The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Tell your prophets to pray and tell your bandits to run.
7,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got one of these tonight. Running it through a Traynor 225 W acoustic amp which doesn’t sound too bad. Not sure about this thing though. Managed to find waltz time on it because a good few of my songs are in 3/4 time. So I got that going but all I could come up with was:

Bayou Bill from Ballantrae was sellin the crystal meth.
Kathy Sue from the Maritimes was damn near lookin like death.
1-2-3 1-2-3 etc

Early days yet but this will need to work better or I might send it back.

Cloud Eyewear Gadget Rectangle Office equipment

·
Registered
1965 Fender Mustang, Ampegs, anything to test an amp.
2,559 Posts
My understanding is that there is a big difference between the bigger BeatBuddy and the Beatbuddy Mini.
Yeah the 24-bit sound of the regular BeatBuddy may have better fidelity, if your ears are sensitive enough to detect it. It's only certain conditions that I notice the difference. The mini is like the 16-bit SoundBlasters.

·
Premium Member
12,221 Posts
A few years back I bought a Beat Buddy with the added footswitch to use with my fiddle/guitar duo for ballroom dance studio evenings...and I've totally forgotten how to use it. The dance studio really liked that we could switch back and forth at will between time signatures, tempos, and styles (we were sight-reading most of the time) but they were very particular about tempo and wanted to hear a loud drum beat. I spent hours finding the right rhythms. Lots of waltzes, and 4/4 swing. It was kind of fun, but I felt too much like a human jukebox for my liking. Those were good paying gigs and the dancers were fun to watch and party with, but with C-19 the phone has stopped ringing.

So, after seeing your post, I got it out again and maybe I'll use it. My PA is still stored (again, C-19) so it'll be up to my bass amp.

Audio equipment Gas Technology Electronic device Font

·
Premium Member
1,789 Posts
A few years back I bought a Beat Buddy with the added footswitch to use with my fiddle/guitar duo for ballroom dance studio evenings...and I've totally forgotten how to use it. The dance studio really liked that we could switch back and forth at will between time signatures, tempos, and styles (we were sight-reading most of the time) but they were very particular about tempo and wanted to hear a loud drum beat. I spent hours finding the right rhythms. Lots of waltzes, and 4/4 swing. It was kind of fun, but I felt too much like a human jukebox for my liking. Those were good paying gigs and the dancers were fun to watch and party with, but with C-19 the phone has stopped ringing.

So, after seeing your post, I got it out again and maybe I'll use it. My PA is still stored (again, C-19) so it'll be up to my bass amp.

View attachment 397708
That's cool, I have a simple metronome beat keeper in my RC-3. I have been looking for a decent beat box.

·
Premium Member
4,829 Posts
Got one of these tonight. Running it through a Traynor 225 W acoustic amp which doesn’t sound too bad. Not sure about this thing though. Managed to find waltz time on it because a good few of my songs are in 3/4 time. So I got that going but all I could come up with was:

Bayou Bill from Ballantrae was sellin the crystal meth.
Kathy Sue from the Maritimes was damn near lookin like death.
1-2-3 1-2-3 etc

Early days yet but this will need to work better or I might send it back.

View attachment 397638
I have one of these for the last 3 years almost and use it all the time for playing live or recording. Its an okey drum machine but give yourself a bit more time to figure it out. Its got some good rock, blues patterns on it. Keep at it buddy.

·
Premium Member
4,829 Posts
For what it's worth, I have the bigger BeatBuddy, and it's fantastic: BeatBuddy: the Next Generation Drum Machine Pedal | Singular Sound

Lots of different beats, and you can do add in fills, etc. I've even gigged with it a couple of times for acoustic gigs.

My understanding is that there is a big difference between the bigger BeatBuddy and the Beatbuddy Mini.
There is a big difference thats for sure. I have tried both and for live applications, i like the Mini version as its simple and fast to dial in your drum pattern. I would prefer the bigger BB for recording.

·
Registered
Tell your prophets to pray and tell your bandits to run.
7,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've been messing with it a bit more and starting to get it. Part of it is that I don't know a lot about drum patterns and have to fish around for one that works whereas a drummer would just play something that fits. One of the things I found to be a problem was matching tempo to my own songs but I tried a momentary switch that I had laying around and it works for the tap tempo setting so that helped a lot and now I don't have to buy another pedal. Some of the fills can be a bit too loud; be nice to turn them down but for an out of the box no software to mess around with drum pedal this one is fine for what I'm doing. It sounds pretty good through the Traynor AM 225 acoustic amp which is a good sized box and has good eq as well as line out for pre and post efx.

·
Premium Member
4,829 Posts
I've been messing with it a bit more and starting to get it. Part of it is that I don't know a lot about drum patterns and have to fish around for one that works whereas a drummer would just play something that fits. One of the things I found to be a problem was matching tempo to my own songs but I tried a momentary switch that I had laying around and it works for the tap tempo setting so that helped a lot and now I don't have to buy another pedal. Some of the fills can be a bit too loud; be nice to turn them down but for an out of the box no software to mess around with drum pedal this one is fine for what I'm doing. It sounds pretty good through the Traynor AM 225 acoustic amp which is a good sized box and has good eq as well as line out for pre and post efx.
Some of those drum fills are really not needed thats for sure. The intro's also leave a bit to be desired for some songs. I bought a BB stop go pedal for it so i can just start it with a 1-2-3-4 count without the intro drums. Keep at it and it really is a nice little rig for live and recording plus it acts as a metronome so thats a good thing and it never speeds up or slows down, drinks or comes in late for gigs or practice LOL. Just kidding, love live drummers.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
I have the full size Beat Buddy with the accessory foot switch. I have only ever used it for home recording and every time I do, I have to learn how to use it all over again. They used to send me a lot of emails advertising special programs for specific artists/songs. I never bought any of those. The one and only thing I did buy was the Yamaha Drum Kit.

Reactions: marcos

·
Premium Member
4,829 Posts
I have the full size Beat Buddy with the accessory foot switch. I have only ever used it for home recording and every time I do, I have to learn how to use it all over again. They used to send me a lot of emails advertising special programs for specific artists/songs. I never bought any of those. The one and only thing I did buy was the Yamaha Drum Kit.
I agree with you on operating the full size BB. My friend has one and i fudged around with it and could not dial in the pattern i needed like i do on the mini BB. He also told me you can buy song drum patterns complete for 5.00 i think. For gigging, the mini is faster and easier.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts