "intimate" experience for a Zappa show. Shea's is a small venue and Zap was in great form that night. I had seen him a few times before that in arena settings. This was the last time I saw him and it was a very memorable evening. A close second was Bruce Springsteen in Buffalo in September of 1984 at the pinnacle of his career. The electricity at the show was huge.

Of course there are a ton that I "wish" I would have been at.. but of the concerts I went to during the 80's those would be it.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
I saw Joe Satriani in 88, on the Surfing with the Alien tour.

I was 18, underage and lucky to get in to the show.

Pretty much every show I saw in the 80's was exciting, since it wa smy first time seeing all these bands;

David Lee Roth with Vai & Sheehan in 1986 at Maple Leaf Gardens
Allan Holdsworth
Al diMeola
Kim Mitchell
Coney Hatch
Frank Marino

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
GuitarsCanada said:
Somew good shows there. That band that Roth had was sweet. Kim Mitchell brings back a lot of memories. I must have seen Max Webster 10 times back then. :rockon2:
Were you living in Buffalo? If so, you must have seen Talas back in those days.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I saw so many concerts and shows in the 80's that it's hard to say which one was the best. But a few concerts for some reason pop into my mind when I think back of that decade:

Black Sabbath with Dio (early 80's, can't remember what year exactly)

Mid-80's or so:

Deep Purple (forget the name of that album they were touring for (it's a good one) it has ..."sweet Lucy was a dancer but ..."). They blew me away live.

Jethro Tull (Under Wrap tour?) - 1st time of many that I saw them - again I was blown away

I had seen Rush a few times but the show I saw at the Buffalo Aud (around 87 or 88) is another one that I remember for some reason.

·
Premium Member
15,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ofender said:
I saw so many concerts and shows in the 80's that it's hard to say which one was the best. But a few concerts for some reason pop into my mind when I think back of that decade:

Black Sabbath with Dio (early 80's, can't remember what year exactly)

Mid-80's or so:

Deep Purple (forget the name of that album they were touring for (it's a good one) it has ..."sweet Lucy was a dancer but ..."). They blew me away live.

Jethro Tull (Under Wrap tour?) - 1st time of many that I saw them - again I was blown away

I had seen Rush a few times but the show I saw at the Buffalo Aud (around 87 or 88) is another one that I remember for some reason.
Black Sabbath at the CNE on August 24th of 1982 I was there. Rush at the Aud in May of 1981 so I may have been at the same Sabbath show but Rush was off by a few years. Never seen Purple back then.

·
Registered
319 Posts
GuitarsCanada said:
Black Sabbath at the CNE on August 24th of 1982 I was there. Rush at the Aud in May of 1981 so I may have been at the same Sabbath show but Rush was off by a few years. Never seen Purple back then.
The 1st time I saw Rush was about that time (1980-81) at the Coliseum in Quebec City. Same with Black Sabbath with Dio and all other concerts I saw until about 1986 were in Quebec City.

April Wine - The nature of the Beast early to mid 80's was another great concert. So many.

I think that Rush was touring for Power Windows when I saw them at the Aud. They were amazing that night.

Edit: I must add the Anderson Bruford Wakeman and Howe in 1987 at the CNE.

·
Premium Member
15,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Right on... When I saw Rush for the first time which was the 1981 concert they had grown tired of playing 2112 so they just did a very quick medley.. I was soooo bummed. but then I went to see them again in Detroit in 1997 and they played the entire A side of 2112 note for note. I was in heaven baby...:rockon:

·
Registered
181 Posts
You guys are so lucky that you grew up in the time period you did. Im such a big classic rock fan and I have no chance of seeing my favourite bands live. Ive only seen aerosmith which was amazing.

·
Registered
319 Posts
SnowBlind said:
You guys are so lucky that you grew up in the time period you did. Im such a big classic rock fan and I have no chance of seeing my favourite bands live. Ive only seen aerosmith which was amazing.
SnowBlind, I feel the same way about people who saw bands in the 60's and 70's. The one thing that was good back then is that the tickets to see concerts were relatively cheap. Late 70's and early 80's, you could see a good concert for 10 to 15 bucks a pop. It was still *expensive* for the time but nowhere where it's at today. In a year, you could see a whole bunch of shows whereas today, you moreless have to be selective, especially if you want decent seats.

