The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am doing more of my own work these days and may start doing this as a bit of a job... 3 questions... belt sander and router... Kijiji? Best types or brands for guitar work? Also, I assume I'll need an exhaust fan in my basement workspace... suggestions? Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
746 Posts
I have this belt sander and it's great. It has belt and spindle and it oscillates.
Auto part Tool accessory

The routers are harder to advise. Depends what you want to do. I laminate trimmer may be good for a lot of work but a larger plunge would work better for others. There is also a router table that really comes in handy for some jobs as well.

Regards PEter.

·
Premium Member
18,784 Posts
Many years ago I had a small woodworking shop.

I would suggest getting a good quality router table along with the router. It is an amazing, creative and accurate tool...given the selection of bits.

A dust collection system (maybe that is what you meant by exhaust??) is also advised.

A large table, in addition to your main workbench, is always a welcomed addition.

What types of "guitar work" are you planning to do?

I await the comments from other forum members that are current with their knowledge and experience.

EDIT: Peter and I were posting at the same time. I would have killed for a table mounted belt or spindle sander.
As Peter states, I found that sometimes one is better taking the 'job' to the 'tool' (e.g., router table) and sometimes taking the 'tool' to the 'job' is preferred/essential (e.g., trimmer).

·
Premium Member
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input so far guys... yes for exhaust, I meant dust collection... although for soldering I will need something to expel the gasses from soldering work.
I’m planning to do guitar wiring, routing for pickups etc., Fret work nut work and setups. I already know much of the electronics... some setup stuff... never used a router or a belt sander

·
Registered
4 Posts
For an extractor, you can get one of these type;

for about 150$ and up. which will handle any type of garage sized power tools. If you can locate it outside, its much quieter and cleaner. For solder fume extraction, I have used a small squirrel cage fan with a flex pipe on each side. One side at the bench, and the other fished out the window of my garage.

·
Administrator
17,302 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts