The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had no idea until recently that people would tune a regular 4 string bass to BEAD.

What types of basses and pickups work well down to B?

Do you buy a 5-string set of strings, or a BEAD set?

·
Premium Member
8,578 Posts
-I haven't done it
-Any bass will work, but if you can find a longer 35" scale that would work better
-I don't know that BEAD sets are sold. You could either buy a 5 set or a 4 set and a B single, or singles to make up a custom set if you don't want to waste that 1 string.

There are no right and wrong answers to any of your questions. Myself, if I were to do it, would prefer something with pretty hot output pups like a G&L L2000, assuming I was going to play loud rock BEAD though if you're doing country you might prefer something not so hot.

·
Premium Member
10,950 Posts
What keto said.

I tried it briefly before buying a 5 string, then another 5 string, then another 5 string...

I did have to widen the nut slots a bit for the larger gauge strings, but that's not a huge issue.

·
Premium Member
3,178 Posts
Just buy a 4 string set that has the fattest low E you can find ( like 105 at least, tapewounds don't count). You may need to reslot the nut. D'addario and Slinkys both offer multiple sets in such big guages and you can get those anywhere.

Regular long scale (34" ) is fine; you will just need to tweak yer setup (truss rod etc) and it may take some experimentation with string brands to get it where you like it (low tension strings may not be your friend here - and different brands are higher/lower tension ion general even at the same guage, but otherwise fatter string = higher tension). Most manufacturars post tension specs on their websites so you can compare. IIRC Labellas are notorious for high tension (and so recently introduced a specifically 'low tension' set).

The reproduction issue does not usually include the pickup; the issue is the speaker. Frankly, the best use of a low B is not the open note (mud city even if your amp can reproduce it), but being able to hit those notes you can't get to without changing positions if you're rooting somewhere midneck on the E/A strings.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
I've done it a few times and it can work reasonably well. Like others have said, 35" scale length would be ideal, but that's hard to find on a 4 string. I've found less than stellar results on Fender style basses, a bit better success with active hum-bucking basses. The bottom 4 strings of a 5-string set (125 or 130 B) are a must in my opinion; a 105 would just be way too sloppy tuned down that far. Adjusting the nut slot, truss-rod etc is also necessary and easy.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I bought a sunburst Fender Modern Player Telecaster Bass to do this with. The neck seems a bit high, so hopefully the tech can get it to work.

It’s not as cool as the butterscotch one.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have a drop a# bass to play some inflames couple times per years.

Simple bass with active pickups so I can tune a bit the eq.
Just bought a 135 ernie ball 5string set and used the bigger strings.

Envoyé de mon SM-G950W en utilisant Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts