The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks for everyone’s help in picking an inexpensive but quality acoustic in the other forum. I ended up with an A&L and enjoying learning on it.

As you’ll notice I’m now posting in the electric section leading to my next question… can you see it coming? :)

I WANT AN ELECTRIC!

I have been toying with my 8yo sons Jay Turser mini LP copy and mega amp. It’s a hoot to play/learn on mind you I struggle to form some chords on my full size acoustic so it’s real brutal on this mini.

This has lit a fire under me to get one for my self. Having a Godin acoustic (and like the company philosophy) I naturally looked at these electrics first. Not having played or knowing what different pickups are capable of I have been investigating.

The Exit 22 looked to be a nice guitar and very vestal. Capable of several sounds

The LG’s like the hmb a little meaty or dirtier and the P-90 being a little different but still ballsy (is that a word?) but I liked the sound.

Just recently I was offered a used epiphone G-400 custom. I’m not sure yet about the look of the guitar but 3 humbuckers seem interesting.

Is this epi in the same class as these Godins in terms of quality of construction and sound?

Is there any others I should be considering in this price range of 4 to 5 hundred Canadian?

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
lots that you should consider.
Best bet is to try a bunch of them.
Also watch the for sale section on here, you can snag a deal on a good used one there and get more for your $ that way.

I personally never cared for a 3 humbucker equipped guitar. Middle pickup is in the way for me. I don't care for the controls. To me, 3 pickups work best on a Strat with the 5 way switch.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I guess I’m putting the cart before the horse as I can’t play much at this point and as a result I would not pick up a guitar and start playing in a store.

Maybe it would not make that much of a difference if the guitar was crap or not wile I’m learning but I do have a reasonably good ear. I just don’t want to make a similar mistake that I made with my sons drums buy getting a crappy kit and 8 months later selling it for a better set.

I’m certain this will NOT be my last guitar… I tend to jump in hard with most things and I’m sure this will be similar. But I would like to make an educated decision on a decent sounding quality built first guitar.

Maybe I can jump off topic and talk a little about amps here so I don’t have to describe my situation in the amp section.

I had pretty much decided on a line 6 amp that would allow me to play shaping the sound without getting into a myriad of pedals.
Unfortunately I listened to a tube amp while I was leaving the store. There is a difference isn’t there… :) I think it was a crate 30 watt V series.
This sounded so full but lacks effects like the line 6… any advice?

·
Registered
874 Posts
In my experiance a good amp will make a cheaper guitar sound better than vice versa. As far as a tube amp, I prefer the sound of them (I have a 50 watt Crate V) but SS amps can be more versitile. There are some great lower $$ tube amps around these days, Crate, Epiphone, Traynor etc... You can always get a multi effects unit to put in front of the amp also. BTW the Exit 22 is a well made and great sounding instrument IMHO.

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
...given the circumstances, i would recommend a vox modelling amp, maybe around 30 watts. it would be a great way to get going and, once you decide to shop for a tube amp and separate effects devices, you might decide its worthwhile to keep the vox for convenience and/or for bedroom or jamming situations.

-dh

·
Registered
8 Posts
if you have some time drop into Retrotown music in westboro to check out both instruments and guitars. You should be able to find something you like for a decent price.

good luck!

Ben

·
Registered
40 Posts
If ottawa has a Long and Mcquade, you can rent, I think for very cheap, guitars and amps. And if it doesn't feel right or sound right you can take it back.
I wouldn't worry about the amp, at first. Actually the smallest may be the best to make mistakes on and repeat passages over and over to get them right. No one else in the house will what to hear that stuff at a loud volume anyways.

In my mind there are three major divisions of electrics that you first have to decide on;
Les Paul size, shape with humbucking pickups.
Stratocaster size, shape with single coil pickups.
Hollow body electric with probably traditional guitar shape and humbucking or peizo pickups.

Try to find out the differences and decide which of these turns your crank.
Then try to touch every guitar that you can. You will find some that just fall into your hands and feel like butter, well I mean just feel way better than the rest. You'll get an idea of what models give you that sensation.

And best of luck, there are lots of choices out there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts