The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,
So I purchased a 1960's Japanese Bass and the tone knob seems to do nothing. I have been looking at pictures and videos and there seems to be lots of wiring options. I am excited to start my soldering career but could use some guidance from the vast wisdom of the forum. Here is a picture.

IMG_1738.JPG

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There is a little green one under the orange wire. Here is a better picture. But from my limited research there seems to be a lack of grounding.

IMG_1739.jpg

·
Premium Member
2,974 Posts
Shouldn't one of the lugs be soldered to the housing of the pot? IIRC, one lug soldered to housing, one lug to switch, one lug with cap to housing. It's been a while though....

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Honestly, I don't know. This is my first night ever looking into how guitars are wired. I am hoping to learn lots.

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
is the capacitor attached to the middle lug or just chillin? It looks like something was grounded on the back of the pot that isn't anymore.

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
I'm by no means a wiring expert so I could be very wrong, but I think if you make sure the capacitor is grounded on the back of that pot, and soldered on the lug that it looks to be attached to already it should work.
If it is attached on the middle lug, detach it from there and solder it in the clump of solder already on the pot.

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok, So I cut the capacitor from the middle lung and held it on the back of the pot. Tone seems to be working but there is a notable buzz when I turn the tone up.

·
Premium Member
2,974 Posts
Honestly it's a pretty shoddy wiring job (I'm not even sure if the volume pot is grounded). If I were you I would love right in and rewire it. The worst thing that could happen is you cook the pots and get stuck...in which case new pots and a switch professionally installed doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts