The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks for everyone’s help in picking an inexpensive but quality acoustic in the other forum. I ended up with an A&L and enjoying learning on it.

As you’ll notice I’m now posting in the electric section leading to my next question… can you see it coming? :)

I WANT AN ELECTRIC!

I have been toying with my 8yo sons Jay Turser mini LP copy and mega amp. It’s a hoot to play/learn on mind you I struggle to form some chords on my full size acoustic so it’s real brutal on this mini.

This has lit a fire under me to get one for my self. Having a Godin acoustic (and like the company philosophy) I naturally looked at these electrics first. Not having played or knowing what different pickups are capable of I have been investigating.

The Exit 22 looked to be a nice guitar and very vestal. Capable of several sounds

The LG’s like the hmb a little meaty or dirtier and the P-90 being a little different but still ballsy (is that a word?) but I liked the sound.

Just recently I was offered a used epiphone G-400 custom. I’m not sure yet about the look of the guitar but 3 humbuckers seem interesting.

Is this epi in the same class as these Godins in terms of quality of construction and sound?

Is there any others I should be considering in this price range of 4 to 5 hundred Canadian?

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I guess I’m putting the cart before the horse as I can’t play much at this point and as a result I would not pick up a guitar and start playing in a store.

Maybe it would not make that much of a difference if the guitar was crap or not wile I’m learning but I do have a reasonably good ear. I just don’t want to make a similar mistake that I made with my sons drums buy getting a crappy kit and 8 months later selling it for a better set.

I’m certain this will NOT be my last guitar… I tend to jump in hard with most things and I’m sure this will be similar. But I would like to make an educated decision on a decent sounding quality built first guitar.

Maybe I can jump off topic and talk a little about amps here so I don’t have to describe my situation in the amp section.

I had pretty much decided on a line 6 amp that would allow me to play shaping the sound without getting into a myriad of pedals.
Unfortunately I listened to a tube amp while I was leaving the store. There is a difference isn’t there… :) I think it was a crate 30 watt V series.
This sounded so full but lacks effects like the line 6… any advice?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.