The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
That’s great that I have a Flair advertisement at the top of the page.

Flair says one carry on item up to 7kg.

I’ve considered it to go to Toronto for the day, you know, to check out some guitars, but the flights to Hamilton are at night and the flights to Winnipeg are in the morning.

If you want to go to Edmonton on Swoop, you have to go through Abbotsford.

It’s really cheap to go from Edmonton to Vancouver ($9?).

·
Registered
456 Posts
Never flown one in Canada, but flown a few in Europe (Ryan Air, Easy Jet). If you're not tall, travelling light (one small carry-on luggage) and on a short flight (2-3 hours top), they may be ok. The leg space is usually ridiculous (I'm 5'10 and always feel horribly uncomfortable in those flights). Plus you don't get any on flight entertainment, nor food/drink. You'll just get a glass of water. I wouldn't do a Toronto/Vancouver on these. A Toronto/Montreal might be ok.

No complaint about the crew though, always had nice people in these planes!

·
Premium Member
11,786 Posts
wow Im so out of touch. I didn't know we even had "bargain airlines" in Canada. always just seemed like a choice between west jet and AC, both suck.
Do they do international flights or just domestic?

Reactions: amagras

·
Premium Member
3,031 Posts
I'll find out in August when I take a "Swoop" flight from Hamilton to Halifax. I opted for a "more leg room" option. Trying to manage expectations though.

Reactions: Budda

·
Premium Member
13,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Edmonton - Kelowna. I've seen them listed for as low a $49 one way. Once you are at altitude, flight is 50 minutes before you start decent. Avg. flight time is 75+ minutes. I usually take a suitcase - checked, a camera bag - carry on and small shoulder bag.

·
Premium Member
27,284 Posts
My son tells me that a big chunk of the cost of air travel is the landing fee that airports charge the carrier. As you might expect, major airports in the big cities charge carriers more than secondary or tertiary airports. That's why they'll fly into and out of places like Hamilton and Abbotsford, rather than Toronto or Vancouver.

What exactly a "big chunk" is, I have no idea. Here is Pearson Airport's fee schedule. Airport Charges and Fees Here is Hamilton's: http://flyhamilton.ca/app/uploads/2017/01/Tariff-2017-Final.pdf Keep in mind that the fee per passenger has to be added to the more general landing/maintenance costs, and then amortized over passengers. In other words, it costs the carrier X-amount to simply land or take off, and the per-passenger fees are added on top of that. All of that gets factored into the overhead costs, along with fuel, personnel costs for pilot and flight-attendants, etc.

·
Premium Member
13,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I can book a return Westjet flight for $60 more for the exact same dates. Better time selection. (with the insomnia and mild sleep apnea, I am not exactly a morning person) . With Westjet I know exactly what I am getting and what to expect.

·
Registered
12,116 Posts
Do they strap you to the top of a "Emergency supplies" crate before they shove you out the back of the plane as they do a parachute drop?
No seatbelts or anything like that. I did think that everyone parachuting out of the plane while it flies over the destination would cut down on landing fees. It would be a win/win situation for everyone.

·
Registered
18,593 Posts
you gotta be careful about those budget flights. i got a cheap flight once, but when i showed up, they wanted to strap me to the wing...
That still is so much better than just "strapping" you. Getting strapped is quite painful.:)

Reactions: cheezyridr
1 - 20 of 23 Posts