The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody, I've been noticing more "recording" tube amps that you can crank to take advantage of power amp distortion coming on to the market.. the Tiny Terror from Orange seems to be one that gets a lot of praise and a lot of attention. The clips sound pretty from what I can tell, what else have you come across in that price range that does this?. I think The peave windsor studio might be along the same lines but there are not many clips available for this one yet.. I'm not necessarily looking to buy one right now, but looking down the line at something that might be more portable then say a 50 watt head and an attenuator..

Cheers.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Look at the V series from Crate (yep Crate!!). I own the 50 watt combo version and love it. Had it almost 2 1/2 yrs now with no problems. They make 5 watt, 15 watt and 30 watt models also .

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How does Carvin eat the duties? I had forgotten about them.. I'll have a look to see what they have. I'd like to decide whether or not to build another amp or just buy one by the time December rolls around. Tried the Traynors and found them voiced a little more towards the "scooped" sound. Didn't think they sounded that great when pushed to power amp distortion. (mind you this was the 4 x 10 model, not sure which exact one it was again)

TArl, do you have any posted soundclips of your Crate? Hard to find samples of teh V series and i am very surprised I can't find much on youtube.

·
Premium Member
13,023 Posts
Or check out Carvin's line. Great gear and prices, plus they pay all the duty fees.
Did you mean that they pay the brokerage fees??? I can't see them paying GST/PST or HST. You gotta pay dem tases.

·
Premium Member
5,095 Posts
You can get a vintage Traynor YGM-3 or YBA2 for well under your budget.

I am in love with my YBA2A. You can get gain at really reasonable levels with it. More so then the YGM-3 I find. But you get reverb and tremolo on the YGM-3

·
Administrator
15,977 Posts
Did you mean that they pay the brokerage fees??? I can't see them paying GST/PST or HST. You gotta pay dem tases.
If I remember correctly when I bought my Legacy head they charged double or triple the normal shipping cost and that covered ALL other expenses, including taxes, duty etc. It was a real deal. I know I only paid double shipping (extra $50) but they had a deal on at the time.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I'm totally open to picking one of those up at some point.. I was just a few days too late on a local YBA-2 I beleive it was. Which one of these gives you the most oomph with some mods? I am comfortable modding or rebuilding sections of it. Maybe building a Trinity 18 watt with 6v6's would be what the doctor ordered. Do you guys have clips of your YBA-2's?

As for the Carmen Ghia, I really am not that impressed by Dr. Z's smaller amps.. they really don't do it for me. I am pretty sure the Ghia is what I tried at Lauzon and it seriously lacked in the smooth distortion department for me. A little raspy.. just my view though, i am sure 90% of the population will disagree with me. what can I say, I'm just one man! :eek:

·
Registered
749 Posts
If I remember correctly when I bought my Legacy head they charged double or triple the normal shipping cost and that covered ALL other expenses, including taxes, duty etc. It was a real deal. I know I only paid double shipping (extra $50) but they had a deal on at the time.

Thats right. They charge a bit more for shipping but IMO it works out for you in the end.

I was on the phone the other day with them and for $480 I could get their Vintage16 amp to my door. I like how they use EL84 tubes, aswell.

I'm gassin' for a California Carved Top something huge.

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
...i have found my dream recording amp: a beat up tech 21 trademark 60 i bought from a forumite in alberta.

extremely easy to dial in the exact tone you're seeking. it will be all over my next cd.

-dh

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think I may hunt for one of these old traynor's after this discussion.. the carvin 16 also looked interesting with a few mods. The tech21 I have tried and found it doesn't do all sounds consistently well like it tries to. A little thin and brittle on some settings..

·
Premium Member
5,095 Posts
Kapo, if you do a search, you will find a thread where I am playing my Reverend through my YBA-2A (the EL84 version). I have my BYOC overdrive going as well, but the amp gets a fair amount of crunch at decent volumes too.

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
Right on David. I've got one as well and they're really good amps. I haven't tried recording with mine yet but I'll give it a shot sometime.

...i have found my dream recording amp: a beat up tech 21 trademark 60 i bought from a forumite in alberta.

extremely easy to dial in the exact tone you're seeking. it will be all over my next cd.

-dh

·
Administrator
15,977 Posts
I think I may hunt for one of these old traynor's after this discussion.. the carvin 16 also looked interesting with a few mods. The tech21 I have tried and found it doesn't do all sounds consistently well like it tries to. A little thin and brittle on some settings..
here's a bit of noodling on my '67 YSR-1 that Wild Bill modded. I've got an OCD and H2O in front of it. Keep in mind it's just my digital still camera mic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YNjJJWgWak

excuse the playing.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Nice tone even with the crap cam! I'm looking into the YBA-1, YBA-2 and YGM-3's.. try to narrow the search. Really rich tone from what I can hear.. i could in theory use my BB preamp to give me whatever other grunt i need.

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
That's some wicked tone Davetcan. I agree very floydian and maybe a little gary moorish. Great job.:rockon:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts