The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All.....I got this the guitar a number of months ago and just realized I didn't share the joy.
I do believe these are an exclusive through Scott Hagar @axeandyoushallrecieve.
Here's a short back story. A couple of years ago I traded Scott a 1959 Epiphone Coronet. After he had it a short while, he called me to say he was asking Micheal Potvin to replicate the 59'. However these new guitars would have a neck similar to a 59' LP Jr. that Micheal owned rather than the quite slim neck of the original. I asked Scott to keep me in the loop about the build. He called me a few months back to say the first two had arrived and that he was very excited about them.
I have to agree. This guitar is super playable and sounds amazing.
there is a Lollar mini hum in the bridge (only ) position and it is killer. Micheal has replicated so many cool details that the original 59' had. The most amazing thing is the finish. My original was Pelham Blue gone green. This finish is identical to the 59'. You can see in these pix that depending on the light it can look blue or green. He has lightly, tastefully aged the finish. The guitar weighs a little less than 6lbs. Very cool faux Alligator case and cert . thank you Scott for imaging this great piece and thank you Micheal for executing an amazing build.

·
Premium Member
4,438 Posts
Is this the same Michael Potvin from Ottawa Pete? If so, i have seen a few of his guitars in a show a couple years ago and he does really nice work. Congrats on this one and what a great colour.

·
Premium Member
17,314 Posts
Mr. Potvin has such an excellent artistic eye for design, colour, appointments, etc. An impressive blend of form and function.

Congrats!

Enjoy!

·
Premium Member
16,795 Posts
I would play the hell out of that. Congrats man.

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
It's funny how the light angle can make it look blue in one photo and green in another. Very nice guitar Pete. How's the sound and playability?

·
Premium Member
3,133 Posts
It's funny how the light angle can make it look blue in one photo and green in another. Very nice guitar Pete. How's the sound and playability?
Back around 2002, I was working in future product for GM and we had a Buick done up in that colour. It was amazing to see and GM was thinking of offering that colour as an option. They never did though for whatever reason but I still remember how nice it looked.

·
Premium Member
2,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Is this the same Michael Potvin from Ottawa Pete? If so, i have seen a few of his guitars in a show a couple years ago and he does really nice work. Congrats on this one and what a great colour.
Yes it is. I haven't had any of his other builds in my hands but I'm always attracted to his builds.

I would play the hell out of that. Congrats man.
thanks. Oh I am playing it regularly.

thanks to all for the kind comments

·
Premium Member
2,182 Posts
Yeah, his guitars are amazing. He usually brings 5 or 6 to the guitar show in Ottawa each spring, every one I have tried has been excellent

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
We used to hear from Mr. Potvin quite often here on GC but not so much anymore. Nice git you got there and good to here Mr. Potvin is still around and doing well.

·
Premium Member
252 Posts
I just bought the 3rd Potvin Coronet from Scott... there was a blue one in between Pete's and mine... rumour has it that Greg Koch is Jonesing,... mine is the same funky aged Pelham Blue (green) as Pete's... a Junior killer!!!

·
Registered
168 Posts
So glad you guys are digging those Potvins! I am super pleased with how they are turning out. We are doing another 9 of them at least over the next couple years.

Greg Koch did wail on Nick Greer's Potvin at last Summer NAMM. There is a short vid of him thrashing the hell out of the guitar here :)

http://instagr.am/p/BWxkW8EFcpv/
Here are some pics of the Blue one that is here right now.

and Nick's blue one:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts