The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all! If you could go back in time and know one thing when just starting to learn the guitar, what would it be? Specifically an electric guitar...

Also Ive started learning with a tutor and he started me with reading tabs and now hes decided to switch it up to get me to learn chords and for some reason my brain finds this impossible. I kind of wish he just started with chords in the first place. Any tips for this?

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
Start with basic chords in the first position. Get used to switching between them with some fluidity. Find a simple 2 or 3 chord song to make it resemble familiar music and to make it more fun. Be patient and stick with it. There are many plateaus for a guitar player but pushing through them is rewarding! Keep it fun!

Reactions: mawmow
L

·
0 Posts
Welcome aboard Amanda.
I would also like to add that youtube is a great source for learning guitar.
Especially your favourite songs.
Just google 'how to play (song) on guitar' and you'll find many examples.
The important thing is to have fun.

·
Premium Member
16,790 Posts
I learned notes first and i find it helpful. Chords came after.

It really depends on your goals as a player.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Hi Amanda !
First, you have to ask yourself why you want to play guitar.
With a goal in mind, one could help you on a realistic journey to that goal.
Most of all, you will have to work... but it should always lead to fun.

·
Premium Member
4,486 Posts
Start younger.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the replies! I definitely wish I had started younger, probably would have made this way easier. I have this app called Tabs and its helped with learning a few song I like. My tutor is messing me up more then helping I think. I basically know intros to a bunch of songs and then he stops and makes me learn another intro and so on and so on. I think Im going to just start doing my own thing.

·
Registered
5,492 Posts
Just keep learning every lick, intro, solo, and song you can. Eventually you'll figure out that everything fits together into a big collective musical toolbox. One day it just clicks, and you'll find out you know more than you realized.

·
Registered
24,342 Posts
Reading tablature, or better yet, reading music, is probably the thing I wish I had done long ago. I have SOOO many back issues of guitar magazines in my basement, with so much useful information in tablature form, and when I try to read it, my eyes glaze over like someone is pitching differential calculus at me in one ear and organic chemistry in the other.

It can be VERY discouraging to not feel a sense of progress by learning this song, that chord, etc. But, if your avatar is actually a picture of you, then you're old enough to know how to be patient. That doesn't mean one has to focus on tablature ASA tablature-instruction, with no regard for songs. But personally, I dearly wish I had spent enough time learning songs via tablature, that I could pick up a piece of tab for something I wanted to learn, look at it, and think "Oh...that. I can do that." I have a great ear, 50-some years later, but I know I would be much further ahead if I could read music or tab; particularly since there is such an abundance of it these days - something I didn't have in 1964, or even later in my band days.

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
Like others said - start younger!

I also wish I had the patience when I was first starting to learn a new song and practice it til I knew it backwards and forwards. There are so many songs that I know I had learned at some point, but completely escape me now because I never really hammered them home.

·
Premium Member
17,311 Posts
Don't put too much pressure on yourself to always be improving at an unrealistic rate. The main this is to enjoy the journey/have fun.

Try and get together with others that play guitar. In addition to jamming/playing guitar, you can talk, have a few laughs and learn from each other.

·
Registered
8,686 Posts
You've gotta learn full songs though (not necessarily note for note). There's nothing worse than knowing 10 seconds of a zillion songs but not being able to play a single song in it's entirety.

This is sooooo true. It happened to me when I first started learning.

Also, try to develop a good practice routine. How you practice is as important as what you practice if you want to maximize your limited practice time (I say limited because I assume that you, like the rest of us, have other responsibilities such as family, work, etc.). I wish I had learned to practice properly/effectively. Hell, I still don't do so and it definitely holds me back.

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
Hi and welcome aboard Amanda. First off, let me say I am not a lover of tabs as it leaves out so much. It would have been better if he taught you music notation. It is not difficult and is much more superior than tabs. I wonder how good a teacher he is. I know Woodstock is not very large and you may not have a large choice of teachers but you may want to look at trying to find someone else.

In the meantime, try JustinGuitar.com. You can learn a lot from his site and he is an excellent teacher. Just stay with the program and you'll be making advancement in short order.

·
Registered
6,017 Posts
Switch to acoustic and learn the basic chords.
Probably good advice.

I would say forget tabs and learn basic chords along with the simple runs that connect them. That’ll give you the basic works on how a song goes.

First song I ever learned was in grade school - House of the Rising Sun. It had everything you needed to get started: a bunch of chords, pickin in between and a relative minor. Once I got that down I had enough to start making up my own songs just by reworking what I’d learned.

Quote from Joe Walsh: “you don’t need to be able to read music for what I do.”

·
Registered
116 Posts
For me it would have been to challenge myself more. I never really wanted to learn anything, I just wanted to pick up and play songs that I liked. If a song looked too hard or I couldn't get it in a few minutes I would just abandon it. I never pushed myself to get better and wound up playing on and off with the same level of ability for nearly 20 years.
So now I pretty much hate when someone asks how long I've been playing, because when I say 20 years, and then play with the ability of someone who's been playing for 8 months.. I certainly look a little stupid.
I'm taking it more seriously now, and have learned more in the last 6 months than the previous 20 years.

As far as your teacher goes though, if they aren't working out for you, have a chat with them first.. and if they still can't.. it might be time to find someone else.

·
Premium Member
3,133 Posts
If I was asked by a friend to help them learn to play guitar, I would tell them to learn the chords first and go from there. All kinds of help on youtube for learning the chords. IMO (in my opinion) if you don't want to take the time to learn the chords, you really don't want to play guitar.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts