The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am doing more of my own work these days and may start doing this as a bit of a job... 3 questions... belt sander and router... Kijiji? Best types or brands for guitar work? Also, I assume I'll need an exhaust fan in my basement workspace... suggestions? Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
594 Posts
I have this belt sander and it's great. It has belt and spindle and it oscillates.
Capture.JPG

The routers are harder to advise. Depends what you want to do. I laminate trimmer may be good for a lot of work but a larger plunge would work better for others. There is also a router table that really comes in handy for some jobs as well.

Regards PEter.

·
Premium Member
17,629 Posts
Many years ago I had a small woodworking shop.

I would suggest getting a good quality router table along with the router. It is an amazing, creative and accurate tool...given the selection of bits.

A dust collection system (maybe that is what you meant by exhaust??) is also advised.

A large table, in addition to your main workbench, is always a welcomed addition.

What types of "guitar work" are you planning to do?

I await the comments from other forum members that are current with their knowledge and experience.

EDIT: Peter and I were posting at the same time. I would have killed for a table mounted belt or spindle sander.
As Peter states, I found that sometimes one is better taking the 'job' to the 'tool' (e.g., router table) and sometimes taking the 'tool' to the 'job' is preferred/essential (e.g., trimmer).

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input so far guys... yes for exhaust, I meant dust collection... although for soldering I will need something to expel the gasses from soldering work.
I’m planning to do guitar wiring, routing for pickups etc., Fret work nut work and setups. I already know much of the electronics... some setup stuff... never used a router or a belt sander

·
Registered
4 Posts
For an extractor, you can get one of these type;

for about 150$ and up. which will handle any type of garage sized power tools. If you can locate it outside, its much quieter and cleaner. For solder fume extraction, I have used a small squirrel cage fan with a flex pipe on each side. One side at the bench, and the other fished out the window of my garage.

·
Administrator
16,491 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts