The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Unlimited, my arse! Isn't this blatant false advertising?

Bell's Unlimited Access Plan
Thursday September 20, 2007

Mark Goldberg notes that Bell has announced an unlimited data plan for wireless connection cards at a reasonable $75 per month (plus system access fees bumping up the price to $84). The catch? The fine print includes:

• You shall not use or allow others to use the Service or your Device if such use:
  • consumes excessive network capacity in Bell's reasonable opinion, or causes our network, or our ability to provide services to others, to be adversely affected;
  • is for multi-media streaming, voice over Internet protocol or any other application which uses excessive network capacity that is not made available to you by Bell;
  • is to operate an email, web, news, chat or other service.
  • In other words, you pay for unlimited bandwidth, yet can't use many of the services that make affordable unlimited bandwidth such a necessity in Canada.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Unlimited, my arse! Isn't this blatant false advertising?

Bell's Unlimited Access Plan
Thursday September 20, 2007

Mark Goldberg notes that Bell has announced an unlimited data plan for wireless connection cards at a reasonable $75 per month (plus system access fees bumping up the price to $84). The catch? The fine print includes:

• You shall not use or allow others to use the Service or your Device if such use:
  • consumes excessive network capacity in Bell's reasonable opinion, or causes our network, or our ability to provide services to others, to be adversely affected;
  • is for multi-media streaming, voice over Internet protocol or any other application which uses excessive network capacity that is not made available to you by Bell;
  • is to operate an email, web, news, chat or other service.
  • In other words, you pay for unlimited bandwidth, yet can't use many of the services that make affordable unlimited bandwidth such a necessity in Canada.
I left "Ma Bell" and all of her services a couple of years ago. Not looking back either. :wave:

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
...bell canada - what a joke.

quite possibly the most incompetent and inept business institution since men began to communicate with each other.

i haven't had an opportunity to cut ties yet, but i will and, like graham, i won't be looking back.

-dh

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I can't believe how badly you guys are getting fleeced in North America. I get unlimited service, 100Mbps, for roughly 35$ a month here in Korea.

I

·
0 Posts
quite possibly the most incompetent and inept business institution since men began to communicate with each other.
I don't know. Rogers is giving them a pretty good run for their money in the in incompetence department these days!

·
Registered
944 Posts
Advertising "Unlimited" service (usually dial-up time or high speed badwidth) was declared illegal in most places in the US, because it was false advertising. But they will try and reel in the less informed.

We are SO fleeced compared to Europe or Asia. But the regulations are archaic because "This Internet thing just isn't real" to the grayhairs in office and people will put up with it.

Outside of Japan, Canada is the most wired-per-capita people. But, we are also total sheep to the wolf of a salesman beind the counter... he has our implicit trust and even if he didn't, we have no where else to go *shrug*

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I can't believe how badly you guys are getting fleeced in North America. I get unlimited service, 100Mbps, for roughly 35$ a month here in Korea.
http://www.thelocal.se/7869/20070712/

Sweden rocks... zoooooooooom.

I just switched to unlimited 5mbit from TekSavvy. I live in the middle of no where so the speeds only go to like 3 or 4 mbit but it's only $30 / month.

I used to have wireless shit from a local company. 3mbit and could only download 15 GB a month... and cost $100+ / month. Paid the $1000 to ditch the contract and swapped over. Could be happier!

C

·
0 Posts
I think that, if you do a little marketing research you'll discover that "Unlimited Access" is the proper name of the plan... Not an indication of what the plan contains....

Or do you really think that a "Happy Meal" contains actual 'happy'???

Always read your fine print... otherwise, you get exactly what you deserve.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Yeah unlimited access can be / is a lot different then unlimited bandwidth... you gotta' read what the package includes and follow all their little asterisks if they use them lol... and Bell seems to love them.

Mine said...

GB Included: Residential - Unlimited

With no fine print so I'm good to go.

I

·
0 Posts
We are SO fleeced compared to Europe or Asia. But the regulations are archaic because "This Internet thing just isn't real" to the grayhairs in office and people will put up with it.
We might pay more for internet access but there are many things we pay much less for. Gas comes to mind. And traditional land lines. I'm sure it evens out. Just don't start comparing vacation days to say France.

·
Registered
944 Posts
...but there are many things we pay much less for. Gas comes to mind. And traditional land lines.
My heritage is from the Nederlands and have relatives there... you're telling me! :eek:

I'm sure it evens out.
It shouldn't have to. If they were honest, there should be no need to "even out".

It's not like petrol where the fluctuations mean "I bought high, but have to sell low, but that's OK, because I just bought low and tomorrow will sell high and recoup."

GC I think said it all...
The companies are all a pack of thieving mongrels. I hate them all. Cogeco, Bell, Rogers. All thiefs

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Sure... but you have to live in Korea....

No... thank... you...

Hey, it ain't that bad...just stay away from Seoul, that's all. If you get out of the large centres, Korea looks a lot like Northern NB and Gaspesie (especially if you live in Kangwon province), but with far more amenities.

I practically live in the sticks. I look out the window of my apartment (it's more like a condo since I own it) and all I see are mountains. It's dead quiet at night. You should see the view from my office window. It's so far up the flank of a mountain, I get a view of the whole town and the dozens of mountains that surround it...and, I don't get any of the traffic that Korea is notorious for since there are few people in this town. The most it ever took me to drive the 4km to work was 15 minutes, and that's because I was caught in 'rush hour', all 5 long minutes of it.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts