The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I am sorry but I am kind of getting frustrated. I have a Warwick FNA Jazzman 5 which is an absolutely gorgous bass and a Yorkville 200 watt combo amp...2x10. The bass is just so powerful and so many options that I just don't know how to dial in a clear tone thats still thumpin'. I've tried, but I've never really worked with EQ, just playing...and to be quite frank...the bass is overwhelming me. Can you pleaseee offer some EQ settings n my amp and bass to give me a start on a clear not tiny tone? I'll give you some specs on the bass and amp here:
Corvette FNA JazzMan 5 Swamp Ash, Flamed Maple Cap 24 111.5 4 MEC "Large Pole" Passive J MEC Active BEC III-2, 3-way Gold

Type Combo Bass Amplifier
Cabinet Impedance (Ohms) 4
Power @ min. impedance (Watts) 200
Minimum Impedance (Ohms) 2
Burst Power - 2 cycle 250
Speaker Configuration - LF (Size / Power) 2 x 10 inch
Speaker Configuration - HF (Size / Power) Piezo Tweeter
Hum and Noise (dB) -90 dB Unweighted / -94dB Weighted
Input Channels 1
Channel 1 - inputs 1/4 inch phono jack
Channel 1 - controls Volume, Bass, Lo-mid, Hi-mid, Treble, Contour
Channel 1 - switches Limiter, DI out pre/post EQ
Input Sensitivity (mV) 25
Line Out (type / configuration) XLR pre or post EQ
Line Out Sensitivity (Vrms) 1.0
Effects Loop / Location Yes / Front
LED Indicators Power
Protection Thermal / Short Circuit
Limiter / Switchable Yes
External speaker output / location Yes / Rear
Headphone Jack Yes
Other Features XC115X Single 15 inch Extension cabinet is ideal mate for XC200 / XC200T
Dimensions (DWH, inches) 14 x 22 x 23.5
Dimensions (DWH, cm) 36 x 56 x 60
Weight (lbs / kg) 64.8 / 29.4

Any and all help is greatly appreciated from strings, to EQ to well quite frankly anything! thanks...btw the stock Warwick strings are still on the bass...

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
well I dont know about your bass, but ive got the same combo, with the 15. I cant quite remember, my amp is at a buddy's house, but i think i generally turn up the scoop to about 3 oclock, treble: 10, high mid: 12, low mid:11 and bass: 1. I also use an eq pedal in which i boost the mids and lower the treble more.

i do know that there is alot of knobs on the bass. i found a warwick forum a while back, http://www.warwick.de/forum/phpBB2/index.php, you could ask there and see if anybody can give you help getting the sound you want.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
haha yea man just getting a variety of answers...I'm new to this board thought it would be interesting to hear some other responses. BTW thanks for the speedy responses I'm sure they'll help a lot...

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
You need to be patient!

It took me over 20 years to be SHOWN that you MUST start at all settings flat to find your tone.

You've got a phenominal bass (I've owned 2 Neck-thru Thumbs) and a great amp (I currently play an XS800 into an 808cab). The gear is not your issue. Also - finding your tone at practice volume and gigging volume are 2 different things.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
haha I know man...I'm just so anxious...I have a beautiful bass and the sound in my head is not coming out! But oh baby is it nice, and I know I know...patience is a virtue haha.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
ryhon said:
haha I know man...I'm just so anxious...I have a beautiful bass and the sound in my head is not coming out! But oh baby is it nice, and I know I know...patience is a virtue haha.
It's funny you say that about the sound in your head. I've had numerous basses costing upwards of $2000, and now I find myself playing Yorkville gear and SX basses, and never liking my sound more! I probably could have saved myself a lot of buying and selling over the years with a little patience.
Of course, having a new bass for every gig is kinda fun too!

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
james on bass said:
It's funny you say that about the sound in your head. I've had numerous basses costing upwards of $2000, and now I find myself playing Yorkville gear and SX basses, and never liking my sound more! I probably could have saved myself a lot of buying and selling over the years with a little patience.
Of course, having a new bass for every gig is kinda fun too!
maybe you just have alot of hearing damage now with that 800watt beast, so it doesnt matter what it sounds like, as long as you can feel it. lol:rolleyes:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts