The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

21 - 40 of 60 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,473 Posts
1. :presonus AudioBox 96 or Presonus iTwo (the iTwo works with tablets/iPads as well) Both have two combo jacks, phantom power and MIDI connections.

2. If you want to go really cheap, the Apex 415 LDC works fine. If you spend a bit more, look at Audio-Technica's stuff.

3. Reaper. Best DAW I've ever used. A bit of a learning curve, but there's excellent support and communities of users to help you along.

4. AKG K77 phones. I've done most of my tracking and preliminary mixing on these. Decent isolation, comfortable, and relatively un-hyped low end.

·
Registered
12,495 Posts
2. If you want to go really cheap, the Apex 415 LDC works fine. If you spend a bit more, look at Audio-Technica's stuff.
sold one on Saturday, decent mic actually. a few different patterns and options. got $120 but would have taken $80 so OP can probably get one cheap. I think it has been replaced with the 'B' version now

·
Registered
578 Posts
I'm in the same situation for setting up home recording...
I've narrowed the interface down to either Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 or Audient iD4. Most reviews claim Audient has better preamps over Scarlett, and given they just introduced the MkII version, places earlier generation iD4s (and iD44s for more $$) are clearing out at the same price as the 3rd generation 2i2. One concern is the USB 3/C connectivity on newer generation interfaces; in the case of the Audient MkII, USB power requirements are above up beyond what my MacBook USB3 ports can provide at 500mA. Depending on your computer's vintage, you may want to dig into its specs as well as the interfaces on your short list!

·
Premium Member
17,540 Posts
2i4, get the pad and i/o. Mine came in very handy doing pre production.

·
Registered
161 Posts
You can spend a LOT of money in a hurry when you get into recording. Buy the newest interface, but try to go used on the microphones. Don't ask me how I know.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
For mics, I actually don't prefer an SM 57 or 58 for any use. For electric guitar, I prefer a Sennheiser e609, and for vocals and acoustic I would use a condenser. The sm 57/58 sounds quite bleh for acoustic guitar, and in my opinion just 'okay' for a miced cab.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
For mics, I actually don't prefer an SM 57 or 58 for any use. For electric guitar, I prefer a Sennheiser e609, and for vocals and acoustic I would use a condenser. The sm 57/58 sounds quite bleh for acoustic guitar, and in my opinion just 'okay' for a miced cab.
I think a lot of people who record guitar with a 57, also use another mic at the same time and then blend to taste. So the 57 is just part of the final sound.

·
Registered
12,495 Posts
the 57 is a solid, basic and affordable option with a tried and true record. just be careful if buying used, I feel like it is the most counterfeited mic out there right now

·
Premium Member
17,540 Posts
Heres my suggestion: dont mic an amp.

Grab a used l6 hx stomp, a mic pre, vocal mic of your choosing and go. Use the IR's for guitar and bass, use the mic pre in front of the stomp (in/out, maybe a compressor block) for the vocals.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
I have the focusrite 2i2...my 2c...at least get 4i4...i didnt think about midi possibilites when i got mine, and shouldve
The only downside too of the 2i2 is that, the 'gain' isnt quite there to work an sm57 or 58 on quieter things...like voices...you may need an external preamp,but works fine with my at2020

FWIW....i do all my recordings with a 2i2, a 57 or the AT2020, and reaper...
I really can't imagine this is true. You're saying the most common vocal mic in the world doesn't work properly with the Scarlett interfaces without an external preamp? I have both but haven't tried it yet but I used a 58 for years with an M-Audio Fast Track Pro with no problems. I highly doubt the M-Audio had oodles more gain then the Scarlett

·
Registered
49 Posts
Depends on what you want in terms of quality in your recordings. I have ProTools, a bunch of mics, MOTU, iRig, Teac, mixers, etc. etc. But sometimes I just stick my iPad in front of an amp, plug in my headphones, and lay something in GarageBand, then send it to someone else to clean and upload into a demo. i consider the latter setup free, because I bought the iPad for other uses.

·
Registered
6,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Depends on what you want in terms of quality in your recordings. I have ProTools, a bunch of mics, MOTU, iRig, Teac, mixers, etc. etc. But sometimes I just stick my iPad in front of an amp, plug in my headphones, and lay something in GarageBand, then send it to someone else to clean and upload into a demo. i consider the latter setup free, because I bought the iPad for other uses.
Its just for fun for me. Right now I have an Apex USB mic that cost under $100. If I get better quality than that I'm happy. I'm not looking for high end super quality.

·
Registered
976 Posts
In ten years anything you've recorded is worth more than what you didn't record because your tools aren't quite "good enough."

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
I really can't imagine this is true. You're saying the most common vocal mic in the world doesn't work properly with the Scarlett interfaces without an external preamp? I have both but haven't tried it yet but I used a 58 for years with an M-Audio Fast Track Pro with no problems. I highly doubt the M-Audio had oodles more gain then the Scarlett
i didn't say it didn't work...but it is quieter than with the AT2020...
you don't have to take my word for it...use google

·
Registered
6,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Thank you everyone for all the advice and recommendations. This is my first foray in to recording equipment. I have done some recording in the past with a USB recording mic and Cool edit pro but that was a few years ago. Since I've just recorded with that same USB mic and my webcam for youtube vids.
So with this type of gear I'm a total newb.
This is what I'll be picking up this weekend to allow me to complete some collaboration projects I have. To start this is only to record my electric guitar to do the guitar tracks for some friends on their bedtracks.

1. Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
2. Sennheiser e609 eventually may add an sm57 and\or AT2020 but I'll start with the e609. I used to own it.
3. Audio-Technica ATH-M50X
4. For software probably Reaper but I may check out the free cakewalk as well.

As I progress through this recording learning curve a few months down the road I'll be considering these choices for acoustic guitar and vocal recording and dabble in to mixing.

1. Audio-Technica AT4040 and\or Rode NT1A
2. KRK Rokit RP8 gen 4 monitors

·
Premium Member
17,540 Posts
If you want a 2i4, let me know.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Thank you everyone for all the advice and recommendations. This is my first foray in to recording equipment. I have done some recording in the past with a USB recording mic and Cool edit pro but that was a few years ago. Since I've just recorded with that same USB mic and my webcam for youtube vids.
So with this type of gear I'm a total newb.
This is what I'll be picking up this weekend to allow me to complete some collaboration projects I have. To start this is only to record my electric guitar to do the guitar tracks for some friends on their bedtracks.

1. Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
2. Sennheiser e609 eventually may add an sm57 and\or AT2020 but I'll start with the e609. I used to own it.
3. Audio-Technica ATH-M50X
4. For software probably Reaper but I may check out the free cakewalk as well.

As I progress through this recording learning curve a few months down the road I'll be considering these choices for acoustic guitar and vocal recording and dabble in to mixing.

1. Audio-Technica AT4040 and\or Rode NT1A
2. KRK Rokit RP8 gen 4 monitors
If you are in a small area like a spare room, 8 inch monitors might be too big. Too much bass for a small area.

21 - 40 of 60 Posts