The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My monday night jammming group periodically goes on what I call, field trips. A couple of weeks ago, we went to The Courthouse Live to see Joey DeFrancesco with Jake Langley on guitar, and Terry Clarke on drums. In a word......incredible.

I've been listening to allot of Joey D's music these days. I happen to love the sound of the B3 in both blues and jazz, and at the age of 35, he's already established himself as legendary. But what impresses me the most about his playing, is the bass lines he pulls off playing the pedals with his left foot, independant of what his hands are doing. It blows me away.

There are times when we jam (albeit rarely), that we don't have a rhythm section of any kind. Our keyboard and guitar players just can't make it, so we end up with a couple of horns, drums, and myself playing bass (and guitar). We typically use these sessions to work on specific parts of tunes, or to introduce new marterial. I end up playing both the guitar and the bass since I do most of the arranging.

So after seeing Joey D., I got to thinking....wouldn't it be cool to be able to play the guitar and the bass via pedals simultaneously on the nights that we don't have a rhythm section. A whole new skill would have to be learned. After doing some research, I found that bass players like John Paul Jones and Geddy Lee use them so as to be able to play other instruments at the same time.

For now, I'm looking for thoughts and ideas as it relates to anyone trying it, what equipment to use, etc, etc........or am I just plain nuts to be even thinking about it.

Thanks in advance,

Lawrie

·
Registered
68 Posts
not sure where or who makes it.. but I have seen stand alone bass pedal boards to do just what you are suggesting..

come to think of it,, it might have been Roland that had that...

but it is out there and being used..

·
Premium Member
10,993 Posts
You mean the Moog Taurus bass keyboard pedals? Cool! Always wanted one because I grew up around good pipe organs and cheap electric organs. Someone should start making them again, or develop a kit.

Peace, Mooh.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I have seen a guy using a Behringer FCB1010 MIDI footpedal and a Roland Sound Canvas as his bass pedal rig. The Taurus bass pedals are rare and therefore expensive. No idea how long it would take to program the Behringer setup though....

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
After surfing around the net for bit, it looks like Roland has a couple of models available. The Moog Taurus pedals look amazing, but I'm sure they're rare and quite expensive.

There are a ton of organs on Craigslist with footpedals that go for between $100-$200. I was thinking of buying one of those hulks, breaking it down for the pedals and electronics, and just design a box around what's left.

Lawrie

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
FYI
Was down on Queen near Bathurst yesterday and seen there is a new MOOG only store..not sure what they have.

Not sure if it helps but...
Bev

1 - 10 of 10 Posts