The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hoping someone might have some advice for me here. Went to several stores today to look for a complete electric guitar package with amp, bag, electronic tuner and the assted stuff that comes with it. I guess I would spend up to $300 Canadian for the works. This is for a 7 year old, so I'd like something thats not too heavy and I'd like to buy something of value for my money if that is possible in this price range. Any feed back would be wonderful, xmas aint far off. TIA.

Ok, just so anybody else reading this thread knows, I bought some stuff already, again I'd like to say thanks to all that answered my thread with advice. I thought the most important thing after reading replies was the size of this little girl that the guitar is for, which is something I didnt spend enough time thinking about. After thinking about that a little more I just went out and bought the squire mini with a 15 watt traynor amp plus the rest of the goodies required. My shopping experience cost close to $300 canadian at L&M but actually was quite pleasant. Thanks again everybody.

·
Registered
874 Posts
You would be far better off buying everything seperatly if you want something of quality that will last. If you do get a package opt for one from a guitar company like Ibanez, Peavey or Epiphone.

·
Registered
324 Posts
^^ Agreed.

I would recommend buying the guitar/amp separately... and most(some?) music stores will throw in a cheap cable. Take your son to a guitar store and let him try out the guitars... if he's seven, some of the necks may be too big/wide/whatever.

Check craigslist for used stuff too... but if you don't play guitar yourself, you might be better off buying new from a store.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Theres a store called 'Walters' in square one (mall) and I got a guitar, amp, extra strings, and bunch of guitar books, a tuner and a guitar case. It was my first guitar and I still have it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi everybody, big thank you for the comments, I guess time is getting short and I am leaning towards a washburn w114 and then just adding the other stuff. This guitar seems to get a good rating for an entry level electric. I've been real surprised to learn that some of these entry level bodies are made out of particle board and I believe the entry level epiphone falls into this category now.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Guitar fo 7 Year Old

It’s nice to know you’re buying a quality instrument that will last you a lifetime, but at 7 years old that’s not possible. Assuming your 7 year old is of average size, he’ll be limited and frustrated by the size of a standard guitar. I see this all the time in my teaching practice and I encountered frequently when I was working for a custom guitar shop. Although they aren’t the best quality guitars, the “Squire Mini” and the “Jay Turser Mini” are your best options at this stage and they will ensure proper technique and ease of playing. As for amps, the best practice amp out there is the “Roland Micro Cube”. This thing does everything for an amazing price ($160 CDN). Awesome sound quality, amp modeling, effects, battery or wall-wart powered, headphone jack, recording line out, mp3 line in, etc.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I would stay away from the behringers, REAL cheap stuff. they are 189 though and they sell pretty well. there are two squier packs available, one is 349 and the other is 299. honestly, for the money its very good value.

for 299 you get:
a black affinity stratocaster
10 watt squier amp
patch cord
picks
strap
gig bag

the stuff adds up, you know. for a beginner its an ok deal

1 - 11 of 11 Posts