The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,462 Posts
You're telling me I should be flipping guitars to pay off my student loans? What do I even go to work for?
LoL.

Flipping isn't a crime in my books. Why should L&M get ALL the money? However, I'd suggest staying far away from the temptation to blur the lines and fudge the truth if you're going to do it. After dealing with David a few times personally, my impression is that David has a compulsion that is not unlike an addiction. Like many who suffer from such things, I think it clouds his better judgement.

·
Premium Member
6,215 Posts
LoL.

Flipping isn't a crime in my books. Why should L&M get ALL the money? However, I'd suggest staying far away from the temptation to blur the lines and fudge the truth if you're going to do it. After dealing with David a few times personally, my impression is that David has a compulsion that is not unlike an addiction. Like many who suffer from such things, I think it clouds his better judgement.
I'm a public school teacher. It ain't worth the hassle for me to piss off the local communities.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I found this guitar on Kijiji the other day and phoned the seller. I talked with the seller (Vic) on the phone for a long time. I posted about it on MyLesPaul and was pointed here. The asking price is still too high for me to be serious on it, but the seller did insinuate the whole time that this was built from a kit by a "guy in Hamilton" who has built very good LP replicas. I assumed he was talking about Tom Bartlett, but see now (in the 12 page thread from December) that Tom had nothing to do with this guitar. Kinda a shame. I was hoping for sub-2000 price, knowing it was a replica, but that was not the case.

For posterity:
59 Burst (sell/trade) | Guitars | City of Toronto | Kijiji

·
Registered
4 Posts
I found this guitar on Kijiji the other day and phoned the seller. I talked with the seller (Vic) on the phone for a long time. I posted about it on MyLesPaul and was pointed here. The asking price is still too high for me to be serious on it, but the seller did insinuate the whole time that this was built from a kit by a "guy in Hamilton" who has built very good LP replicas. I assumed he was talking about Tom Bartlett, but see now (in the 12 page thread from December) that Tom had nothing to do with this guitar. Kinda a shame. I was hoping for sub-2000 price, knowing it was a replica, but that was not the case.

For posterity:
59 Burst (sell/trade) | Guitars | City of Toronto | Kijiji
A "guy in Hamilton...", is he trying to insinuate that this was built by The Guitar Clinic (ala Mike Spicer)? I know he built some really nice 59 Clones back in the day, that go for a pretty penny now.
I also know some of the Luthiers that have built these replica's don't really like to be named, or to talk about them... out of fear for a lawsuit from the folks at Gibson.
Either way, it seems strange that no one seems to know who this was built by. That is a lot of coin to drop on such an ambiguous guitar.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I almost got suckered into this guitar at one point. He wouldn’t specify who built it, however he did mention “guy in Hamilton” I happened to see this thread after I passed on the guitar and obviously very happy I did. I hope I don’t offend anyone on here but this is probably the worst “burst” finish I have ever seen….period. Looks like an epiphone.

41 - 49 of 49 Posts