The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 12 year old daugther would like to learn to play the electric guitar. she has saved about $500 to set herself up. What features should we look for? What should we avoid?

We have found:
Windaroo super-strat for $295
windaroo les paul for $250 (Used)
Simon Stratocaster for $229
with all of these we could get a rocktec 20w amp for $125

At another store they are recommending a Cort G254 for $300. with a Lanney 10w amp for $95.
She likes Green Day, Sum 41, billy talent so would like to eventually play that kind of music.
Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
for a starter, I'd recommend either one of the Epiphone or Strat starter kits. Guitar and amp etc in-a-box.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Used gear will almost always be the best deal. Any 10 to 20 watt solid state practice amp should be OK for a beginner(Kustom, Behringer etc.). As for guitars i would stick with better known name brands, Epiphone, Squire, Yamaha, Ibanez etc... Your daughter will have to try them out to see if she likes them. Stay away from floating bridges such as on a standard strat (whammy bars) as cheaper models tend to go out of tune. Also budget some money for a strap. instrument cable, picks, strings and a tuner. For $500 with a bit of looking she should end up with some decent starter gear.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Honestly for a kid's first guitar you're looking for a good store as much as for a good guitar. Some stores focus on kids and families, and other stores focus on pro, semi pro, and wannabe pro players. Find a store that will take the time to let her try the guitars and see what feels comfortable for her. Also ask about warranties and if they do repairs on site. You want a store that will take the time to show her how to change a broken string a month later when that happens, and will fix up the little things that tend to go wrong when kids play guitars. Ask if they include a set up as part of the price. Customer service will be as important as the guitar itself.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone.
Our biggest problem is that the store in our little town seems to want to sell us anything rather then really helping us. My sister has found what seems to be a good guitar seller in her city (london, Ont) but that is 4 hours away. we only get there a few times a year.
I have gone back to our home town store and they carry none of the better known brands that you recommended. they have baracuda, crafter, crestwood and the cort

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Rose said:
Thanks everyone.
Our biggest problem is that the store in our little town seems to want to sell us anything rather then really helping us. My sister has found what seems to be a good guitar seller in her city (london, Ont) but that is 4 hours away. we only get there a few times a year.
I have gone back to our home town store and they carry none of the better known brands that you recommended. they have baracuda, crafter, crestwood and the cort
Not knowing where Belleville is, what's close for bigger Cities?

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
One more piece of advice...

Guitars in your budget often have horrible setups. ie) strings are way too far off the fretboard.

If you want your daughter to have every advantage and to enjoy the instrument, get it set up by a guitar tech. Often the store you buy from include 1 free set up which is better than no setup.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Rose said:
Thanks everyone.
All good advice from the experts here. I think the most important thing is the store and the service. There are many, many offshore little known brands where the setup and service will be far more important than the name on the guitar. What would be better would be a lower end model with known name brand from a store that could offer service. London's a bit too far away if you need this service!

Have you checked what's available in Kingston which is your closest big city? How about a day out in Toronto?

·
Registered
233 Posts
A lot of good advice here. Just to add a few more cents into the mix for a first guitar you want something that isn't expensive in case she looses interest but at the same time you don't want it to be too cheap or she'll loose interest because its hard to play, doesn't sound very good or just the overall quality turns her off.

·
Premium Member
2,968 Posts
Spend $40-50 on a decent headphone effect unit like a Zoom 505, spend the rest on the best quality guitar you can find that you like. The amp can come later............

·
Premium Member
13,055 Posts
Whatever you get, make sure it is well set up. It is well worth the money for a good setup. She might want to start with 9s for strings.

Edit - this is really important.

·
Registered
45 Posts
JSD's Guitar Shack said:
A lot of good advice here. Just to add a few more cents into the mix for a first guitar you want something that isn't expensive in case she looses interest but at the same time you don't want it to be too cheap or she'll loose interest because its hard to play, doesn't sound very good or just the overall quality turns her off.
What does anyone think about buying a quality used guitar (let's just say an American Strat) versus a new inexpensive guitar with the assumption that if the person loses interest then the money invested can always be recouped. A used quality unit should depreciate less than a cheap no-brand unit. Of course many name brand guitars appreciate over the years.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Accept2 said:
Spend $40-50 on a decent headphone effect unit like a Zoom 505
Hey tell me more about things like this. Are there any plain speakerless amps with just earphone jacks? I googled the 505 but I'm a long way off needing any "effects".

·
Registered
874 Posts
Rose, just drive on down the 401 for an hour to Kingston. Check out Rennaisance Music or Centre Stage Music. Lotsa selections in both beginner guitars and amps.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Mike T. said:
What does anyone think about buying a quality used guitar (let's just say an American Strat) versus a new inexpensive guitar with the assumption that if the person loses interest then the money invested can always be recouped. A used quality unit should depreciate less than a cheap no-brand unit. Of course many name brand guitars appreciate over the years.
This is exactly what i am worried about. at 12 she still losses interest in things pretty quickly. Even if we have to top her up a bit, I'd rather get a guitar that either if she loses interest in playing she can recoup some money she has invested or if she does really love to play it will help her with quality sound. I know as an artist how hard it is to use substandard equipment, usually very discouraging.

Tarl do you know if Rennaisance Music or Centre Stage Music would have this kind of used guitar?

Do i get this right? that we could not get any amp just the head phones to start?

·
Premium Member
2,968 Posts
Mike T. said:
Hey tell me more about things like this. Are there any plain speakerless amps with just earphone jacks? I googled the 505 but I'm a long way off needing any "effects".
There are lots of really cheap old effect units that can be used with headphone only. The more basic ones are being given away at this point, but they have their uses. These old units arent pro gear and werent pro gear even when they were new, so thats why they are so cheap. On the plus side they are very basic, easy to use, and some even include a half assed tuner as well. If youre gonna play thru headphones they are outstanding for the cash. Just dont expect to much when you plug them into an amp.......

DOD fx7 (tend to be around $50)
http://cgi.ebay.com/DOD-FX7-GUITAR-...ryZ41419QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Zoom 505 (tend to be really cheap, as well there was a 505 II and a few other varieties)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ZOOM-505-Compac...5QQihZ004QQcategoryZ41419QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Yamaha Fx500 (better than the other two but harder to find and much more complex to use)
http://cgi.ebay.com/YAMAHA-FX500-Si...ryZ41419QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

There are tons of examples and if you look in any guitar store that sells used stuff, these guys are usually sitting around unloved because they are passe............

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Rose said:
This is exactly what i am worried about. at 12 she still losses interest in things pretty quickly. Even if we have to top her up a bit, I'd rather get a guitar that either if she loses interest in playing she can recoup some money she has invested or if she does really love to play it will help her with quality sound. I know as an artist how hard it is to use substandard equipment, usually very discouraging.
There's a good chance she may lose interest, and then a year later get interested again, then maybe lose interest once more, then get interested again. When she hits high school she may find that a lot of kids play and then she'll want to, so even if she seems to lose interest in the short term hang onto it for a few years at least.

Rose said:
Do i get this right? that we could not get any amp just the head phones to start?
Not exactly. What some of the guys are suggesting is getting an effects unit that's cheaper than an amp and using that with headphones. It is also possible to play without any amp at all, it just doesn't sound like much and is very quiet, and would probably really make her lose interest. Get an amp or effects unit.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Rose, the music stores here in Kingston have some used guitar deals from time to time...check this site out for instance www.coolguitars.ca

1 - 20 of 51 Posts