The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I'm new here, well kinda I just haven't been around for a year or two. Anyways I've recently found myself getting very much into building pedals and fixing my own amps. I built a bazz fuss with stuff I ordered from Amazon. It worked well so now I wanna tackle a ProCo rat. In your guys experience where's the best place to get caps and resistors etc. I find mouser too in depth for my liking and nextgenguitars site says theyre ordering system is down. Anyways fellas any suggestions would be appreciated

·
Premium Member
18,787 Posts
nextgenguitars site says theyre ordering system is down
Welcome to the forum!

There are several forum members that are interested in electronics and building, repairing, modding, etc pedals and amps.

@jbealsmusic is the owner of Next Gen and also a forum member here.
You might want to try their website again (Canada's #1 Parts Source For DIY Musicians - Next Gen Musical Ltd. ) or contact him by phone:
Toll-free: 1-844-373-9292 (please leave a message if we are unable to answer).

It is nice to be able to support a totally Canadian business that offers excellent service.
Yes, I am biased.

Cheers

Dave

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the forum!

There are several forum members that are interested in electronics and building, repairing, modding, etc pedals and amps.

@jbealsmusic is the owner of Next Gen and also a forum member here.
You might want to try their website again (Canada's #1 Parts Source For DIY Musicians - Next Gen Musical Ltd. ) or contact him by phone:
Toll-free: 1-844-373-9292 (please leave a message if we are unable to answer).

It is nice to be able to support a totally Canadian business that offers excellent service.
Yes, I am biased.

Cheers

Dave
Thank you for the repyr and yes I also enjoy the idea or supporting a fellow ontarian. I'll give it another shot

·
Premium Member
26,637 Posts
I've dealt with dipmicro in Niagara Falls for a while and have been pleased with price, service, and speed. I have absolutely no idea how anyone can make a profit when you bag and label ten one-cent resistors, but there you have it. Though it has been slowly expanding, their inventory is somewhat limited. But if all you are looking for is basic components, and garden variety semiconductors, I find them quite competitive. Sadly, none of the more exotic stuff, and no enclosures. They nuse Canada Post for shipping, so cheaper than a parcel delivery service. I've often gotten stuff ordered on a Tuesday in Friday's mail.

Electronic components - dipmicro electronics

When you are in Toronto, head on over to College St. west of Spadina, and go to Honson and Creatron. Honson has many of the less common Japanese transistors, and lots of obscure chips (you can probably find an LM308 there; I know I did), plus things like toggles and PCB materials.

·
Occasional CEO
My Superstrat
1,988 Posts
Thanks for the shout outs guys! We don't have much for small pedal components, but we should have most of the caps and/or resistors needed. Gonna wanna bundle that with some larger stuff to get some value out of the shipping though.
...nextgenguitars site says theyre ordering system is down.
Not that I'm aware of... 99.9999999% of the time that error shows up because customers enter an incorrect billing address, or they try using an unsupported card (like Amex).

Go here: FAQ - Next Gen Musical Ltd. under "Ordering & Shipping"
Click on the question "Q: My credit card isn't working OR I'm unable to complete checkout. How do I fix this?"

Nextgen is always great to deal with.... never had a problem. I ordered last week, Jonathan had it boxed up and shipped within 2 hours of the order being placed!
I highly doubt that I personally packed it, but I'm happy to take the credit! :D

·
Registered
Telecaster / 339
825 Posts

·
Premium Member
26,637 Posts
Honson Computer Corp is marked as 'Permanently Closed' on Google's listings. Any truth to that?

The link for Creatron: Creatron Inc | DIY Electronics & Robotics - Creatron Inc
Hmmm, I hope not. I was hoping to do a quick pop-in when we're passing through Toronto at the end of the month.
Locals know it is situated in the basement of the Home Hardware, just a bit west of Spadina. Possible they've relocated? After all, that's a lot of inventory to get rid of. They were originally called Supremetronic, back when they were on Queen St., when it was the "electronics ghetto", with Active Surplus and Arkon, down the block. Then they were on College as a stand-alone business on the south side, adjacent to the Apple store. And then they moved to the Home Hardware, when the HH was down a block, and it was all at street level. And then the HH took over the space previously occupied by Factory Direct, and Honson/Supremetronic was moved into the basement, where there was a little more breathing room.

Both Honson and Creatron have life breathed into them by the location of the Electronic Engineering department of U of T, just off College on the other side of Spadina. Hard to imagine such businesses failing that close to their prime clientele, but I guess anything is possible.

·
Premium Member
3,474 Posts
Honson Computer Corp is marked as 'Permanently Closed' on Google's listings. Any truth to that?
Honson Supermetronic in the basement of the College St Home Hardware? No, still open - just moved to a different part of the basement. Fine for resistors, caps and things but don't buy XLR or 1/4" connectors there (RCAs were OK last time I got some there).

To add to the list: A1 Electronic Parts - Serving the Toronto area for 30 years!

Best prices on real Hammond project enclosures, some kits, NOS parts (resistors etc) if you care about that sort of thing.

·
Premium Member
26,637 Posts
I've visited Abra Electronics in Montreal ( ABRA Electronics, at your service since 1990 ) several times, and gotten some decent stuff. Passive components aren't cheap, but they have a decent selection of enclosures, chemicals, and the oddball switches and pots that Active Surplus used to carry, as well as a ton of microcontroller stuff for Arduino, Raspberry Pi, Beagle Board, micro:bit, and all the other palm-of-your-hand systems. Can't speak to their mail-order practices, however, since I've only ever shopped there in person.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts