The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just like the title says...I’m looking for a bass friendly fuzz face pedal. I strongly prefer germanium ones, based on past experience. I’ve owned many TAFMs and loved them all. Right now though I’m on a mission to have all my musical gear to be primarily Canadian built, to help out our economy and small businesses during these challenging times. If there isn’t a Canadian option, then I’ll consider from elsewhere in the world other than the USA.

So far I can’t find much of anything to fit this bill! The OxFuzz Bass is a leading contender, but it is silicon and I can’t get a hold of Ken. The Demedash Spidola USB very promising, is germanium, and sounds a lot like a fuzz face, so another leading contender...but it isn’t a proper fuzzface.

So help me out - what’s out there that’s a good fuzz face on bass?

·
Registered
166 Posts
I just recently came across this company out of the Saguenay called Guptech.

You could e-mail them and see what they suggest for a bass fuzz... I ordered the Phoque Face Fuzz but it's not here yet so I can't tell you how awesome it is for guitar or bass. Pretty affordable for Canadian made pedals though.

·
Premium Member
1,220 Posts
+1 for Arcane. Dude knows how to tune fuzz pedals for bass.

·
Registered
1965 Fender Mustang, Ampegs, anything to test an amp.
1,137 Posts
When you mention proper Fuzz Face, you only require 2 controls?...fuzz intensity and volume?

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
When you mention proper Fuzz Face, you only require 2 controls?...fuzz intensity and volume?
Number of controls is irrelevant as long as it works on bass, and is a germanium fuzz face circuit made in Canada (or elsewhere in the world outside of North America). It could be a one knob fuzz for all I care - I've got multiple one knob overdrives that work fantastically for bass!

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Dr scientist, arcane analog, empress, fairfield circuitry - i'd start there?
Dr. Scientist has no fuzz faces, nor does Empress, nor does Fairfield. The first two do make some nice fuzz pedals of a more general variety, but not with that beautiful germanium or FF quality. Empress has a fantastic Germ Drive that I've owned, I just wish they could make a Germ FF fuzz... As for Fairfield, all of their stuff is just too wild when it comes to fuzz. This is coming from someone who owns an Accountant, did own a V1 Barbershop, and lusts after a Shallow Water and Randy's Revenge, so it isn't like I don't love their pedals.

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

You could e-mail them and see what they suggest for a bass fuzz... I ordered the Phoque Face Fuzz but it's not here yet so I can't tell you how awesome it is for guitar or bass. Pretty affordable for Canadian made pedals though.
This looks/sounds interesting, thank you! I'd love to hear what you think of it once it comes in - please post here or message me, if you don't mind!

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
+1 for Arcane. Dude knows how to tune fuzz pedals for bass.
Sorry to be pesky, but do you have any direct examples of that, either from playing through one yourself or hearing someone use it? As noted above, the maker feels confident in his ability to tune one, but I'd love to hear a demo or a testimonial from a user themselves.

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have their GUUL noise gate. Very well built, and works very well. Worth looking into.

Also ask @Sabzor of Dominion Fuzz. And Southampton Pedals out of Guelph. Tribute in Peterborough. KO Amps in North Bay. Briere Pedals (also a member here).
This is an awesome list, thank you! I know Bob, one of the Southampton owners, and have heard from him that their Boosted Fuzz is workable on bass but not ideal. I am not familiar with the others though, so I'll look into them ASAP as well. It sounds like Saguenay is one I for sure need to check out. Great suggestions, thank you!

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

I can't find an email or contact area on their website - do you have one that you can pass along? That Phoque sounds perfect - and I love a bias control - if it can be bass tuned!

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
Sorry to be pesky, but do you have any direct examples of that, either from playing through one yourself or hearing someone use it? As noted above, the maker feels confident in his ability to tune one, but I'd love to hear a demo or a testimonial from a user themselves.
I believe he is referring to the custom Fuzz Face I made for him. He is a bass player.

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I believe he is referring to the custom Fuzz Face I made for him. He is a bass player.
Oh, that's perfect! Hopefully I'll hear from him then! :) Thanks for letting me know that was someone who could give a testimonial!

·
Registered
166 Posts
I can't find an email or contact area on their website - do you have one that you can pass along? That Phoque sounds perfect - and I love a bias control - if it can be bass tuned!
I'll PM you to avoid his e-mail getting more span than it already probably does.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts