The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all who check this post.
I am new to this forum and would love to hear from anyone with information about building an acoustic guitar with home grown Canadian wood. What might some of my choices be? Can anyone pass on a name or two of luthiers I might be able to contact in Calgary or Edmonton. Thanks a million.
Max

·
Registered
349 Posts
Welcome to the forum:) There are lots of great Canadian woods to build with. For the soundboard & bracing, the hybrid 'lutz' spruce from BC is distinctively Canadian, has a great rep, and is more rarely used than most top woods, perhaps adding a little more panache to the guitar. Lots of good hardwoods for back/sides. Unfortunately mahogany for the neck is out, so you'd have to consider your options there - there's maple of course, but whether you want that on an acoustic neck you'll have to decide. Anyway, welcome again & good luck building guitars if you wind up going there!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to the forum:) There are lots of great Canadian woods to build with. For the soundboard & bracing, the hybrid 'lutz' spruce from BC is distinctively Canadian, has a great rep, and is more rarely used than most top woods, perhaps adding a little more panache to the guitar. Lots of good hardwoods for back/sides. Unfortunately mahogany for the neck is out, so you'd have to consider your options there - there's maple of course, but whether you want that on an acoustic neck you'll have to decide. Anyway, welcome again & good luck building guitars if you wind up going there!
Thanks so much for taking the time to respond to my request.
Max

·
Premium Member
4,544 Posts
There is Canadian Stika Spruce, Red Cedar and Engelmann, and maple obviously

·
Registered
72 Posts
The aforementioned top woods for sure. Neck wood, my choice would be cherry, almost as stable as mahogany, less money, and personally speaking, better looking, lighter than maple. Back and sides, yellow birch, cherry, walnut, maple. I have even used Douglas fir for a nylon string flamenco, body, top, neck. Not a great top wood, but the guy who bought it likes it a lot. Splinters easily during machining. Basswood for a nylon string guitar, with carbon fibre reinforcing. My first post on this forum is a nylon string guitar with birch Bark laminated body. I think I called it, A very Canadian Guitar. Lol. Russ Parker

·
Registered
43 Posts
Lots of great suggestions. I love Bearclaw Sitka Spruce as a top wood. You cannot go erong with Westetn Red Cedar as a top wood either. I also love love love walnut for back and side material. Beautiful and very forgiving to bend. Of course mapke is abundant in Canada. I have made several necks from Douglas Fir. A couple electric necks and several ukuleke necks and at least one really great acoustic. I am old school, but I am not traditional.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts