The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone seen it yet??

My wife (and another couple) and I saw this on Saturday night in Toronto. First off, I like live theater. We go to Stratford a few times a year, and see some Shakespeare, and some musicals. We've seen Tommy there, Jesus Christ Superstar, and a few others. However, I do not like Meatloaf! My wife does, and because of my like for musicals, I'thought I'd give it a go.... for her...

I honestly thought... the parts of Meatloaf I dislike the most (the over the top theatrics) might make more sense in a stage production than it does on record. But I still didn't like it!

However, in an effort to not make this all about the negative, it was super energetic, and very well done. I do not regret spending the money, cause I've seen a lot worse. The second act was far better than the first, so if you like Meatloaf, and musical theater, you will probably like this. My wife and her friend sure did!

I do have one negative I'm trying really hard to overcome though... it's a Saturday night, packed house, and we got the under-study. He was good, no doubt about it, but the media has hyped the two main actors almost as much as the story line and creation of the thing itself. I've suffered through every television and Netflix documentary on this guy who's been cast as "Strat", and we didn't get to see him. Is that petty?

·
Administrator
15,823 Posts
I went to see it with my son a while back. He bought the tickets for us. It would not have been one that I would have chosen myself. I love the theater as well and have seen most of the bigs like Phanton, Les Mis, Cats, Miss Saigon etc. This one would be down the list a fair bit. I would class it as entertaining. I think we also had the understudy playing Strat. Not highly recommended even if you are a huge meatloaf fan, which I'm not. My son enjoyed it more than I did.

·
Registered
9,470 Posts
Meatloaf, Bat out if hell isn't on my to do list!
I don't like him one bit. If I had to sit through listening to him I would rather go to a concert.

·
Premium Member
11,108 Posts
Forgive me, I never got the Bat Out Of Hell thing. Too much screaming teenage style angst and pretension in a quasi rock-opera. I must have been about 20, single, and immersed in blues-rock and prog-rock when it was released. I refused to have anything to do with it, except one couldn't go anywhere without hearing it, even wedding receptions. Its reemergence hasn't mellowed me...still don't get it.

Carry on.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Dr. Frankenfurter wasn't much of a fan...he served meatloaf for dinner at the castle.

·
Premium Member
2,969 Posts
Love the LP, not sure I would want to see it as theatre, unless some of his old bandmates were in it like Ted Nugent, and maybe his son in law Scott Ian. That would be kinda cool, but not as cool as the LP............

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Its really a Jim Steinman production. Meatloaf, outside of promoting it does not participate in any way. There are several other Jim Steinman written songs in the play other than what he wrote for Bat Out Of Hell.
You're right, Meat only performed them... now he promotes it. Here's a fun fact, the BooH vol I came out in the 70's, and the sequel, BooH vol II: Back into Hell came out in the 90's. I had no idea there was a third! Couldn't name a single song from it... There were a few tunes I didn't recognize at all, but that's not so surprising, cause as I said, I'm not a Meatloaf fan.... not one iota! But there were (at least) two songs Steinman wrote for others in there. "Making Love Out of Nothing At All", we know as an Air Supply hit, and "It's All Coming Back to Me (Now)" I know best as a Celine Dion hit.

Like I said, I do really like live theater, so it was a "good production". But I think it would be more enjoyable to those who like Meatloaf as well.

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
You're right, Meat only performed them... now he promotes it. Here's a fun fact, the BooH vol I came out in the 70's, and the sequel, BooH vol II: Back into Hell came out in the 90's. I had no idea there was a third! Couldn't name a single song from it... There were a few tunes I didn't recognize at all, but that's not so surprising, cause as I said, I'm not a Meatloaf fan.... not one iota! But there were (at least) two songs Steinman wrote for others in there. "Making Love Out of Nothing At All", we know as an Air Supply hit, and "It's All Coming Back to Me (Now)" I know best as a Celine Dion hit.

Like I said, I do really like live theater, so it was a "good production". But I think it would be more enjoyable to those who like Meatloaf as well.
Meat was supposed to do It's All Coming Back, but it ended up going to Celine first. Meat eventually did a take on it on BooH III

I'm a pretty big Meat Loaf fan - or at least I'm a big fan of BooH I & II and liked a good chunk of Welcome to the Neighbourhood, but the rest I could take or leave (leaning more to leave). I love Steinman's theatrical approach to music and as a big Springsteen fan, I get a kick out of Max Weinman and Roy Bittan being all over the album, too.

I'd love to see the musical and was looking into it, but ticket prices swayed me to pass. Hearing of regular understudy appearances doesn't really make me want to jump to see it, either.

·
Registered
5,011 Posts
Wait a second, you pay to go see a musical of Bat Out of Hell and you don't get to see Mr. Loaf?
Like he's got something better to do? Really?

·
Premium Member
10,076 Posts
I'm not a fan of Meat Loaf or musicals so I'm going to pass on this. theyre both so cheesy. Meatloaf reminds me of Jack Black when he sings.
rocky Horror on Halloween is a lot of fun though.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts