The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone use them?

I acquired a gutted amp that I'll be using as an extension cab and I'm considering making a beam blocker. I haven't personally heard any cabs with this and you tube vids don't help much. Something simple. Maybe cut a ball in half or even use a cd. lol

Reactions: DaddyDog

·
Premium Member
8,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It'll be DIY. As mentioned, cut a ball in half, bottom of a tin can, foam, styrofoam xmas balls ..

·
Registered
24,361 Posts
The old Visual Sound / Truetone Workhorse and Pony amplifiers came with beam blockers. They didn't sell enough for it to be continued.

·
Premium Member
8,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hubcaps make a great speaker grill. Spoked preferably.

·
Registered
137 Posts
My Tone King Falcon had a "diffuser" that worked on the same principle. Whatever it contributed to that amazing amp, it worked! It was in conjunction with a 10" Ragin' Cajun' speaker...the bigger Tone Kings, like my Sky King, don't use a beam blocker.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Canadian Tire hubcaps. Ford Festiva rims
I was thinking nearly the same thing. Spinner disks. Those god awful things that should never have been the fad that they were.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts

·
Premium Member
515 Posts
I’ve seen people just put a patch of duct tape on the inside of the grill cloth lined up with the centre of the cap

·
Premium Member
11,838 Posts
IME, beam blockers don't work as advertised. If I had a problem with a beamy sound, I'd be more inclined to try some Mitchell donuts.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts