The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

I'm thinking about getting my first guitar and my budget's under $250 , after through searching and research I found Epiphone G310 and Yamaha Pacifica PAC012 both used(amazon warehouse), Pacifica was 100 bucks more..
Which one should I get ?

PS I won't be getting an actual amp(not for now at least) as I live in a shared house, instead I'll be getting a headphone amp probably Donner.
Thanks!

·
Registered
281 Posts
I don't have experience with the Epiphone, but I did have the Pacifica. Good guitar. Good for beginner, easy to play.

Are you saying the Pacifica is 350 used? I think that's a bit overpriced for a used one. Plus you have to add shipping? I don't know if I made a mistake or not, but I sold mine about 3 years ago for 150 on kijijji.

I'm not sure where you're located, but there is a store in Oakville that has new Pacifica's and I'm sure the entry model is about 350 new...

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
If you can... I'd highly recommend going in to a local music store and looking at stuff. At this price point pretty much everything is going to be more than good enough to learn on... But the problem with ordering online is that it will likely need some work once it arrives to set it up. Buying either new or used from a local store... They'll probably have done those things for you already.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
My first electric was a Pacifica 112 bought used via Kijiji a few years ago for $125, IIRC. I still play it regularly. I'd recommend trying to buy locally and if you have a friend who knows a thing or two about guitars, even better...offer to buy him lunch in exchange for some help trying out a few guitars before buying one. Good luck!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
My first electric was a Pacifica 112 bought used via Kijiji a few years ago for $125, IIRC. I still play it regularly. I'd recommend trying to buy locally and if you have a friend who knows a thing or two about guitars, even better...offer to buy him lunch in exchange for some help trying out a few guitars before buying one. Good luck!

I have a Pacifica L112 and enjoy playing it regularly. It has a thinner, narrow neck which I find comfortable. Solid quality for an inexpensive instrument. Shouldn't be priced more than a couple hundred. I'd echo johnnyshaka's recommendations.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Oh, and one more comment as I meant to echo @Merlin's suggestion about a Godin guitar...a Godin was my second electric and bought it used for $300 but new it would be $1000. They are undervalued in the used market so keep your eyes peeled for Godins in your range as I see them in Kijiji for less than $300 all the time.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the help everyone!
Will definitely go and check the listed Godin SD out, anything specific to watch out for ? Like I said it's my very first guitar and well there ain't no warranties/guarantees when buying used in person. As for taking someone who knows guitars along, there is someone who plays an acoustic guitar, but I doubt if he'll be useful :D So I'd really appreciate any tips...

Thanks again

·
Registered
18,563 Posts
I'll second the suggestion on the Godin's as well. Sight down the neck on the guitar to make sure the neck is straight and not warped. Also, make sure everything works before you decide to take it.

Reactions: Merlin

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Well no luck there :/ tried contacting the owner, he replied, but I guess someone already bought it off of him as the ad is no longer there...

Any other models I should keep my eyes peeled for...?

Thanks

PS here's a list of guitars I found after spending quite some time... any of em good ?

Peavey Rotor Exp for $250 Peavey Rotor Exp | Guitars | Ottawa | Kijiji
Pacifica 112-V for $260 YAMAHA PACIFICA MODEL 112-V - cash or trade ? | Guitars | Ottawa | Kijiji
Charvel DS-3 for $200 Charvel DS-3 Guitar Mint Condition $200 | Guitars | Ottawa | Kijiji
Squier Vintage Modified Telecaster SSH for $320 Squier Vintage Modified Telecaster SSH | Guitars | Ottawa | Kijiji
Samick Greg Bennett Cobra for $250 Samick Greg Bennett Cobra | Guitars | Ottawa | Kijiji
Jackson SLXT for $300 Jackson SLXT | Guitars | Ottawa | Kijiji
Pacifica PAC 120 S for $250 Yamaha Electric Guitar (Like New) | Guitars | Gatineau | Kijiji
Godin Freeway Classic for $320 Godin Freeway Classic Rosewood neck | Guitars | Ottawa | Kijiji

·
Registered
18,563 Posts
I would pick the Charvel or Godin of the ones you listed.

·
Premium Member
4,384 Posts
That Squire Vintage Modified is a good deal too. I also recommend the Godin.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Between the Godin and the Cherval which one seems better ?
The Godin guy is including a stand and soft case for $300 whereas the Cherval guy is stuck at $200. Which one should I choose ?
Or maybe even the Pacifica 112V strap and gig bag included for $250...

I'm mainly interested in rock music(indie, alternative and classic) and maybe even punk.

I'll most probably be getting the guitar today, so all the help is appreciated
Thanks!

·
Registered
575 Posts
The Godin's a real nice guitar for the money... I wouldn't bother with the Charvel myself, but if I wanted something a little less expensive I'd probably grab the Pacifica 112-V for $260; those are great guitars...

·
Registered
18,563 Posts
The Godin's a real nice guitar for the money... I wouldn't bother with the Charvel myself, but if I wanted something a little less expensive I'd probably grab the Pacifica 112-V for $260; those are great guitars...
I have to agree with Jimi. The Godin is a little more money than you originally planned for but if you can afford it, I would say, go with it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts