The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was driving in today and I heard Uncle John's Band by the Grateful Dead. I do not like the Dead, but I gave it a listen for old times sake. Nope! I don't like it. Oddly though, I have always liked Friend of the Devil. That is a really good tune.
Later along the 401 I heard "Middle of the Road" by the Pretenders. Now.... to say I hate the Pretenders, may seem harsh. But, legit, I f*cking hate the Pretenders. But for all that ire for the band as a whole, I really, really, like REALLY love the song Middle of the Road. What a rocking, energy driven masterpiece song. It starts at 100 miles an hour right in your face, and never lets up the intensity. Such a great tune.

What did they do to that song that they cannot do to get me to tolerate any of the others?? Who knows...

Anyway, got any like that??

·
Registered
3,924 Posts
Yeah yeah I know. I tried listening to them, but just couldn't. It happens. Same with RHCP. So overplayed that any like I had for them is gone as well. Maybe the Can-Con on radios didn't help, but I just couldn't get into them, even if I tried hard. I really enjoy OLP if that helps. I've seen them twice even.

·
Premium Member
497 Posts
My singer hated the hip too, until we said "you don't have a choice here, we are playing at least one hip tune if we are playing bars". So now that he gave them a fair chance, he loves them. You'll get it eventually lol

·
Registered
2016 Gibson Les Paul Special LTD.... 2019 Gibson Les Paul Traditional Tobacco
836 Posts
Dont like the hip...huh. 😆 Ive tried to arrange jams but after a few back and forth texts they eventually disclose their hate for The Hip. Then the convo ends. Ive never met anyone brave enough to publicly admit to hating the Hip. They would be shunned and never trusted. 😂

·
Premium Member
4,017 Posts
Not quite the same thing, but when I first listened to Doctor and the Medics' "Laughing at the Pieces" album, I was expecting everything to sound like "Spirit in the Sky". But "Spirit" was a real outlier. I really enjoyed the album, but I could see how someone would be disappointed if they bought it based on the hit single.

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Kinda surprised all the Hip haters, but I guess not really. I've met a few brave souls who have stated their displeasure over Canada's National Treasure (just kidding, they are not).
I used to get bent out of shape, then thought, I wouldn't care if someone said they didn't like the Cure, or Bauhaus. (those I understand).

You like (and don't like) what you want.

Except Zeppelin.

"Not being a fan Led Zeppelin, is kind of like not being normal". Dave Mustaine

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I really enjoy OLP if that helps. I've seen them twice even.
OLP's first release was good. Starseed, Julia, and Naveed were fantastic. I was looking forward to their second LP, but it sucked, and I have not liked a single song since.

And for the record, just cause you dislike a common band, you don't need to justify it by stating your love of (what some may say is) a similar band. You're in a safe space Verne.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts