The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,169 Posts
I go that newsletter as well. That's a great article. I personally would put silverface Fenders at #1 though. At least till the prices start going up on them as well.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
I noticed that Garnet didn't make the list. They should be on there somewhere. The trouble is, there are so many great old amps, some of which are still very much over looked.

I just redid an old Silvertone for a guy and wow!, what a sound. It was a 1964, model 1420 I think. Sounded alot like a blackface twin, yet darker and smokier. I loved it!

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Yea didn't see Ampeg either...:mad: Oh well like you say a lot of good old amps overlooked....try an old supro..:D

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
I don't think so, but I would hazard a guess that they are in US dollars, as I know I don't see any of those amps going for those kind of prices.

·
Premium Member
5,169 Posts
You can find silverfaced Fenders for decent prices. I got a SF Princeton Reverb for $600 US, which with the way the Canadian $ is, isn't much more. You just have to spend a lot of time looking. eBay is pretty much useless for amp deals now a days. All my purchases are through private sales, usually found on the forum sites I use.

·
Registered
Peavey Wolfgang EVH Wolfgang Charvel Style 2
1,487 Posts
For about four years I played along side another guitarist that used a LAB SERIES amp. His was the 4x10 version. I remember ( it was 15 years ago ) it being a very cool amp with a lot of tonal versatility and many surprisingly good tones. It was years later that I read about BB King using the 2x12 version.
At the time I was using a Peavey Stereo Chorus 400 and a Marshall JCM 800 half Stack. The Lab had a warm sound overall with very nice compression. One would not consider it a metal hi gain amp but he used a old origional Boss Metal Zone pedal in the front end and had some very cool rythm tones dialed in for metal. It had a very sweet bottom and lower mid voice to start with so classic metal was delivered in spades. His tone complemented my brite cleans from the Peavey and brite upper middy dirty JCM800 tones perfectly.

One peculiar thing this amp has is a standby/warmup switch like a tube amp but it is a solid state amp. At first when I saw it I thought that the designer must have done this to make the end user ( who at the time would be more familiar with tube amps and the stanby/warm up thats required with them ) feel more at home but I realized years later that it actually has a legit funtion... solid state devices run at their peek once "warmed up".

I'd love to find one for myself.

Khing

1 - 10 of 10 Posts