·
Premium Member
7,443 Posts
Markbass 115 Jeff Berlin
Traynor SB115 for smaller rooms and jams

·
Premium Member
3,153 Posts
If I got the kids and we jam at my house I use a Peavey bandit 10" combo. Seriously. Just turn the treble all the way down, bass all the way up; can't get too loud anyways.

Any other time I will use my proper rig - Sunn 1200s (vint tube vs modern ss) into a Musicman 115RH with Altec speaker. If at my jam spot I will also run a Riviera 4x12 loaded with 2 each Cerwin Vegas and Faitals.

·
Premium Member
7,443 Posts
Is anyone using TC Electronic gear? Like the BH250 and so on
I A/B'd that combo against the Traynor SB115.
Even though there was a 50w difference and the extra's of toneprint and a tuner,
the Traynor won out for me.

A friend tried to trade his TC plus cash for my Traynor.
Wasn't going to happen. lol

·
Premium Member
2,021 Posts
One of my kids has a BG250 and it's worked well for him with some Zoom bass unit for his effects for his metal/prog stuff (5&6 string bass).

If I'm being honest, it was for sure the $249 price at Cosmo's that got the box into the back of my truck...

Light weight & solid enough, it's never given him any issues. It's been more than enough to fill the ACC* the handful of times he's played there.
(*Ajax Community Centre)

It's served him well through his high school band days - much the same way a Peavey Bandit did for me and my buddies back in the day.

For the price - it was the winner the day we went looking for his first bass amp, but it has been reliable since then.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
At home direct in to a QSC K10

Small stage a David Eden WT330 CXC110 combo

Big stage SVT PRO3 and 4x10 cabinet

·
Premium Member
10,868 Posts
For years I’ve used a Yorkville 50 watt xm50 for small gigs, recording, and jams. Last year I picked up a second one. The pedals in the picture are from my guitar rig.
5E9DD62C-0653-4CAC-8886-7112032EE8DE.jpeg

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
I love my SWR Red Head.
IMO, it is the perfect bass amp and I've tried quite a few from Fender to Sunn to Ampeg to Boogie to Traynor to Trace.
I've had bigger rigs and smaller rigs.
The Red Head seems like the perfect balance.
It has wheels to make it easier to get into and out of places.
It's got plenty of power for everything except really huge venues.
For those larger situations I have a 210+115+horn extension cabinet that does an amazing job of substantially increasing my decibel output if needed.
After many years of searching, I have stopped searching.
There's no need to search anymore.
I have arrived at bass Nirvana.
Clear, articulate, dynamic.
I understand the newer TC and Mark stuff is also pretty good but I have no need to make a change.
I am 100% happy where I'm at.
The only rig I ever owned that I thought (maybe) sounded slightly better was a Boogie 400+ and a pair of old school Hartke 410s before they introduced the lighter cabs.
I'm glad I don't have to cart all that much rig around anymore.

·
Registered
14,383 Posts
I don't gig, but for playing with others or amplified at home I use a Fender Rumble 40--great sound & handy XLR jack int he back to go to a PA & still hear it from the map.
If you need more watts, they do make higher watt versions--and they are light--which is important these days if I take my gear somewhere.

·
Premium Member
7,443 Posts
I love my SWR Red Head.
Googled the specs and it looks impressive.
My concern is the weight (95 lbs!!!).
With my knee, that's the first thing I look at nowadays.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
With the castors it's very manageable ... except when there are stairs.
For stairs it has recessed road-case style handles that make it pretty easy for two to carry up.

·
Premium Member
551 Posts
I’ve searched for years for that certain bass tone. Stopped searching when I picked up a Traynor yba300 with the matching 8x10 cabinet. Just massive and way overkill but even at low volumes it sounded so good.

That setup has been sold since moving across provinces. Now I’m looking for that tone out of a smaller rig. Moving into a house here soon so I’ll be on the lookout.

I’ll probably look into the mark stuff or a Mesa. I’ll probably end up with the yba300 again though just because it did it all.

·
Premium Member
8,546 Posts
I’ve searched for years for that certain bass tone. Stopped searching when I picked up a Traynor yba300 with the matching 8x10 cabinet. Just massive and way overkill but even at low volumes it sounded so good.

That setup has been sold since moving across provinces. Now I’m looking for that tone out of a smaller rig. Moving into a house here soon so I’ll be on the lookout.

I’ll probably look into the mark stuff or a Mesa. I’ll probably end up with the yba300 again though just because it did it all.
The Mesa stuff out now is amazing. I have a 115, a 215, and a D-800, and did own all the Subway first run cabs and the 800+ and, briefly, the WD (which I didn’t dig for me but nothing wrong with it). You’d have to be wayyy off the map to dial up a poor tone with them.

·
Registered
11,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
What do you guys think about the smaller Ashdown and Ampeg head/cab setups?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts