The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back in the winter I was rear ended by a lady who was distracted and didn't notice that I was stopped at a red light (as was the tractor trailer in front of me).

She didn't even touch her brakes as far as I can tell.

The bumper really did its job and absorbed the energy of the collision.

Since there was no functional damage I wasn't in a real rush to get it fixed.

I finally got around to it. I picked up a new replacement bumper and a can of paint, replaced the treadplate which survived the impact and voila. As you can see the treadplate will need a few weeks in the sun to settle down.

$150 later....

Before

After

·
Premium Member
18,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Fortunately the bumper absorbed ALL of the impact. It did its job perfectly.

I was very surprised that there wasn't secondary damage underneath the van. Once I got the old one off it was a walk in the park installing the new one.

I saw her coming and was completely powerless to do anything. It was a case of " here she comes.......she doesn't seem to be stopping......crap.......Smaasshhhh."

Followed by a few chioice expletives. I ended up having to console and comfort the lady. She was quite sorry and freely admited that it was completely her fault. I let her off the hook.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Fortunately the bumper absorbed ALL of the impact. It did its job perfectly.

I was very surprised that there wasn't secondary damage underneath the van. Once I got the old one off it was a walk in the park installing the new one.

I saw her coming and was completely powerless to do anything. It was a case of " here she comes.......she doesn't seem to be stopping......crap.......Smaasshhhh."

Followed by a few chioice expletives. I ended up having to console and comfort the lady. She was quite sorry and freely admited that it was completely her fault. I let her off the hook.
In winter, I've been stopping 4-5 car lengths short of the vehicle in front of me and watching my rear view. 2-3 times I've pulled ahead knowing the vehicle behind me wasn't going to stop in time.

·
Premium Member
18,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
In winter, I've been stopping 4-5 car lengths short of the vehicle in front of me and watching my rear view. 2-3 times I've pulled ahead knowing the vehicle behind me wasn't going to stop in time.

I always leave a couple of car lengths, but she wasn't looking at all. As I said, I don't think she even touched her brakes. It was in the city and she was simply not paying attention. There was no escape. If I had pulled forward she might have actually pushed me into the tractor trailer in front of me resulting in more severe damage to my van.

·
Registered
5,740 Posts

...kudos to her. too often, drivers at fault immediately enter a total state of denial.

i once t-boned a muscle car on the 407, during a snow storm. i was driving a five-ton ryder. the driver of the car thought he could get past everyone. he cut in directly front of me, then entered the passing lane, which had not yet been plowed. he immediately went into a spin and then bounced off the guard rail right into my path.

he later claimed i had hit him "on purpose".

even his own insurance company found his claim to be hilarious.

-dh

·
Premium Member
18,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
...kudos to her. too often, drivers at fault immediately enter a total state of denial.

i once t-boned a muscle car on the 407, during a snow storm. i was driving a five-ton ryder. the driver of the car thought he could get past everyone. he cut in directly front of me, then entered the passing lane, which had not yet been plowed. he immediately went into a spin and then bounced off the guard rail right into my path.

he later claimed i had hit him "on purpose".

even his own insurance company found his claim to be hilarious.

-dh
BTW, the quote above could be interpreted as me swearing at the lady. The expletives were uttered while I was still in my van after the collision.

I was quite calm while checking to see if the other driver was ok. I'm a trained first aider and her condition was my first concern.

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
BTW, the quote above could be interpreted as me swearing at the lady. The expletives were uttered while I was still in my van after the collision.
I was quite calm while checking to see if the other driver was ok. I'm a trained first aider and her condition was my first concern.

...you're a better, and more compassionate, man than i.

the male driver i t-boned suffered mild contusions to the head. during my walk over to his vehicle i had to count to ten in order to refrain from telling him what i really thought. i could not have been less concerned about his injuries.

-dh

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
When I was 18 I was run over on a motorcycle by a man in a nice new BMW. He ran a stop sign at a good clip and pretty much mowed me down as I was passing through (I had no stop sign in my direction).

I regained conciousness on a backboard with the other driver standing over me and explaining to a police officer that he lives in the area and didn't stop at the stop sign as there is never any traffic at that intersection.

I though it was kind of stupid of him to ignore the stop sign, but incredibly honorable to own up to his mistake considering that the concequences could have been severe. The man was well dressed and looked as if he may have been a lawyer or a salesman - I never would have expected him to be as honest as he was. From that day on, I've never judged people by their appearences or their outward projected image.

I've also only driven a motorcylce a few times since, but for other reasons.

·
Premium Member
18,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Ya gotta love those Christians don't ya? I wonder if vandalism is something you are supposed to bring up at confession?

Well I must acknowledge that having the Darwin fish on the van is a bit of a poke at those Christians who choose to advertise their faith on their vehicles.

I think I'll start knocking on doors and handing out pamphlets next.

·
Registered
326 Posts
" I'm in the Jehovah's Witness Protection Program. We still knock on doors, but we have to pretend we're collecting for the newspaper."

- Steven Wright

·
Premium Member
18,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
That happened to me a week ago when I was out front cleaning out the garage. I told them they couldn't talk to me because I was in the witness protection programme, and they didn't get it.

Speaking of knocking on doors and handing our pamphlets....how you gonna vote in Brantford? McCreary told me to my face at the last municipal election that there was no scenario in which he would run either provincially or federally. We now know how true that was. Levac promised effective and useful Status of the Artist legislation, and we got nothing that is either useful or effective. I have no idea who is running for NDP or Green.....so how effective can they possibly be?

<sigh> I love that we have the right to vote, I just wish we had something to vote for. I think that all but one vote I've ever cast has been a vote against something, instead of a vote for something.

I'll hold my nose and vote Liberal.

·
Premium Member
18,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
" I'm in the Jehovah's Witness Protection Program. We still knock on doors, but we have to pretend we're collecting for the newspaper."

- Steven Wright

What do you get when you cross a Jehovah's Witness with a Hells Angel?

You get a guy who knocks on your door on a Saturday morning and tells YOU to F$%k off.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I'd forgotten that one....good joke.

Every once in a while I feel like standing in front of my local JW temple while holding up a couple of copies of "Penthouse".

But then I figure the reverse karma might be huge.

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
1 - 20 of 27 Posts