The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14,573 Posts
You love us?
Thanks.

(I am both a guitar player & bass player--and I'll accept any & all compliments & kind words.)

·
Premium Member
2,100 Posts
It is easy to play guitar with a good bass player and drummer. If either of them are sub par it is very hard to play guitar. They don't have to be fancy, just keep good time. If they can add a bit of spice while keeping good time it is fantastic.

·
Registered
9,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You love us?
Thanks.

(I am both a guitar player & bass player--and I'll accept any & all compliments & kind words.)
Of course I do. It wouldn’t be a band without the bass player!

·
Premium Member
884 Posts
Chord inversions! I play bass and guitar and have played some songs with both instruments (not at the same time!) and it really makes you play the song better when you have a good understanding of what each instrument is doing. I find it pretty easy to hear when the third note of the scale is the bass note, so it's relatively easy for me to figure out the song on the other instrument when those are used. But when you get some weirder inversions like C/A, it takes me an extra moment to figure out what is going on. With that different bass note things can sound drastically different, which shows how the bass has a lot of power to shape a song!

One of my favourite examples of inversions is the beginning of the chorus of All my Life by the Foo Fighters. It starts on an Eb and then goes to Gm, but the bass just plays G over both of those chords. It sounds so satisfying to my brain. If the bass just followed the root playing Eb and then G, it would lose the tension and resolution.

One thing about the original video that drove me bonkers was when he kept talking about playing different notes "in the root". Funny that he couldn't just call it the "bass note" as he is talking about playing bass, and a bass player is playing that note on his bass, it's the lowest note being played, and it is the bass note!!! The root doesn't change!! :mad::mad::mad:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts