The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Premium Member
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we all know that certain guitars will always command a high price, like Gibsons. But what guitars have you found that are great for the price? Can be new or used.

For me, a used Godin is hard to beat. New, I'd probably point at the Squier CV stuff. I love a bargain, and I can't usually justify Les Paul money.

·
Premium Member
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yamaha is a good call, but I couldn't get on with the one I had. Just felt really narrow at the nut. It was a well put together instrument, just not for me.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
I don't have a lot of experience (own two electrics...well, three counting one for my kids...and a bass, again primarily for a kid) but +1 for Godin. One of my electrics is a Godin that I absolutely love and got for pennies on the dollar but I know they aren't for everybody and that's cool.

And +1 for Yamaha as well...my first electric was/is a Pacifica and I still play it all the time and got it used and for next to nothing.

If I had to live with one of my guitars, and only one, I'd take the Godin.

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
I've had both a Fender Japan Nocaster and a '62 Custom. Also had an American Deluxe Telecaster. My Squier CVC ($250 on the used market) whoops them all quite badly in terms of sound and the specs I like. It also uses better looking woods than those did. I have no idea if the line in general is up to this quality, but they seem to have their fans. Might grab myself the silver Jazz Bass if I can find one.

·
Premium Member
5,315 Posts
Epiphone makes some good stuff too. Upgrade the electronics and away you go. Not the bolt-on neck stuff, the better set neck Epi's.

·
Registered
662 Posts
My favourites are Ibanez, especially the mij stuff. US Peavey instruments too, the basses in particular. I also enjoy Godins and have had some pretty outstanding Korean made instruments for cheap.

·
Premium Member
8,710 Posts
Epiphone makes some good stuff too. Upgrade the electronics and away you go. Not the bolt-on neck stuff, the better set neck Epi's.
I had a cheap Epi Les Paul bolt neck for a long time, that was a wicked good guitar. Picked it up new in the 90’s, I forget any more where it was built but want to say Korea or even Japan. Never changed a thing on it, tuners and pickups were both just fine.

Most of my suggestions have been named, but I also had a Dean Explorer that was awesome. If you can get past the headstock shape, they’re great value, well made.

·
Registered
11,963 Posts
Squire Classic Vibe and Vintage Modified are a really good bang for the buck.

Reverend, cool features, really well made and ready to rock off the rack.

I like the MIK Epiphones, reasonable price for a semi-hollow, well built.
Limited experience with MIC Epis, I had a Studio DOT and it was a nice enough guitar.

Used G&Ls, I haven't tried the Tributes series, but heard good things.

Some older MIJ guitars can be a lot of guitar for the dough.
They seem to be creeping up in prices for some too though.

·
Premium Member
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I seem to remember that the G&L Tributes use the same pickups as the full fat USA models, which is a bit different from most manufacturers "budget" line made in Asia.

·
Premium Member
182 Posts
Yamaha is a good call, but I couldn't get on with the one I had. Just felt really narrow at the nut. It was a well put together instrument, just not for me.
I agree. I tried to get along with a 611HFM. Narrow nut but great tones. Kept it about 8 months then traded it.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Bacchus Vintage and Classic Series, Burny and Aria Pro II come to mind. From what I've seen lately, sellers are asking a lot of money for them on flea bay and reverb. Buy from Japan via proxy bidder is your best bet.

·
Premium Member
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I agree. I tried to get along with a 611HFM. Narrow nut but great tones. Kept it about 8 months then traded it.
Yeah, same. It was odd, because I have tiny hands. You'd have thought it would be good for me, but I just kept tripping over myself.

As for the Japanese copies, absolutely. I'm still keeping an eye out for one from my year of birth.

·
Premium Member
12,243 Posts
Lesser known brand names of 80s Japanese guitars. Vantage comes to mind for me, but others have already been mentioned as well.

Also, Korean Gretsch (Electromatics) guitars are great bang for the buck. In fact, most of the Korean guitars I've had experience with have been good. Not quite '80s Japanese' good, but 'bang for the buck' good, none-the-less.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts