• P-90's

Votes: 14 41.2%
  • Mini-Humbuckers

Votes: 5 14.7%
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
15,322 Posts
I've gotten this far primarily using humbuckers--so I'd stick with them, but at least one of the humbuckers would be a P-Rail wired to also give me the Rail & the P-90.

Reactions: Diablo

·
Registered
12,213 Posts
The most apparent differences can be heard at the end back to back comparisons.
The mini HBs stood out the most to my ear, where there were more similarities between the P90s and HBs.

I do like P90s, but they can be a racket. I can get away with a good set of HBs, especially four wire splittable units.

·
Registered
49 Posts
And IMO minis react to pedals much better than biggies: more articulate before and after effects. Shootouts are often misleading because you can choose different amps and pedals to get almost any tone from any pickup.

·
Premium Member
9,221 Posts
And IMO minis react to pedals much better than biggies: more articulate before and after effects. Shootouts are often misleading because you can choose different amps and pedals to get almost any tone from any pickup.
I would guess part of this relates to ancillary equipment. Pedals weren't that big a deal when minis were first out. But now more guys want a clearer 'more of my guitar' type sound, with a pedal board full of dirt, whereas full hums are more about 'pounding the amp into submission', in a rock context. Lower output hums are very popular now - isn't that what a mini is, boiled down to essence?

Just musing aloud. Could be wrong. But I had a guitar with minihums for a while and LOVED them, the guitar itself not so much. Would buy again.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I would guess part of this relates to ancillary equipment. Pedals weren't that big a deal when minis were first out. But now more guys want a clearer 'more of my guitar' type sound, with a pedal board full of dirt, whereas full hums are more about 'pounding the amp into submission', in a rock context. Lower output hums are very popular now - isn't that what a mini is, boiled down to essence?

Just musing aloud. Could be wrong. But I had a guitar with minihums for a while and LOVED them, the guitar itself not so much. Would buy again.
No, a mini humbucker isn't necessarily lower output. Look at a Seymour Duncan hot rails, it's a humbucker the size of a strat pickup and it can keep up with any full size humbucker. Maybe the theoretical highest output of a full size humbucker is higher, but no one is designing pickups to that limit.

The length of the string that each pickup senses is different. A full size humbucker covers a greater length of the string than the wavelength of higher harmonics, so you'd get some cancellation and loss of high-end detail. There's other differences too, like needing to use thinner wire to fit as many winds in a smaller pickup, which affects the impedance and thus the way the circuit reacts to whatever you're plugging into.

This kind of shootout is a little pointless because there's a range of pickup styles for each. But if he's showing "here's what I consider a typical sound for each of these types of pickups" then that could be useful.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
549 Posts
If my decision was based on the video, I would choose mini-hums. I thought they sounded the best. In real life, probably P90’s.
In response to “P90’s are noisy”, my electric guitars are noisy. Because they’re loud.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Interesting, I've always leaned towards the P-90 and not much of a Humbucker fan. However, after listening to this comparison video my ears perked up when hearing the Mini-Humbuckers. To my ears they are right down the middle of the Humbuckers and P90's. Well, now I'll explain this to my wife and she will surely understand why I must add a guitar with the Mini-Hums to the already obese guitar rack🎸,...she'll understand,...right?😡➡ 👩+🌪+👊 = 🚑+🏥

·
Registered
835 Posts
Went with Humbuckers.

For the sake of muddying the waters, can I coil split??

1 - 20 of 28 Posts