·
Premium Member
15,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ofender said:
SnowBlind, I feel the same way about people who saw bands in the 60's and 70's. The one thing that was good back then is that the tickets to see concerts were relatively cheap. Late 70's and early 80's, you could see a good concert for 10 to 15 bucks a pop. It was still *expensive* for the time but nowhere where it's at today. In a year, you could see a whole bunch of shows whereas today, you moreless have to be selective, especially if you want decent seats.
This is true. Back then a band toured to promote an album. The album sales were the source of the income, not the concert. Today, bands can put out disc after disc but it's the tours that make them the money. Thats why you see a lot of bands on tour constantly. Thats why the Stones and the Who etc etc are still touring. They cannot turn down that kind of money. The last time I saw the Stones I paid $160.00 for a ticket (and that was face value) and I walked out of there thinking..... nobody is worth that. But you will never see a Stones concert that is not sold out.

I feel for snowblind as well. My kids are 17 and 21 and I got them to a few good shows while I could. Took them to see the Stones and AC/DC and such. I also had to sit through the Back Street Boys too !!! Could not have it all my way.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Ofender, the Deep Purple albums was Perfect Strangers.

GuitarsCanada.....How is it that you can remember to the month when you went to these shows?? I have trouble nailing it down to the decade!

Best concert for me was Deep Purple, best show probably Alice Cooper or maybe Yes. But I am pretty sure that those were in the seventies.....

·
Premium Member
15,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
cbh747 said:
Ofender, the Deep Purple albums was Perfect Strangers.

GuitarsCanada.....How is it that you can remember to the month when you went to these shows?? I have trouble nailing it down to the decade!

Best concert for me was Deep Purple, best show probably Alice Cooper or maybe Yes. But I am pretty sure that those were in the seventies.....
I started saving my ticket stubs from the first show I ever saw. I have them all in a binder. the one I am missing is a Led Zep show at the Pontiac Silverdome in I think 1978 or 1979. I was so stoned I lost it. :rockon2:

·
Registered
69 Posts
GuitarsCanada said:
I started saving my ticket stubs from the first show I ever saw. I have them all in a binder. the one I am missing is a Led Zep show at the Pontiac Silverdome in I think 1978 or 1979. I was so stoned I lost it. :rockon2:
Oh no.... Sorry to hear that.

I deeply regret never being able to see Zeppelin...it just never came together and then they were gone. You are very fortunate indeed.

·
Premium Member
15,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes, unfortunate ticket stub loss. I did see Page and Plant in Toronto in 1998 and that was a great show. The one I regret never seeing is Pink Floyd. I had the chance but blew it. It will never happen now.

·
Registered
69 Posts
GuitarsCanada said:
Yes, unfortunate ticket stub loss. I did see Page and Plant in Toronto in 1998 and that was a great show. The one I regret never seeing is Pink Floyd. I had the chance but blew it. It will never happen now.
Saw them at the CNE....forgot about that one. THAT was a good show!:D

·
Registered
249 Posts
Triumph's Thunder Seven tour in the winter/spring of '85. Favourite band right at the time they peaked.

·
Premium Member
15,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
WarrenG said:
Triumph's Thunder Seven tour in the winter/spring of '85. Favourite band right at the time they peaked.
Yes, great band and very underated IMO. For a three pc band they had a great sound. Here is a pic I snapped at a show in late 1980 or early 1981 at Hamilton Place when they were playing "The Blinding Light Show" i dug those fog machines.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Nice shot! I would have expected to see a pic like that on an album's inner sleeve.

Rik was my guitar idol since '78 when I first started playing. It was cool "shooting the schnitzel" with him recently: kind of surreal. Had I met him way back when, I probably would have puked (anxiety).

1 - 20 of 31 Posts