The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Thought i'd share an interesting project I just finished.

This started with:

I made this myself. It's a digitizing probe, that goes into my CNC.

Then, I scanned an existing template:

That gave this result on my CAD software:

Then, after some time doing the 3D model and CNC programing, it eventually gave birth to this:

This is not for me...so, design wise...to each his own. I only follow orders LOL

Any questions or comments on the whole process, don't hesitate!

·
Registered
569 Posts
That is fantastic! I'd love to talk to you some time about your setup (i.e. motor control software, CAM software) because I'm building a CNC router in my garage right now. My dream is to do exactly this - get a guitar body directly from a CAD file. I imagine you learned a lot of what not to do along with what you should do and that kind of wisdom would be really helpful in my avoiding costly mistakes or unsuitable software purchases. Right now I'm investigating Autodesk Fusion because it seems to have CAM built in and is free for hobbyists Once again, amazing work!

What's your method for placing the piece accurately after you flip it over?

·
Registered
131 Posts
I like the horns, but the bottom section looks like a PacMan is trying to eat the rest of the body. The horns are definetly cool though.

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
I have no problem with the build process.

My first thoughts when I saw the finished assembly is that the body is too small for that neck.
When I looked over at my Fender Precision just a few feet away from me I can see that the strap button
is at the same level as the 11th fret.
On this build, it will be at about the 14th or 15th fret.
With the very small body mass and the location of the strap button, I really hope things work out well cause on first blush,
I see balance problems.
G.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
And here it is the finished body. The customer wanted a few modifications, so out with the files and rasps!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts