The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We all know how important the bass is to all music. Well, here's a great example of how pivotal the bass can be to the song. I found this on YouTube, it's Paul McCartneys "Silly Love Songs" but it's the bare bones of the song featuring only Pauls vocal, his bass and Joe English on drums.

No piano, strings, horn section, guitars or backing vocals. Even in this bare bones version you can hear how the bass more or less defines and carries the song. I know Robert1950 isn't a fan of this song but for those who appreciate a well crafted song it's fascinating to listen to.

L

·
0 Posts
Cool that you found that. Makes it easier to learn.
I'm trying to talk the band into putting that on our set list.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Wonder what bass, it’s got some nice bounce...would that be a Hofner?
As ronmac said, it's a Rickenbacker. That's what he was using at that time.

Cool that you found that. Makes it easier to learn.
I'm trying to talk the band into putting that on our set list.
Yeah, I was surprised by that find. Here's a website that has both the tab and music available for download in .pdf format:
Bass Transcription – Silly Love Songs by Paul McCartney and Wings

Sounds like a rick with a pick on flats....
You're right ronmac. He was using a Rick.

·
Registered
103 Posts
There's such a difference when a band/performer understands the the importance of the bass and utilizes it! There are plenty of rock songs out there you could do this with and you'd just hear the bass droning out the chord changes 4 beats at a time with maybe a little flourish at the turn around. Thanks for posting this!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts