The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about all the bass amps I've burned through. Going back to the early '70s here!
Let's list bass amps...

Dynaco tube head with tie dye 18" spkr box - hippy days
Fender Bassman silver face
Furman parametric eq - only to be operated by a genius
Acoustic 140 head with random spkr boxes
Ampeg b15n tube/15" - still gigging it 40 years later
Acoustic 370 2x15 - that was loud
Yorkville Bassmaster 50 practice amp - still in use
Yorkville Bassmaster XS800 800 w rms - loud & still in use
Mesa Boogie 4x10 in real suede purple leather - still in use
Orange Crush 35b practice amp - still in use
Galien Krueger MB112II - still in use

L

·
0 Posts
I've only recently picked up bass full time (3 yrs).
Fender BXR300 combo.
Markbass Jeff Berlin 115 combo.
Looking for a reasonably priced 210 cab to pair up with the MB.

·
Premium Member
4,439 Posts
I played bass for about 6-8 years and i remember my old Traynor Custom 8 ten inch cab that was heavy. Lately i bought a MarkBass combo. Great amp and lots of power in a small compact size. Times have changed.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Traynor bassmate combo (Still own it)
Traynor bassmaster w/2x15 cab
Swr workingman's 300 w/Fender 1x15 cab
Line 6 Bass PODxt into a Behringer 100w power amp w/Behringer 8x10 cab
Traynor YBA200 w/Avatar 2x10 and 1x12 cab
JCM800 w/Fender 1x15 cab
Phil Jones Flight Case BG-150
Mesa M3 1x12 combo (Still own)

·
Registered
2,967 Posts
Started with a small Stage bass amp made by Unicord. I then moved to Peavey. Had lots of peavey, The Bass head and 215 cab, peavey 200 head and 215 cab, peavey 400 and yet again with a 215 scorpion cab. Peavey Mark 3 with 1510 cab... I forget some...

I then move to acoustic. .. I love my 450 head...
Followed with a bunch of Traynors ... you know the classics. YBA3, YBA1, YBA2

Went and tried different sounds with Dynacord amps. Then a bunch Pepco and Lifco...

Now I'm in a big Garnet craze...

It' s just fun to explore and try different sounds and amps...

I'm cerrtain I will try more as time moves on.

Big cabs are a must for great sound on bass... the cabs are very important so that means heavy gear... bass players have heavy gear...

I think one of my next step will be to explore even more different types of cabs.

·
Premium Member
2,182 Posts
Fender 4x10 Silverface Bassman when I played in the 80's. Heavy but it sounded pretty good from what I remember.
I picked up a Markbass 1x15 JB combo a couple of years ago when I started again, its just about perfect. Light, portable, sounds great. I think it was about $600 used.

·
Premium Member
8,578 Posts
Like Larry, I’m about 3 years full time on bass.
Come & gone were a Peavey MiniMega, a Fender SuperBassman 300, and a GK Neo 2X12

Have a Mesa Subway D-800 (now my backup in the gig bag amp), a D-800+ (yes, worth the upgrade), each of the Subway cabs (112, 210, 115 which is the best cab solo), and a GK RB400IV I keep at 1 band space.

·
Premium Member
3,218 Posts
Started playing bass about five years ago - probably longer, but it feels like five years. Picked up a Yamaha B50-115. Sounds great, but HEAVY. Loaned it to a friend about two years ago (again, maybe longer) and haven't seen it since. She keeps threatening to return it, but that would mean dragging it out of her basement. I'd hate to part with it, but I hope to never gig with it again. I use a SansAmp Bass Driver DI and I LOVE it. Best of all, it's about 75 pounds lighter than my amp.

·
Premium Member
10,950 Posts
My bass career started by accident, over 40 years ago. I actually went to a guitar audition but the band and manager hired the guy before me without even hearing me. They said I could audition for the bass and since I could play bass lines on guitar, read the bass clef because I was also a keys player, and the tunes were easy, I got the job. I bought a Fender Mustang Bass and a Yamaha amp that week, though it wasn't long before I added a Telecaster bass. That Yamaha amp with a 15" speaker became my everything amp for a long time. Used it for guitar, bass, and keys. Had to replace the speaker because the original one was crap. I eventually bought a second similar amp so that I didn't have to screw around with settings all the time on stage. Not sure what happened to either of them, but they got me through 2 or 3 bands.

Some years passed when I got called to play bass in a folk/trad band where volume wasn't a concern. Again, a Yamaha amp but a much smaller one this time.

After that came The Unknown Legends (a Neil Young tribute) where I played through a 200w Fender and a pair of Yorkville 50w wedge monitors.

Then came The Preachers' Sons (an originals band) where I played through a 200w Yorkville and a 50w Yorkville.

Since then I've kept that little Yorkville 50w and it sees regular use in the lesson studio.

I promised myself that if I get another regular bass gig I'll invest in a new amp, probably a head with a couple of cabs so that I can go back to choosing how much I want to carry per venue.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts