The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I recently received an Ibanez electric guitar for my birthday since Ive always wanted to play a guitar and so I wanted to ask a couple questions. Are there any guitar guides out there that offer more in terms of an easier learning experience? Currently Im visiting websites like cyberfret.com and trying to learn at the best of my ability. Also, I realize Im going to need a amplifier, and since Im starting out I dont want to spend too much, all I want is a basic amp, the output doesnt have to be amazing, just basic with one headphone jack and maybe an EQ, and I found one that didnt look too bad, http://www.tomleemusic.ca/main/guitars.cfm?details=1&id=250&inv=97162

would that be a wise decision to buy that amp as a starter? Also, unfortunately my sibling was playing with my guitar and a string snapped :/ so Ill need to order new ones, are there any requirements when ordering guitar strings? or is it ok if I order these : http://www.tomleemusic.ca/main/guitars.cfm?details=1&id=256&inv=111882

anything else Ill need to start out? like a cord that connects the guitar to the amp? Thanks again :)

Oh, and the reason I want a basic amp with a headphone jack is my neighbours get mad easily at loud noises...which is ironic since they blast rap music at 2am, but I dont mind since I have a pair of Shure e500's to break in :D

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Look at this thread:

http://guitarscanada.com/Board/showthread.php?p=35448#post35448

It contains info on a software guitar amp, all you need to do is get a cable to connect your guitar to your computer. Its good enough for practicing on your own if you are just starting out.

There are a few threads on good small practice amps on this fourm as well. I'm sure someone will come allong and point you in the right direction. I haven't bought a new amp in decades, so I can't help you there.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I think Ill go ahead and place the order, unless someone might know any better stores that sell guitar accessories, still wondering if I need a cable to connect my guitar to the amp (obviously I do, just wondering if the amp would come with it)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well, theres always craigslist, I might try that first, are there any requirements for guitar cables, like are they exclusive to certain amps or are they all the same? and whats the average price for a decent one?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Nah, as far as I'm concerned they're all pretty much the same. As long as it's 1/4 inch on each end you should be okay. I think I paid about $30 for the 6 foot cable I have.

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
...note: you can buy super cheap guitar cables, which will give you nothing but trouble. tell the salesguy that you want an inexpensive but fully reliable cable.

best value recommendation? planet waves.

-dh

·
Registered
272 Posts
david henman said:
...note: you can buy super cheap guitar cables, which will give you nothing but trouble. tell the salesguy that you want an inexpensive but fully reliable cable.

best value recommendation? planet waves.

-dh
+1 (at least)

I would also agree that they're a 'value' recommendation. I've had mine for about 6 years and other than the gold plating wearing off it looks new with no audible signs of wear.

·
Registered
272 Posts
presk said:
hmm I went with signalflex for my guitar cable, bad move?
Only time will tell. If you're still not having problems a few years down the road then it was a good move :). I'm sure by the time you have to replace even a cheapo cord you'd have spent more in strings than that several times over: don't worry - enjoy :food-smiley-004: .

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ya I cant wait till all the stuff gets here, but replacing the strings seems difficult :confused-smiley-010

1 - 19 of 19 Posts