The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
4,739 Posts
What do you guys think about the smaller Ashdown and Ampeg head/cab setups?
A guy was playing a mini portaflex (PF-20T) into a 2x10 at the local store, it sounded great.

·
Premium Member
318 Posts
I have a Fender Rumble 500 combo that I use for practicing and gigs. Light (under 40 lbs) very powerful, and sounds great.

If I need to really fill a big room, I add a Barefaced Two10s cab.

I also have a Mesa D800+ that I can pair with the Barefaced for a killer and powerful setup.

·
Premium Member
16,650 Posts
The new YBA300 was great until we were stateside with no available service to help repair it. So long as you're in Canada you're ok haha.

·
Premium Member
551 Posts
I did just pick up a Traynor yba300. The previous one I had went strong for 3 years. Sold it due to moving. I hope this new one will last as long without any issues.
27EF0F1B-11B8-4E68-AC45-BC3AEE068099.jpeg

·
Registered
11,755 Posts
I have a GK MB-S III, great little grab and go, line out if you need more oomph into the PA.
I've had compliments on the tone of that unit and it keeps up pretty well for small jams on its own.

For a bit more, I have a Markbass Little Mark 250 through a Marshall 4x10. A fun rig too.

·
Registered
11,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I find them attractive to look at but over rated. I have a 175 watt 1x15 combo. Super heavy and barely keeps up. I did get it for $-60 tho. It’s pretty. I’d give it a 6/10.
yikes, I thought they were top dog. I was going to trade a MIM Thinline for one of these but buddy wants cash on top and I'm thinking it may be a bit much for my jam room needs. you right thou, looks cool

Ashdown Little Bastard All Tube Bass 1/2 Stack Amp | Amps & Pedals | Edmonton | Kijiji

·
Premium Member
3,153 Posts
I’ve searched for years for that certain bass tone. Stopped searching when I picked up a Traynor yba300 with the matching 8x10 cabinet. Just massive and way overkill but even at low volumes it sounded so good.

That setup has been sold since moving across provinces. Now I’m looking for that tone out of a smaller rig. Moving into a house here soon so I’ll be on the lookout.

I’ll probably look into the mark stuff or a Mesa. I’ll probably end up with the yba300 again though just because it did it all.
Ooh yah. The only thing better than tubes is WAY MORE TUBES! :D
Guys I want an original Thunderfunk so bad but unobtainium.

What do you guys think about the smaller Ashdown and Ampeg head/cab setups?
There was a local used gear shop that had a huge Not For Sale sign on this vintage fliptop that was the floor demo amp. Brilliant strategy - everything sounded good thrrogh that thing so people would totally buy what they tried. RIP that place so hard.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts