The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, maybe it's a loaded question... but I'm wondering, what are some of the "best" Canadian brands of acoustic? I feel like I should have more knowledge about this, but here I am, asking that question!

I figure, why buy guitars from the USA (or from wherever) if we have good ones in Canada.

I have a Norman acoustic that I think is not far behind some Martins.

·
Premium Member
11,108 Posts
Marc Beneteau, Joshua House, Seagull, Simon & Patrick, all represented in my collection.

Lots of others I’ve met or had some contact with, like Ron Belanger, Linda Manzer, Grit Laskin, Dave Wren, Alan Beardsell, Michael Greenfield...

But as others will mention, there are lots of others.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
I will add a touch of my taste...
I still own and play my Larrivées L-03koa (canadian) and OM-09 (US made) but sold both my Bouchers dreadnough Wild Goose and OOO which appeared bolder to me. These were all bought used, were in perfect shape and well adjusted. Bouchers are more expensive than Larrivées.
My still new Seagull Performer CW burnt umber still pleases me as well.
These all stand besides my Martin 000-18, Taylor 512 (1995) and new 322 (to name these), Guild F-30 and Eastman AC122ce since I have as much pleasure to play anyone of them all.

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
Why are Boucher's more expensive ?
Perhaps they are emulating Taylor marketing strategies implying that their higher priced instruments are somewhat better?

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Boucher have really upped their game the last couple of years. Several monster players in my area swear by them.

Mario Proulx in Iroquois Falls, ON makes some fantastic instruments, as does Otis Tomas in St. Anne’s, CB.

Some of the best instruments I have played are made by Luthiers that live in the deep woods (literally).

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
David Webber (BC) and Peter Sawchyn (SK) are both stand out builders that rarely get mentioned. Several Larrivee ex-employees have gone on to build beautiful instruments... Rob Bustos, Mark Vantaa, Heath Thomsley Hales...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Ted Thompson
Yes I heard many good things about ted thompson. I don't own thompson but own two Larrivees. One Canadian made L-03 and the other US.

I've compared the L-03 Canadian to L-09 (US) and prefer the L-03 (personal preference but the 09 was beautiful).

Larrivee +1

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Why are Boucher's more expensive ?
Perhaps they are emulating Taylor marketing strategies implying that their higher priced instruments are somewhat better?
Bourgeois (instead of Taylor) I guess as it is the eastern U.S. master builder who is reknowned to produce great guitars with (New England area) Adirondack tops as Boucher uses.

Many artists in Quebec now play on Boucher's...

I agree that Boucher prices seemed to raise... He is also known in France now.

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
Bourgeois (instead of Taylor) I guess as it is the eastern U.S. master builder who is reknowned to produce great guitars with (New England area) Adirondack tops as Boucher uses.

Many artists in Quebec now play on Boucher's...

I agree that Boucher prices seemed to raise... He is also known in France now.
I am old enough to remember when the early Norman guitars were played by most Quebec artists

·
Premium Member
12,301 Posts
Most seem represented.

I'll add Michael Dunn and Shelley Park. Spectacular handmade guitars.

·
Premium Member
4,567 Posts
I see someone mentioned Halcyon, but they forgot to mention Tinker. IIRC Tinker is higher end than Halcyon but same group of guys.

Reactions: jdto
1 - 20 of 40 Posts